The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Rudi on March 12, 2022, 09:29:56 PM
Good times for irish rugby compared to the late 80s early 90s when we could hardly win a game. The u20s have 4 from 4 & face bottom Scotland at home to win the grand slam.

In the 14 seasons between 1986 and 1999, Ireland won 12, drew two and lost 42 matches, and were never remotely title contenders

They had a great team in 1973 however.

https://youtu.be/hwcpVNFdSBs

seafoid

France look like they will be ready for the Rugby World Cup.
England have work to do .

Hound

Ready now is not ready for the World Cup. As we know all too well.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on March 14, 2022, 08:09:25 AM
Ready now is not ready for the World Cup. As we know all too well.
Not sure if that applies to pack weights. France are huge

seafoid

A Triple Crown is always welcome.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2022, 11:09:52 AM

If France and England draw, have Ireland a chance of stealing in with a bonus point victory over the Scots?

Rudi

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2022, 11:46:54 AM

If France and England draw, have Ireland a chance of stealing in with a bonus point victory over the Scots?

They can win outright without a bonus point if England / France draw.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Rudi on March 14, 2022, 12:05:03 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2022, 11:46:54 AM

They can win outright without a bonus point if England / France draw.

Yes, that's what that last try gave them. Also, if England win, any win against the Scots will be enough
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

I'll be putting my money on a French win by at least 9 points.. Even though for large parts Ireland were rubbish, England haven't been great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2022, 01:54:05 PM
I'll be putting my money on a French win by at least 9 points.. Even though for large parts Ireland were rubbish, England haven't been great
Yes for all their gallant defence against a misfiring Ireland team, they scored zero tries. Having said that France didn't look amazing against Wales but crucially they didn't go all "France" and hit the self-destruct button when the going got tough.

On another note, I'd recommend "Slammed" on BBC - excellent 3 parter on Wales rugby team from 1998-2008 and all the politics that went along with it.

seafoid

There will be no pressure on England.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2022, 02:53:18 PM
There will be no pressure on England.
They'll likely finish 4th if they lose so plenty of pressure on Eddie Jones I'd say. They'll not roll over.

Gmac

Remember 2007 Ireland slaughtered the English in croke  park ? well England made it to the wc final that year and we were absolutely brutal in the wc,  England normally get the World Cup preparations right us on  The other hand not so much.

Estimator

Hard to see how England can score enough to beat France on Saturday. Only 7 tries scored and 5 of them against Italy. Only one each against Scotland and Wales.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on March 14, 2022, 07:11:32 PM
Remember 2007 Ireland slaughtered the English in croke  park ? well England made it to the wc final that year and we were absolutely brutal in the wc,  England normally get the World Cup preparations right us on  The other hand not so much.
In 2015 they didn't get past the pool stage.
That's why Farrell and Lancaster are working for the IRFU now.