The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

I wasn't familiar with Craig Casey, is he really 5'5"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dec on February 25, 2022, 03:52:50 PM
I wasn't familiar with Craig Casey, is he really 5'5"
Probably is about that. Lowry can't be much more than 5'6" or 7". Hasn't held them back.

Capt Pat

Casey is only 5 foot 5 inches but he is still a good rubgy player.

screenexile

Bullshit there didn't like the red card and the 13 men thing is stupid.

I know it was meant to be easy but this has completely destroyed the atmosphere!!

Rudi

Rugby has some ridiculous rules, has reduced Ireland v Italy to a pointless game as a contest.

Milltown Row2

Was out watching it and this rule is brought into protect players in the scrum. As for the red card I was looking at a yellow. The red was too much, ruined it for both teams and audience

Ireland did what they needed to do.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Red cards for O Mahony and a Scotch player both against Wales destroyed last years championship as well. There was no need for a red card today but the rules don't leave the refs with any option but to send players off.

It is a physical mans game and needs to be reffed as such. It is not the chess world championship.

thewobbler

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 27, 2022, 09:24:59 PM
Red cards for O Mahony and a Scotch player both against Wales destroyed last years championship as well. There was no need for a red card today but the rules don't leave the refs with any option but to send players off.

It is a physical mans game and needs to be reffed as such. It is not the chess world championship.
Agreed.

Gmac

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2022, 10:15:17 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on February 27, 2022, 09:24:59 PM

Agreed.
every second  decision in rugby in northern hemisphere rugby goes to the Tmo but watch a game of Southern Hemisphere rugby and they barely use them, much more free flowing and way easier watch

thewobbler

The difference in my mind is that in the northern hemisphere they're all too aware that the lawsuits are coming, so they're trying to get in front.

I've said multiple times on rugby threads that the professional game is fucked. Insurance will kill it. But while we have the game, referees really should be allowed to interpret the difference between the potential outcome and the actual outcome.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2022, 11:33:31 PM
The difference in my mind is that in the northern hemisphere they're all too aware that the lawsuits are coming, so they're trying to get in front.

I've said multiple times on rugby threads that the professional game is fucked. Insurance will kill it. But while we have the game, referees really should be allowed to interpret the difference between the potential outcome and the actual outcome.
In the northern hemisphere the national teams play 5 matches in the 6N. If they are pro they train more and are bigger but is it really justifiable?  Amateurs might play a more sustainable game.

tiempo

Amateur level is just as brutal pound for pound, right down to social level, lads cross the white line mainly for a tear up, which is fine, but the risks aren't going away any time soon unless its recodified to something not resembling rugby as we know it

seafoid

The IRFU make around 5 million per full house in the 6N. That won't cover many class action dementia claims.

johnnycool

"The laws dictated that the Azzurri would have to then bring on a front rower for what would be uncontested scrums and, in doing so, lose yet another player from elsewhere on the field. Off went their winger Pierre Bruno and they were down to 13 men."

I've saw this quoted in several media outlets, but can I get clarification...

I understand the need to replace a front rower with a front rower even if there's little danger to a "untrained" person in an uncontested scrum but they're not down to 13, they've 14 on the field, but three of those are props...

Is that not the way it played out?

Tony Baloney

Basically the new law is to prevent the team who has had a man sent off from getting an advantage from an uncontested scrum so they are further penalised by nominating an additional player to leave the field. But it totally kills the match is the bit they missed!