The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2022, 12:29:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2022, 12:26:04 AM
Questioned the not kicking into touch rather than taking the 3 points to my well knowledgeable  rugby friend today, he said 3 points and a chance to kick another 3  points was better considering Ireland's poor line outs during the game, up on till late on in the second half France were more disciplined and not giving up penalties, but more pressure provided Ireland with a chance to not not lose.

It's easy to say kick to corner but they were not convincing during the game, it would have been a complete steal had Ireland won
Another pen would have given them a draw. It was the wrong decision. 3 points or no points probably irrelevant - line-out maul is in the DNA of this Ireland team for the last 10 years so it should have been the option. Risk vs reward it was the wrong decision but it didn't lose them the match. There were other poor decisions in the last 10.

I asked the question because I thought go to the corner, his view was that they'd been so poor that the chance to draw was better than losing, now the championship will be France's.

But as you say from what I seen (30 minutes onwards) Ireland didn't deserve to win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Funnily enough I had the same chat with the young fella last week as they had a match and they had a relatively straightforward penalty to put them relatively safe with 10 mins left but they went to the corner. I asked do the teachers or the kickers chose and apparently the kicker didn't even know the score  ;D

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2022, 12:39:37 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2022, 12:29:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2022, 12:26:04 AM
Questioned the not kicking into touch rather than taking the 3 points to my well knowledgeable  rugby friend today, he said 3 points and a chance to kick another 3  points was better considering Ireland's poor line outs during the game, up on till late on in the second half France were more disciplined and not giving up penalties, but more pressure provided Ireland with a chance to not not lose.

It's easy to say kick to corner but they were not convincing during the game, it would have been a complete steal had Ireland won
Another pen would have given them a draw. It was the wrong decision. 3 points or no points probably irrelevant - line-out maul is in the DNA of this Ireland team for the last 10 years so it should have been the option. Risk vs reward it was the wrong decision but it didn't lose them the match. There were other poor decisions in the last 10.

I asked the question because I thought go to the corner, his view was that they'd been so poor that the chance to draw was better than losing, now the championship will be France's.

But as you say from what I seen (30 minutes onwards) Ireland didn't deserve to win

They scored two second half tries from kicks to the corner. Think they bottled it after they lost the one off the Beirne kick.

Good game, one Ireland could, but probably shouldn't have won.

Walter Cronc

Time to put Conor Murray out to pasture. Offers nothing from the bench!

tiempo

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 14, 2022, 08:40:08 AM

Personally i think he should be starting, he is Irish after all

Is there anything to be said for a third anthem for the Antipodean cohort?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tiempo on February 14, 2022, 09:04:12 AM

I'd start Casey or Doak over him he's that poor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 14, 2022, 09:14:52 AM
Quote from: tiempo on February 14, 2022, 09:04:12 AM

I'd start Casey or Doak over him he's that poor.

On Doak's current form he'd be an upgrade based on Murray's age and and form
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Yep Doak is the long term Irish 9 for me. Think Casey's progress has stalled a bit. Doak serious off the tee as well.

johnnycool

Feckin box kicking all the time.... Does my head in and I don't think we ever gained possession back from one of them...

As for the game itself, it was looking dire for most of the first half, France were bossing everything and only for the opportunistic try from Hansen to steal in over two French lads it was curtains..

Credit where it's due though, Ireland fought their way back into it only for unforced errors, knock ons and the odd attacking lineout going astray would have had France under even more pressure than they did.
Yes, taking the three points from the penalty rather than going for the corner did seem to be a different mentality than what we've seen recently from them and irrespective of who's captain that should be an ingrained culture within the group which evidently isn't the case. Ryan carrying the can for that one but he may have been right to take the three and then garner possession from the restart and build from there, a big ask all the same but then this;;

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 12, 2022, 06:37:52 PM
Far far too many handling errors. Big mistake not going to the corner with that penalty on 73mins. The garyowen with the clock about to go red was ridiculously stupid but hey it seems to be the Irish tactic for a decade now to just kick possession away

That was indeed the height of stupidity, couldn't believe it.

Losing point garnered and France not getting the 4 trys still keeps Ireland in contention if France have a slip up in Twickenham.

Plus the French might be a bit more concerned if the two meet again the the WC come the time.

Dag Dog

Quote from: johnnycool on February 14, 2022, 11:08:01 AM

Feckin box kicking all the time.... Does my head in and I don't think we ever gained possession back from one of them...

As for the game itself, it was looking dire for most of the first half, France were bossing everything and only for the opportunistic try from Hansen to steal in over two French lads it was curtains..

Credit where it's due though, Ireland fought their way back into it only for unforced errors, knock ons and the odd attacking lineout going astray would have had France under even more pressure than they did.
Yes, taking the three points from the penalty rather than going for the corner did seem to be a different mentality than what we've seen recently from them and irrespective of who's captain that should be an ingrained culture within the group which evidently isn't the case. Ryan carrying the can for that one but he may have been right to take the three and then garner possession from the restart and build from there, a big ask all the same but then this;;

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 12, 2022, 06:37:52 PM
Far far too many handling errors. Big mistake not going to the corner with that penalty on 73mins. The garyowen with the clock about to go red was ridiculously stupid but hey it seems to be the Irish tactic for a decade now to just kick possession away

That was indeed the height of stupidity, couldn't believe it.

Losing point garnered and France not getting the 4 trys still keeps Ireland in contention if France have a slip up in Twickenham.

Plus the French might be a bit more concerned if the two meet again the the WC come the time.

England play France in Paris, so less chance of the French slipping up.
Though it is still possible.

seafoid

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2022, 12:17:05 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/02/17/south-africa-look-join-six-nations-could-expense-italy/

South Africa look to join Six Nations - and it could be at the expense of Italy
It is proving deeply unpopular from the reaction I have seen online.

seafoid

The Six Nations sold a 14.3 per cent stake in the Six Nations to CVC  last year for a cost of £365 million. CVC is Private Equity.

The All Blacks did a similar deal with an outfit called silver Lake.
There will probably be lots of change.

johnnycool

Carbery gets a start even with a fit Sexton, IMO the right decision with the WC in mind.

Lowry also gets the nod, good to see new blood in there.

Ireland: 15 Michael Lowry, 14 Mack Hansen, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 James Lowe, 10 Joey Carbery, 9 Jamison Gibson-Park, 8 Caelan Doris, 7 Josh van der Flier, 6 Peter O'Mahony (c), 5 Ryan Baird, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Dan Sheehan, 1 Andrew Porter
Replacements: 16 Rob Herring, 17 Dave Kilcoyne, 18 Finlay Bealham, 19 Kieran Treadwell, 20 Jack Conan, 21 Craig Casey, 22 Johnny Sexton, 23 James Hume

Tony Baloney

I'd say they're resting Sexton for Twickenham. That's a good 15 and nice to see Lowry starting. Gibson-Park isn't the long-term answer at 9 imo.