The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 14, 2021, 04:37:01 PM
Grealish was born in england brought up in england even played his gaa in england, so no, i dont think thats what hes on about at all mr2

I'd a list up, all of them born in England, like Grealish, I personally don't see the difference, if any of those players were given the opportunity to play for England, would they have chosen Ireland?

He said about Brazilian or Argentine rejects, big jacks team was a English b team, or English rejects  ;)

If the rule is there then fine, use it, but stop complaining when people use it to their advantage or feel ones use of a rule is better than someone else's.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 14, 2021, 05:41:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on November 14, 2021, 03:18:47 PM
cannot compare irish soccer players brought up in england from irish families with the rugby situation.

if the soccer side start turning out brasil, argentina etc rejects then you could argue that it's the same  ::)

So Grealish, who hurled and played Gaelic football as a youngster, even played for Ireland youth soccer, those brought up in Irish families in England? Are they the ones you're talking about?

What's yoir point here? He is diaspora, clearly has two national identities. He was happy to develop as part of the Irish youth setup but unfortunately the commercial reality hit and was driven home by his agent who regrets another player in Bale sticking with Wales. You win some you lose some.

It's ludicrous and racist to label kids born in England or Scotland to Irish parents who chose to play for Ireland as 'plastics'.  Outrageous and on a GAA board?

Loads of people born in England perceive themselves as Irish. James Lowe evidently doesn't perceive himself as Irish . Rugby will finish as a sport if it continues to shoot itself in the foot. New Zealand, pacific islands and arguably Wales are the only countries where it's the major sport. If rugby is trying to compete for hearts and minds in other countries, it's going to have to regain some credibility. James Lowe is a great player and good luck to him in availing of the rules , but his interview yesterday exposing the farce that international rugby has become. Genuinely embarrassing

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 05:49:12 PM
Grealish was born in england brought up in england even played his gaa in england, so no, i dont think thats what hes on about at all mr2

I'd a list up, all of them born in England, like Grealish, I personally don't see the difference, if any of those players were given the opportunity to play for England, would they have chosen Ireland?

He said about Brazilian or Argentine rejects, big jacks team was a English b team, or English rejects  ;)

If the rule is there then fine, use it, but stop complaining when people use it to their advantage or feel ones use of a rule is better than someone else's.

The difference is night and day. But if you cant see it or dont want to we'll leave it there, ive seen you in action before 😃😉

JoG2

Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2021, 05:51:28 PM
cannot compare irish soccer players brought up in england from irish families with the rugby situation.

if the soccer side start turning out brasil, argentina etc rejects then you could argue that it's the same  ::)

So Grealish, who hurled and played Gaelic football as a youngster, even played for Ireland youth soccer, those brought up in Irish families in England? Are they the ones you're talking about?

What's yoir point here? He is diaspora, clearly has two national identities. He was happy to develop as part of the Irish youth setup but unfortunately the commercial reality hit and was driven home by his agent who regrets another player in Bale sticking with Wales. You win some you lose some.

It's ludicrous and racist to label kids born in England or Scotland to Irish parents who chose to play for Ireland as 'plastics'.  Outrageous and on a GAA board?

Loads of people born in England perceive themselves as Irish. James Lowe evidently doesn't perceive himself as Irish . Rugby will finish as a sport if it continues to shoot itself in the foot. New Zealand, pacific islands and arguably Wales are the only countries where it's the major sport.

Eh, this isn't a new thing and rugby has managed to survive

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: JoG2 on November 14, 2021, 05:55:58 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2021, 05:51:28 PM

Loads of people born in England perceive themselves as Irish. James Lowe evidently doesn't perceive himself as Irish . Rugby will finish as a sport if it continues to shoot itself in the foot. New Zealand, pacific islands and arguably Wales are the only countries where it's the major sport.

Eh, this isn't a new thing and rugby has managed to survive

It's a new thing here and is rugby improving on the pitch and thriving off it as a result?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 14, 2021, 05:54:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 05:49:12 PM

The difference is night and day. But if you cant see it or dont want to we'll leave it there, ive seen you in action before 😃😉

It's just anti soccer bigotry. It's just quare to see a Gael use rugby as a positive example to abuse soccer.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on November 14, 2021, 04:09:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2021, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2021, 02:17:06 PM
It's a ludicrous rule but teams will exploit it to the maximum whilst it still exists. Players with absolutely no genealogical link to the country, just simply living and getting paid to play professionally there. It's an issue for rugby itself to solve but I don't see it changing anytime soon since there are so few countries who play the game at the highest level.

Imagine the outcry if the GAA brought in such a rule at intercounty level.   

But it is there?

Maybe you're right, Seanie Johnson instantly springs to mind!

No Sean Johnston was never a resident of Kildare.

Larry Tompkins, Shay Fahy, Karl O'Dwyer, Padraig Brogan, Martin Carney, Sean Lowry, Dan O'Neill (1957), Owen Mulligan, John Meyler, Tomas Tierney, Brian Murphy,

Milltown Row2

Let's get it straight from the start, soccer is way down my list of sports, rugby just as far down, I'd rather watch athletes over those sports btw.

It's the rules you are complaining about, if the rules allow non Irish born players to play for Ireland then so be it, having Irish grandparents makes it feel better for some I suppose, but if the country of their birth asked them to play they will pick England over Ireland every time, Rice and Grealish being the two obvious recent ones.

But I'm a racist for saying it!? Balloon

Change the rules and move on

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 06:08:35 PM
Let's get it straight from the start, soccer is way down my list of sports, rugby just as far down, I'd rather watch athletes over those sports btw.

It's the rules you are complaining about, if the rules allow non Irish born players to play for Ireland then so be it, having Irish grandparents makes it feel better for some I suppose, but if the country of their birth asked them to play they will pick England over Ireland every time, Rice and Grealish being the two obvious recent ones.

Because of the size of our nation and the huge hold Gaelic Games have, both have to look outside the norm for players that will make both codes competitive on an international stage and keep us relevant.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 06:12:36 PM

Because of the size of our nation and the huge hold Gaelic Games have, both have to look outside the norm for players that will make both codes competitive on an international stage and keep us relevant.

And that's fine, but at a professional level, these players chose to suit themselves, not who their grandma's are!

If you have a rule to play only Irish players in any sport you'll have players home grown and invested to playing for their country.

Itchy

Congrats Ireland. Another HUGE Autumn challenge game victory.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 06:21:38 PM

And that's fine, but at a professional level, these players chose to suit themselves, not who their grandma's are!

If you have a rule to play only Irish players in any sport you'll have players home grown and invested to playing for their country.

The problem is you won't have enough players of a decent standard.

Soccer Countries like Denmark. Uruguay, Norway, Croatia with small populations like Ireland don't have a major sport like GAA to contend with.

Quote from: Itchy on November 14, 2021, 06:33:26 PM

You are late to the party with that one!

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 06:42:08 PM

Soccer Countries like Denmark. Uruguay, Norway, Croatia with small populations like Ireland don't have a major sport like GAA to contend with.

I was all day trying think of a word to describe it  I didn't want to use Heroes as the Irish Indo has that copyrighted so I just went for tried and trusted "huge" but cleverly used block capitals to stress the hugeness

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 06:42:08 PM

The nordics have ice hockey and the rest basketball