Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 10:24:43 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 19, 2021, 10:20:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 19, 2021, 10:10:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 08:01:33 PM
Paddy Jackson having a decent season with London Irish not missing much and a far better replacement for Sexton

But he is not playing in Ireland. Can you imagine the backlash if he was picked. People have long memories.

When Sexton played in France was he banned?

Sexton was world class and an exception was made. New Zealand made the same exception for Daniel Carter when he moved to France.

Paddy Jackson is a good player, but nowhere near the standard of the other lads.

There are players of similar ability playing in Ireland in his position

Agreed with your first point but Jackson was the number 2 before moving! The rest of your post is rubbish

I don't think even Paddy Jackson's family think he's as good a player as you seem to think. Jackson was number 2, but who was his competition? He certainly was nowhere close to Sexton's level the time.

Milltown Row2

I said he was the number 2 behind Sexton! Never believed he was better but a ton better than Carberry and Billy, both of them are standard players.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 10:50:05 PM
I said he was the number 2 behind Sexton! Never believed he was better but a ton better than Carberry and Billy, both of them are standard players.

Paddy Jackson was a player with great promise, but never seemed to take that next step and deliver on it.  He didn't do anything for Perpignan when he played for them and they were happy to let him go to London Irlsh.

He's 29 now so Ireland are better off looking at younger players (playing in Ireland) as a replacement for Sexton

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on March 19, 2021, 11:10:28 PM

Paddy Jackson was a player with great promise, but never seemed to take that next step and deliver on it.  He didn't do anything for Perpignan when he played for them and they were happy to let him go to London Irlsh.

He's 29 now so Ireland are better off looking at younger players (playing in Ireland) as a replacement for Sexton

Ok you've put him down and not given me a player for Ireland who's the best replacement. I've said before Jackson was always second fiddle to Sexton, but I've yet to see a better second. So knock yourself out with these other better players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 12:30:53 AM

Ok you've put him down and not given me a player for Ireland who's the best replacement. I've said before Jackson was always second fiddle to Sexton, but I've yet to see a better second. So knock yourself out with these other better players
Carberry
Harry Byrne

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on March 20, 2021, 12:38:19 AM

Carberry
Harry Byrne
Rubbish

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 12:50:33 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 20, 2021, 12:38:19 AM

Carberry
Harry Byrne
Rubbish

Get back to me when Jackson has played in a team which has beaten the All Blacks like Carbery has - at 21

Milltown Row2

He came on with 20 minutes to go in a 'friendly' in New York ya dope

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2021, 08:08:09 AM
He came on with 20 minutes to go in a 'friendly' in New York ya dope

That was in Chicago and Carbery played in the side that won the grand slam.

Joe Schmidt who knows far more than both of us considered Carbery better as well and chose him ahead of Jackson

whitegoodman

When did he pick Carbery ahead of Jackson ?

Jackson was part of the team that won in South Africa for the first time.  Carbery reminds me of Madigan.  As for the saviour that is Harry Byrne, he can't even get on ahead of his brother ffs which says enough.

It's irrelevant anyway as Jackson won't be picked by Ireland again and I don't think he would play even if he was picked.  That doesn't take away from the fact that as of this moment he is the currently the best Irish out half there is including Sexton.

dublin7

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 20, 2021, 11:39:07 AM
When did he pick Carbery ahead of Jackson ?

Jackson was part of the team that won in South Africa for the first time.  Carbery reminds me of Madigan.  As for the saviour that is Harry Byrne, he can't even get on ahead of his brother ffs which says enough.

It's irrelevant anyway as Jackson won't be picked by Ireland again and I don't think he would play even if he was picked.  That doesn't take away from the fact that as of this moment he is the currently the best Irish out half there is including Sexton.

Harry Byrne is seen as future no 10. He's only 21 but he based on his limited appearances already for Leinster he looks like a future star. Ross Byrne has played in and won big games for Leinster. He is an excellent kicker, but he doesn't have the pace or vision that his younger brother Harry has and next season I'd expect Harry to pass out Ross in the pecking order at Leinster.

Jack Carthy was looking like the no.2 behind Sexton when Carbery got injured, but his form has collapsed since the world cup.

It is irrelevant anyway. Jackson is 29, playing in England and no Irish province is going to sign him due to the negative publicity it would bring so he won't play for Ireland again.

Milltown Row2

My point was never about Jackson being the future as such, it's just that I don't see a decent replacement at all.

For such a pivotal position Ireland has been lucky for the past few years but seem lacking lately for cover

seafoid

If Ireland lose today Farrell will come under pressure.

Milltown Row2

England favourites today, Ireland up against it, be a few points either way here

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2021, 04:15:50 PM
If Ireland lose today Farrell will come under pressure.
you think? After next years six nations if things go bad he might be but think he's alright until then .
Not sure about today's game maybe they pull one out of the hat for stander .