The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

There's no way that's true there has to be a decent percentage of lads who have played GAA at Adult level for who there are chronic conditions. Anecdotally from my friends this is the case and I'm sure many others are the same story!

6th sam

Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2021, 07:18:08 PM
There's no way that's true there has to be a decent percentage of lads who have played GAA at Adult level for who there are chronic conditions. Anecdotally from my friends this is the case and I'm sure many others are the same story!

Again no disrespect, but What do you mean by "chronic conditions" and is there a proven link with them playing "GAA"?

There are well established , accepted, proven connections between inactivity and several chronic conditions eg diabetes , obesity, arthritis , heart disease .

I am not aware of well established, accepted, proven evidence to connect playing GAA per Se, with chronic conditions.

Because of the dangers to physical and mental health , of not playing sport , people need to be responsible about making loose connections without evidence .

An overweight lad , down in the pub spouting about his days playing junior football catching up on him , can not be quantified as "evidence " to discourage sport . Playing "GAA" didn't appear to catch up on Mickey linden who clocked up loads of hours of football into his 50s.

dublin7

Quote from: 6th sam on March 17, 2021, 07:08:54 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 17, 2021, 06:04:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2021, 10:08:08 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gordon-d-arcy-cj-stander-has-been-central-to-all-the-great-days-since-2016-1.4512263

In pro rugby eventually you need to pay the ferryman. The concussion stories, the early onset of dementia, being forced to go under the knife for corrective surgery on a mangled shoulder so you can carry your infant child, needing both hands to stand up from the dinner table, are just some of the issues that pursue rugby players into their forties and beyond.

If you play sport for a large part of your adult life (not just at professional level) there's a good chance your body will pay the price in later life.

No disrespect but that just isn't true. A very small percentage of sportspeople have significant health issues as a result of their sports participation. On the contrary  Those who don't take part in sport or exercise leave themselves vulnerable to significant health problems: obesity, arthritis , diabetes , blood pressure , heart disease , for starters.

Rugby is almost uniquely a recurrent high impact sport with no protective gear, and minimal rules protection .

So people don't end up with bad knees,ankles wrists etc through playing sport?

English cricketer Graeme Swann knew it was time to retire when he lost the use of his arm and dropped his baby while holding it and cricket wouldn't be known as a so called high risk sport

I have a teammate who'll need at least one hip replaced before he's 50 from playing hurling and that's only at club level.

If you play sport (especially contact sport) your are pushing your body and parts can break that you'll pay for in later life. I would have thought everyone was aware of this. To say it doesn't happen to people in other sports is just head in the sand stuff

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on March 17, 2021, 08:59:31 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gordon-d-arcy-cj-stander-has-been-central-to-all-the-great-days-since-2016-1.4512263

In pro rugby eventually you need to pay the ferryman. The concussion stories, the early onset of dementia, being forced to go under the knife for corrective surgery on a mangled shoulder so you can carry your infant child, needing both hands to stand up from the dinner table, are just some of the issues that pursue rugby players into their forties and beyond.

If you play sport for a large part of your adult life (not just at professional level) there's a good chance your body will pay the price in later life.

No disrespect but that just isn't true. A very small percentage of sportspeople have significant health issues as a result of their sports participation. On the contrary  Those who don't take part in sport or exercise leave themselves vulnerable to significant health problems: obesity, arthritis , diabetes , blood pressure , heart disease , for starters.

Rugby is almost uniquely a recurrent high impact sport with no protective gear, and minimal rules protection .

English cricketer Graeme Swann knew it was time to retire when he lost the use of his arm and dropped his baby while holding it and cricket wouldn't be known as a so called high risk sport

I have a teammate who'll need at least one hip replaced before he's 50 from playing hurling and that's only at club level.

If you play sport (especially contact sport) your are pushing your body and parts can break that you'll pay for in later life. I would have thought everyone was aware of this. To say it doesn't happen to people in other sports is just head in the sand stuff

Please take time to read posts before blindly replying. I'm genuinely looking evidence and will stand corrected if you can prove it ,

Let's break this down:

Obesity is a proven risk factor for diabetes .

Can you prove that your team-mate's arthritis of hip was as a result of his playing hurling? Or Was it because he had a propensity to arthritis and would have developed it any way?

Genuinely not being contrary here. I just have an issue with people making health connections without proof. Especially when it can undermine positive health messages.

People can have sports injury and later develop joint issues , but people who don't exercise are at much more risk of health problems including joint problems.

"Bad knees" can be troublesome for many whether they played sport or not. Neck injuries and post concussion problems are a much more serious matter. Continuing to ignore rugby's recurrent high impact with increasing force and no protection is irresponsible . Head and neck injuries in rugby are a serious matter and comparing it to "bad knees" which could be as a result of any number of causes , is irresponsible.

screenexile

Well in my case I suffered 2 ACL tears on the pitch... the 3rd as a result of wear and tear from playing on... my chronic pain in my knees is a direct result of playing football for 25 odd years!

I'm sure there are numerous other lads here who have the same to say there's not an issue with ex GAA players who played regularly as adults suffering from chronic issues as a result of their playing days is complete head in the sand stuff!!

6th sam

Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2021, 10:54:59 PM
Well in my case I suffered 2 ACL tears on the pitch... the 3rd as a result of wear and tear from playing on... my chronic pain in my knees is a direct result of playing football for 25 odd years!

I'm sure there are numerous other lads here who have the same to say there's not an issue with ex GAA players who played regularly as adults suffering from chronic issues as a result of their playing days is complete head in the sand stuff!!

Tbf Maybe I'm being misunderstood regarding impact of various injuries.
That's a nightmare for you. I'm just trying to put the impact of various injuries into context and apologies if that seems like I'm underestimating the effect of injuries. ACL is a career threatening injury, though thankfully most people will not develop ongoing chronic conditions from an ACL tear. Massive respect for you with 3 ACL and playing for 25 years .
ACL injury can happen as a result of competitive and recreational sports or even outside sport . And Some people are more prone to it than others . You would  be aware that  Even with rehab it can  recur again , inside or outside GAA . Players are aware of those risks but many chose to play on, presumably because the enjoyment and health benefits of team sport are enormous and you could injure your knee or develop "bad knees" anyway.  The point I'm making, obviously very poorly, is that people know risks of any activity and make choices. The GAA Tbf has done alot of work to reduce injury  eg better pitches better injury prevention exercises, burnout changes , helmets in hurling etc.

Where head injury in rugby is completely different is that a brain injury can have monumental impact outside of the game and  importantly head injury can affect judgement . This is manifest by players determined  to play on after head injuries. Rugby as it stands involves a massive risk of recurrent frequent high force impact to the head.  The brain is arguably the most important organ in the body. Subjecting it to repetitive high force trauma is wrong and Rugby need to protect these players through legislation. Watch "Concussion " and make up your own minds on it. Sport has an enormous positive impact on health, but sadly there can be serious injury and organisations need to minimise risk. Head injury risk trumps any other risk in my opinion because of its life impact and the fact that concussed players sometimes aren't in a position to protect themselves

dublin7

Quote from: 6th sam on March 17, 2021, 10:10:12 PM

Please take time to read posts before blindly replying. I'm genuinely looking evidence and will stand corrected if you can prove it ,

Let's break this down:

Can you prove that your team-mate's arthritis of hip was as a result of his playing hurling? Or Was it because he had a propensity to arthritis and would have developed it any way?

Genuinely not being contrary here. I just have an issue with people making health connections without proof. Especially when it can undermine positive health messages.

People can have sports injury and later develop joint issues , but people who don't exercise are at much more risk of health problems including joint problems.

"Bad knees" can be troublesome for many whether they played sport or not. Neck injuries and post concussion problems are a much more serious matter. Continuing to ignore rugby's recurrent high impact with increasing force and no protection is irresponsible . Head and neck injuries in rugby are a serious matter and comparing it to "bad knees" which could be as a result of any number of causes , is irresponsible.

The dodgy hips are as a result of all his years playing in goal. That's the medical opinion of the doctor and he was in complete agreement with him. You don't seriously think playing sport for a couple of decades doesn't have a long term effect on your body (excluding preventing obesity)

Rugby officialdom are well aware of player safety and are looking at making the game safe.They are now taking a zero tolerance stance on tackles that hit the head. You only have to look at all the red cards being handed out in recent seasons for tackles to the head and with the mandatory substitutions for players who suffer head injuries they are making progress

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on March 18, 2021, 10:18:41 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 17, 2021, 10:10:12 PM

Let's break this down:

The dodgy hips are as a result of all his years playing in goal. That's the medical opinion of the doctor and he was in complete agreement with him. You don't seriously think playing sport for a couple of decades doesn't have a long term effect on your body (excluding preventing obesity)

Rugby officialdom are well aware of player safety and are looking at making the game safe.They are now taking a zero tolerance stance on tackles that hit the head. You only have to look at all the red cards being handed out in recent seasons for tackles to the head and with the mandatory substitutions for players who suffer head injuries they are making progress

I respect your opinion , and your mate's tale about his goalkeeping days and his doctor , he obviously has significant problems  but none of us know the specifics including other factors in this hurler's case.

Yes I do seriously think that playing sport for a couple of decades doesn't have a long term effect on the body of the vast majority of people that play. Sport promotes health physical and mental health for individuals and society as a whole. By way of balance , in contrast to your mate's case I know hundreds of people who played sport and have no chronic conditions .
Promoting The view that there are loads of people out there with chronic conditions which are solely attributable to GAA , is dangerous .

Rugby on the other hand involves heavier ( sometimes professional) athletes inviting contact continuously . Regardless of refereeing changes that risk remains unless contact rules are changed completely.

Estimator

Out - Healy, Ryan(inj), Connors (inj), JGP, Lowe, Ringrose (inj)
In - Kilcoyne, VdF, Conan, Murray, Stockdale, Aki
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

IRELAND: Hugo Keenan; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; David Kilcoyne, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong; Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne; CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan.

Replacements: RĂ³nan Kelleher, Cian Healy, Andrew Porter, Ryan Baird, Peter O'Mahony, Jamison Gibson-Park, Billy Burns, Jordan Larmour.

Milltown Row2

Paddy Jackson having a decent season with London Irish not missing much and a far better replacement for Sexton
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 08:01:33 PM
Paddy Jackson having a decent season with London Irish not missing much and a far better replacement for Sexton

But he is not playing in Ireland. Can you imagine the backlash if he was picked. People have long memories.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 19, 2021, 10:10:38 PM

But he is not playing in Ireland. Can you imagine the backlash if he was picked. People have long memories.

When Sexton played in France was he banned?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 10:15:13 PM

Sexton was world class and an exception was made. New Zealand made the same exception for Daniel Carter when he moved to France.

Paddy Jackson is a good player, but nowhere near the standard of the other lads.

There are players of similar ability playing in Ireland in his position

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on March 19, 2021, 10:20:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2021, 10:15:13 PM

Sexton was world class and an exception was made. New Zealand made the same exception for Daniel Carter when he moved to France.

Paddy Jackson is a good player, but nowhere near the standard of the other lads.

There are players of similar ability playing in Ireland in his position

Agreed with your first point but Jackson was the number 2 before moving! The rest of your post is rubbish