The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

I don't see how anybody can look at Ireland under Farrell and say there's a plan, a style of play or any sort of long term thinking there

I just don't see it

Like, who'll be at 9 and 10 at the next World Cup

It won't be Sexton and it's unlikely to be Murray

It definitely won't be Billy Burns and Jamison Gibson Park

And I don't see James Lowe being on the wing

Ireland should move for Pat Lam in the summer I think because England will come calling for him when Eddie Jones goes

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on February 14, 2021, 05:59:19 PM
I don't see how anybody can look at Ireland under Farrell and say there's a plan, a style of play or any sort of long term thinking there

I just don't see it

Ireland should move for Pat Lam in the summer I think because England will come calling for him when Eddie Jones goes
I agree about Pat Lam
He knows what he's doing

marty34

Ireland never really looked as if they were going to score - they couldn't break down the French defence.  Very slow and no real zip about them.

In comparsion, when France attacked, they went fast, hard and with a purpose. 

Ireland's try was lucky enough but they played for 5 mins at the end and never make any yards gains.  France always looked confident in their defence.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2021, 06:10:45 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 14, 2021, 05:59:19 PM

I just don't see it

I agree about Pat Lam
He knows what he's doing
He made a silk purse from a sow's ear with Connacht

As well as knowing his stuff and preferring a very attractive style of rugby, he's an inspiring character, which is a huge part of being a coach I think, he immersed himself into the way of life down here

Gathie and Townsend as well as being good coaches with great playing backgrounds, are both inspiring characters

Farrell comes across as a dull, hapless Minister for Health type, and his coaching background is not confidence-inspiring to say the least

He's producing a duller version of Schmidt's style, without the success and the personal charisma and persuasive abilities that Schmidt had

Connacht is a proven breeding ground for good coaches

Lam is the man

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on February 14, 2021, 05:35:47 PM
There is only one word that can be used for that performance.

Heroic (™Irish Rugby)

Brave from the goys (tm)

whitegoodman

I thought they did alright until the 3 had to go off with head injuries, the two forwards in particular.  Burns kicking out of hand was decent but is still not the answer long term.

If you add Ryan, Doris, Leavy, Murray, Sexton and Stockdale as well as starting Furlong it would make some difference to the team.  However there is still the elephant in the room that they are not creating much in the backline and have no clear succession plan for Sexton and Murray.  How Cooney wasn't starting or at least on the bench today is beyond me.

currychip

Ireland did OK.  Haven't got the players.

Estimator

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 14, 2021, 07:16:48 PM
I thought they did alright until the 3 had to go off with head injuries, the two forwards in particular.  Burns kicking out of hand was decent but is still not the answer long term.

If you add Ryan, Doris, Leavy, Murray, Sexton and Stockdale as well as starting Furlong it would make some difference to the team.  However there is still the elephant in the room that they are not creating much in the backline and have no clear succession plan for Sexton and Murray.  How Cooney wasn't starting or at least on the bench today is beyond me.

As much as I'd like too see Cooney (30) in the squad, at 1year younger than Murray (31), he is not his successor. JGP (almost 29) is not a long term viable option either.

From the starting line up today. Healy, Herring, Ruddock, Stander, Earls, are all 30+. If Sexton, Murray, O'Mahony, Aki (all 30+) were all available they'd be in the starting lineup. Surely at this stage of the World Cup cycle Ireland should be blooding as many younger players as possible.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

Ní uasal agus íseal ach thuas seal agus thíos seal

15-13

https://youtu.be/QOjF6rRRHWQ

seafoid

Quote from: Estimator on February 14, 2021, 08:32:23 PM

As much as I'd like too see Cooney (30) in the squad, at 1year younger than Murray (31), he is not his successor. JGP (almost 29) is not a long term viable option either.

From the starting line up today. Healy, Herring, Ruddock, Stander, Earls, are all 30+. If Sexton, Murray, O'Mahony, Aki (all 30+) were all available they'd be in the starting lineup. Surely at this stage of the World Cup cycle Ireland should be blooding as many younger players as possible.

Nucifora was supposed to be on top of succession planning.

sid waddell

Porter
Furlong
Kelleher
Beirne
Ryan
Henderson
Leavy
Connors
Van der Flier
Doris
Casey
Frawley
Harry Byrne
Larmour
Henshaw
Ringrose
Keenan
Stockdale
Carberry if he can ever get fit again

These are the players in their prime or coming into their prime we need to build around or phase in

There's room for a couple of older heads if they can keep fit and are in form, Murray and O'Mahony would be the most likely, Zebo might be worth another look as regards having in the squad if he comes back to Munster

You need to be bedding in most of the World Cup team by summer 2022 anyway to give yourself a decent 15 month run at it

6th sam

Quote from: sid waddell on February 14, 2021, 08:52:17 PM

Porter
Furlong
Kelleher
Beirne
Ryan
Henderson
Leavy
Connors
Van der Flier
Doris
Casey
Frawley
Harry Byrne
Larmour
Henshaw
Ringrose
Keenan
Stockdale

These are the players in their prime or coming into their prime we need to build around or phase in

There's room for a couple of older heads if they can keep fit and are in form, Murray and O'Mahony would be the most likely, Zebo might be worth another look as regards having in the squad if he comes back to Munster

You need to be bedding in most of the World Cup team by summer 2022 anyway to give yourself a decent 15 month run at it

Where is Rugby going ?
Genuine Head injury concerns, risk is serious, and the necessary disruption to play and selection is unsustainable .
Post Covid financial concerns.
Ireland very old age profile .
Boring play lacking ingenuity or flair
Stlll haven't broken away from classist origins.
And the bizarre irony that Simon Zebo can't play for his country but we have New Zealand South African English and welsh players can. I'm all for the diaspora playing for ireland but this residency rule is ridiculous. This player tourism is ridiculous, player X doesn't think he's going to cut it for NZ and he moves halfway around the world for a job, next thing he's kissing the shamrock badge in the Aviva.
Having been a big rugby fan( and still admiring much about Rugby )
I'm rapidly losing interest and have only watched cameos of recent internationals

restorepride

Quote from: 6th sam on February 14, 2021, 09:50:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 14, 2021, 08:52:17 PM

Porter
Furlong
Kelleher
Beirne
Ryan
Henderson
Leavy
Connors
Van der Flier
Doris
Casey
Frawley
Harry Byrne
Larmour
Henshaw
Ringrose
Keenan
Stockdale

Where is Rugby going ?
Genuine Head injury concerns, risk is serious, and the necessary disruption to play and selection is unsustainable .
Post Covid financial concerns.
Ireland very old age profile .
Boring play lacking ingenuity or flair
Stlll haven't broken away from classist origins.
And the bizarre irony that Simon Zebo can't play for his country but we have New Zealand South African English and welsh players can. I'm all for the diaspora playing for ireland but this residency rule is ridiculous. This player tourism is ridiculous, player X doesn't think he's going to cut it for NZ and he moves halfway around the world for a job, next thing he's kissing the shamrock badge in the Aviva.
Having been a big rugby fan( and still admiring much about Rugby )
I'm rapidly losing interest and have only watched cameos of recent internationals
Great spake - I couldn't agree more.  Including a captain today who isn't Irish, didn't even have the courtesy or balls to sing the national anthem of the country he claims to represent.  In his post-match analysis  said "for me personally.." - a complete disconnect as a captain and as an Irish leader.  Soon, parents won't allow children to play - far too dangerous.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 14, 2021, 10:22:51 PM
The forum bigot
Afraid not. I had a relative murdered by the Shankill butchers and you thought it was ok to compare teachers to Lenny Murphy.  Why don't you make your post again to see what happens?