The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Boxing and MMA is still going.....why not? Actually there is a bit of a rise in bare knuckle boxing right now in the states. It will be interesting to see just how far that goes.

I can see them restricting certain aspects of youth Rugby in the future though.

Louther

Was a good game to watch. Both teams having spells of dominance and lead swapping with them. That spell in second half when Ireland's penalty count just went up, cost them dearly and with 14 men was crucial.

They should have been yellow cards on Wales and would have made a difference you feel.

The intensity of the game was huge, largely imposed by Ireland. If first half lasted another 5 minutes you felt they'd have got another score.

Be men missing this week with HIAs and you do fear for rugby with the speed and strength on show nowadays that it can't maintain these levels without serious consequences now or down the line.

dublin7

Quote from: trailer on February 08, 2021, 11:32:25 AM
Question. Could you see Rugby be allowed in 50 years time? As it is now. Honestly I think there comes a point that a massive number of compensation claims start to come down the line and they try to change the game fundamentally or even a government steps in and possibly outlaws it. What are you left with? There is no doubt those hits take their toll and surely if we start to see above average cases of dementia and other neurological problems in ex players then I think it's game over. It's brutal sport and the hits have got a lot worse. Throw in actions such as Peter O'Mahoney's yesterday. He hasn't much regard for player safety, extrapolate that across the amateur game. How many hits like that go unpunished? Rugby like a lot of these contact sports are going to have a rough few years regarding player safety.

At least rugby are dealing with concussion. A player takes a hit to the head and he's straight off.

GAA and soccer don't have anything in place at the moment to deal with. How often do you see players take a big hit to the head and they are allowed play.

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on February 08, 2021, 11:38:53 AM
Question. Could you see Rugby be allowed in 50 years time? As it is now. Honestly I think there comes a point that a massive number of compensation claims start to come down the line and they try to change the game fundamentally or even a government steps in and possibly outlaws it. What are you left with? There is no doubt those hits take their toll and surely if we start to see above average cases of dementia and other neurological problems in ex players then I think it's game over. It's brutal sport and the hits have got a lot worse. Throw in actions such as Peter O'Mahoney's yesterday. He hasn't much regard for player safety, extrapolate that across the amateur game. How many hits like that go unpunished? Rugby like a lot of these contact sports are going to have a rough few years regarding player safety.

At least rugby are dealing with concussion. A player takes a hit to the head and he's straight off.

GAA and soccer don't have anything in place at the moment to deal with. How often do you see players take a big hit to the head and they are allowed play.

Very true. There's more work to be done, especially in GAA. But there is a definitely a day of reckoning coming for all these sports in regard to player safety and especially head injuries.

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 08, 2021, 11:35:07 AM
Boxing and MMA is still going.....why not? Actually there is a bit of a rise in bare knuckle boxing right now in the states. It will be interesting to see just how far that goes.

That's true but is MMA only allowed in certain countries and am I right in saying that it is banned in a number of US states?

6th sam

Not very often, thankfully .
Far less head trauma in Gaelic games,(lighter/less attrition) ,  good medical/physiotherapy back up at top
Levels, and very comprehensive user friendly advice for coaches/players at all other levels, referees focussed on penalising head contact.
The GAA hasn't yet introduced a concussion sub, as there are pros and cons to this, would need to be evidence that it decreases risk.
Much as we all admire o'mahoney for his passion , that strike yesterday was appalling. Chicken wing arm position, ran at speed to hit a man caught in a ruck , extremely dangerous . There were  other episodes of serious head trauma, which makes no sense to continue. Look at the way Sexton is targeted because of his concussion vulnerability: ethically unacceptable.

trailer

Quote from: 6th sam on February 08, 2021, 11:52:18 AM

Not very often, thankfully .
Far less head trauma in Gaelic games,(lighter/less attrition) ,  good medical/physiotherapy back up at top
Levels, and very comprehensive user friendly advice for coaches/players at all other levels, referees focussed on penalising head contact.
The GAA hasn't yet introduced a concussion sub, as there are pros and cons to this, would need to be evidence that it decreases risk.
Much as we all admire o'mahoney for his passion , that strike yesterday was appalling. Chicken wing arm position, ran at speed to hit a man caught in a ruck , extremely dangerous . There were  other episodes of serious head trauma, which makes no sense to continue. Look at the way Sexton is targeted because of his concussion vulnerability: ethically unacceptable.

I have huge issues with what O'Mahoney did. It was a terrible act and he ought to reflect on that. It's simply not a case of letting his team down and getting sent off, it's a case of that he went out to do serious harm to an opponent who was completely unprotected.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on February 08, 2021, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 08, 2021, 11:35:07 AM

That's true but is MMA only allowed in certain countries and am I right in saying that it is banned in a number of US states?

I don't think it's banned in any US states now. But there was at a time a problem with New York. But they did that there awhile ago. I can't say I know too much about it - in the crazy old days, there was definitely some bans but it's fairly mainstream now.

seafoid

Rugby will be changed to make it safer after the lawsuits start
The game was ruined by money following professionalism. Players started bulking up and taking stuff.

thewobbler

Rugby is doomed in its current guise. It will be uninsurable.

The quickest fix rugby can make is to widen the pitch by 10-15m, thereby realigning the need for agility, and territorial kicking, as much as power.

The second and more important fix is to go over the top in identifying then outlawing any form of performance enhancing drug, then hand out lifetime bans for anyone guilty. A bit of soul searching is required as to how clubs and unions are producing an endless supply of 18 stone tanks.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2021, 01:25:00 PM
Rugby is doomed in its current guise. It will be uninsurable.

The quickest fix rugby can make is to widen the pitch by 10-15m, thereby realigning the need for agility, and territorial kicking, as much as power.

The second and more important fix is to go over the top in identifying then outlawing any form of performance enhancing drug, then hand out lifetime bans for anyone guilty. A bit of soul searching is required as to how clubs and unions are producing an endless supply of 18 stone tanks.

It's easy to get to 18stone. It's not easy to get to 18stone and move.

seafoid

We don't know how good the HIA process is. Rugby is attritional and generates HIAs more frequently than GAA .Rugby set pieces are more dangerous than sideline cuts.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2021, 04:48:09 PM

We don't know how good the HIA ptocess is. Rugby is attritional and generates HIAs more frequently than GAA.Rugby set pieces are more dangerous than sideline cuts.

Unless you've taken a sliotar right in the coupon. Happened one of our lads this summer and he'd a proper faceguard fitted yet still ended up with a fractured eye socket.

All sports have their dangers and rugby by its nature with the big hits going in is very high risk as part of its game and within the rules.

Showing O'Mahony was the right thing to do yesterday as much as it pains me ultimately was the reason Ireland lost the game. Maybe that'll send out a clear message that head hits and in particular cheap shots won't be tolerated.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 08, 2021, 05:01:37 PM

We don't know how good the HIA ptocess is. Rugby is attritional and generates HIAs more frequently than GAA.Rugby set pieces are more dangerous than sideline cuts.

Unless you've taken a sliotar right in the coupon. Happened one of our lads this summer and he'd a proper faceguard fitted yet still ended up with a fractured eye socket.

All sports have their dangers and rugby by its nature with the big hits going in is very high risk as part of its game and within the rules.

Showing O'Mahony was the right thing to do yesterday as much as it pains me ultimately was the reason Ireland lost the game. Maybe that'll send out a clear message that head hits and in particular cheap shots won't be tolerated.

What counts is the frequency of dangerous hits. Rugby is off the charts

lenny

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2021, 06:56:24 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 08, 2021, 05:01:37 PM

What counts is the frequency of dangerous hits. Rugby is off the charts

Rugby has become really hard to watch. There was an example yesterday which illustrates perfectly what modern rugby has become. Cj stander got the ball and had 10 yards of space ahead of him. He didn't try to run into a gap, he ran hard and straight at the Scotland player nearest to him. Nobody tries to sidestep and evade people any more, they just try to run through them.  The only team worth watching any more are NZ, at least they try to play rugby and open teams up with flair.