Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on October 30, 2019, 07:50:52 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 30, 2019, 04:20:03 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 29, 2019, 09:13:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 29, 2019, 08:38:23 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on October 29, 2019, 06:35:56 PM
I heard someone on the radio say there are about 150 Irish professionals to pick from.  When you think about it that way, it's hoping for a miracle to think we could reach a WC Final.  It's a tiny pick.
New Zealand Rugby's income is only 20% higher than that of the IRFU, I think , and they pay the pro salaries too so Ireland wouldn't be that far off in terms of numbers of pro players.
We have a silly rule thst you must plsy in Ireland to play for Ireland, so it definitely reduces the amount playing abroad

No we don't

Yeah we do... so do New Zealand!!!

Em....Sexton.....Racing Metro anyone?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Taylor on October 30, 2019, 08:40:44 AM
I heard someone on the radio say there are about 150 Irish professionals to pick from.  When you think about it that way, it's hoping for a miracle to think we could reach a WC Final.  It's a tiny pick.
New Zealand Rugby's income is only 20% higher than that of the IRFU, I think , and they pay the pro salaries too so Ireland wouldn't be that far off in terms of numbers of pro players.
We have a silly rule thst you must plsy in Ireland to play for Ireland, so it definitely reduces the amount playing abroad

No we don't

Sefton got a free pass.

seafoid

The Martin O'Neill problem

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/justin-marshall-ireland-s-great-gameplan-became-predictable-1.4066202
"I didn't think they'd evolved," he said. "I think very much like Wales were tactically, they had a great gameplan that they believed in but it is predictable and it gets analysed.
"They have great players that could implement that gameplan, but when you look at Ireland and where they got to, successfully beating the All Blacks, I felt they needed to create something that the rest of the world hadn't seen and they didn't.
"They came out and played the same gameplan they had been playing, the All Blacks came out and analysed it. They've been beaten by it before, and they were aware of what Ireland would bring. and they didn't bring anything different.
"I hadn't seen any evidence during the build-up to the Rugby World Cup or during the pool stages when Japan knocked them over to show that they had evolved.
"Can I put my finger on it that it was Joe Schmidt. I don't think he's a coach that doesn't want to be creative and doesn't want to evolve. It has to fall back to him thinking that this is what he had to work with, yet this is what he selected, so this is all he can do."

The IRFU were sure we would get to a semi final. It is in their latest strategy. David Nucifora needs to be very honest about this failure.
The policy of only picking those who play in Ireland might be justifiable if the team is doing well but when it's carrying 6 or 7 passengers it isn't.

Taylor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 30, 2019, 08:51:45 AM

No we don't

Sefton got a free pass.

So it isnt a rule then?

screenexile

Have you ever heard of an exception to the rule???

rodney trotter

Eoin Reddan was picked when he was playing with Wasps. Zebo likely would have been picked but himself and Schmidt didn't get along.

Darrell will probaly have him back in the Squad. Going back a while Keith Wood was picked when playing with Harlequins

screenexile

As far as I can see the "rule" was brought in by Schmidt and Sexton is the only one an allowance was made for.

The cases mentioned were with other coaches. Geordan Murphy only ever played for Leicester and was a mainstay for Ireland for a long time but Schmidt changed it.

Baile Brigín 2

No we don't

Exactly. They made an exception for him, which caused ructions.

Do you think Zebo didn't make Japan on ability?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 30, 2019, 10:19:09 AM
Eoin Reddan was picked when he was playing with Wasps. Zebo likely would have been picked but himself and Schmidt didn't get along.

Darrell will probaly have him back in the Squad. Going back a while Keith Wood was picked when playing with Harlequins

Its much more recent than Reddan and Woods

highorlow

We need to get Pat Lam on board.

Best thing now is that we have a total disaster in the 6 nations and give Farrell the sack and bring in Lam.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Milltown Row2

Was there not issues with Zebo similar to PJ? I thought he didn't get on with Schmidt because of his party ways
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: highorlow on October 30, 2019, 12:21:23 PM
We need to get Pat Lam on board.

Best thing now is that we have a total disaster in the 6 nations and give Farrell the sack and bring in Lam.
I was thinking the same thing

LooseCannon

Tommy Bowe was with the Ospreys as well, wasn't he?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LooseCannon on October 30, 2019, 03:02:40 PM

Tommy Bowe was with the Ospreys as well, wasn't he?
Until 2012. Schmidt took over in 2013