The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

The selection of Kleyn is not making any sense as he hasn't even made the bench in Ireland's 2 toughest pool games , would have been nice to have toner near end of Japan game when the line out was going downhill, also if u look at most teams they do not throw the ball straight into the line out especially to the front but if u watch Ireland straight down the middle every time little bit naive there .

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on September 30, 2019, 04:18:45 PM
The selection of Kleyn is not making any sense as he hasn't even made the bench in Ireland's 2 toughest pool games , would have been nice to have toner near end of Japan game when the line out was going downhill, also if u look at most teams they do not throw the ball straight into the line out especially to the front but if u watch Ireland straight down the middle every time little bit naive there .
I think Kleyn was picked with the QF in mind

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on September 30, 2019, 03:07:04 PM
Still reckon we'll top the group.
So long at it's not too hot/humid, Japan style of play will actually suit the Scots.

Managing Sexton is key. Him being fit for the QF is more important than who we face. I'd play him against Russia, to get gametime under the belt, but leave him out for Samoa - not worth risking injury against those hoors! Let Carberry have that start, with an otherwise full team. Murray really needs to step up his leadership when Sexton's not there. Of all the disappointing performances on Saturday, he was the biggest disappointment.

My outlandish prediction for the QF is that Ringrose starts on the wing. (Assuming we've two other fit centres!). Two of Farrell, Aki, Henshaw to start. Between Larmour and Earls for the bench place, most likely Earls.
Jordi Murphy might not be far away from the team either, if he has the impact I expect him to have.

Found it really strange after his kicking masterclass against the Scots that I can only remember one proper up and under against the Japanese and the high ball supposedly a very weak part of their game.

Makes you wonder if it was a ploy not to do that now after the Scotland match to keep the powder dry for a QF.

omaghjoe

Problem as I see it is not so much rugby or even the media bias for it, but professionalism.
Ive completely lost interest in soccer mainly for the mercenary nature of it but I'd still watch a bit of the WC mainly I think because it actually means something.

Rugby now has even destroyed the international competition by allowing all these non-nationals to play as long as they adhere to some lax criteria. The IRFU would have to take some flack for that also as they are completely geared up to the success of the International Team so they will do whatever it takes to have the best players play for them.

Bottom line is professionalism destroys sport any Corinthian ideal that a sport has will be instantly quashed when money is involved.

magpie seanie

So long at it's not too hot/humid, Japan style of play will actually suit the Scots.

Managing Sexton is key. Him being fit for the QF is more important than who we face. I'd play him against Russia, to get gametime under the belt, but leave him out for Samoa - not worth risking injury against those hoors! Let Carberry have that start, with an otherwise full team. Murray really needs to step up his leadership when Sexton's not there. Of all the disappointing performances on Saturday, he was the biggest disappointment.

My outlandish prediction for the QF is that Ringrose starts on the wing. (Assuming we've two other fit centres!). Two of Farrell, Aki, Henshaw to start. Between Larmour and Earls for the bench place, most likely Earls.
Jordi Murphy might not be far away from the team either, if he has the impact I expect him to have.

Why Carbery? I didn't see the Japan game but didn't Carty play pretty well and Carbery, em, didn't?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/world-rugby-confirms-mistakes-made-by-officials-in-japan-defeat-1.4036178

Ireland coach Joe Schmidt has received confirmation from World Rugby that three penalties awarded to Japan during last Sunday's historic 19-12 defeat to the host nation in Shizuoka were incorrect calls by Australian referee Angus Gardner and his match officials.
"We were penalised for offside four times and we've now got the feedback that three of those were incorrect calls," said Schmidt from Ireland team base on Rokko Island. "People were asking us about our discipline.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2019, 04:08:36 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/world-rugby-confirms-mistakes-made-by-officials-in-japan-defeat-1.4036178

Ireland coach Joe Schmidt has received confirmation from World Rugby that three penalties awarded to Japan during last Sunday's historic 19-12 defeat to the host nation in Shizuoka were incorrect calls by Australian referee Angus Gardner and his match officials.
"We were penalised for offside four times and we've now got the feedback that three of those were incorrect calls," said Schmidt from Ireland team base on Rokko Island. "People were asking us about our discipline.

Cringe.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 01, 2019, 02:28:24 PM

Why Carbery? I didn't see the Japan game but didn't Carty play pretty well and Carbery, em, didn't?
Not unlike a lot of players, Carty played very well in the first half, but was awful in the second. Carberry was also poor, but it was his first game in ages.
Bringing 3 10s means it makes sense to play your first choice twice and the other pair, once each. Then, based on form, Schmidt can decide who should be bench for the QF.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Hound on October 01, 2019, 08:25:40 PM

Not unlike a lot of players, Carty played very well in the first half, but was awful in the second. Carberry was also poor, but it was his first game in ages.
Bringing 3 10s means it makes sense to play your first choice twice and the other pair, once each. Then, based on form, Schmidt can decide who should be bench for the QF.

Carty had a penalty early on and instead of taking the points or the easy kick into the corner he tried the cross kick to Earls. You only try that hail mary shit when you have a penalty to fall back on not INSTEAD of the penalty. Needed a kick up the hole for that alone

Hound

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 01, 2019, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 01, 2019, 08:25:40 PM

Carty had a penalty early on and instead of taking the points or the easy kick into the corner he tried the cross kick to Earls. You only try that hail mary shit when you have a penalty to fall back on not INSTEAD of the penalty. Needed a kick up the hole for that alone
Yeah, you could certainly argue that, and i'd say the majority would agree.
Personally I prefer "go for the throat" type rugby and don't let the opposition away with just the 3. (Obviously circumstances dependant).
In that case, I'd argue Earls made a mistake in grabbing the ball when he'd no chance of keeping it in (would have been an Ireland 5m lineout had he just let it go. ). And it did turn out to be a rangefinder for Carty, as he nailed his next attempt to set up Ringrose for his try.

Hound

Thought the yanks might put it up to the French for a while, but seems to have been a canter.

NZ sowing it into Canada as expected. All three Barrett brothers going in for trys.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on October 02, 2019, 12:58:23 PM
Thought the yanks might put it up to the French for a while, but seems to have been a canter.

NZ sowing it into Canada as expected. All three Barrett brothers going in for trys.

It was 12-9 with about 15-20 minutes left. France got late tries that completely flattered them.

screenexile

Jesus it's hard watching lads!!!!

I imagine it's tough out there and getting tougher but still we need this fecking try!