The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 01, 2019, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2019, 01:36:28 PM
Interesting stuff from Gatland here -

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/warren-gatland-reveals-what-he-feels-are-the-differences-between-irish-welsh-and-english-players-37868377.html
What percentage of Irish players these days have come through private education? I wouldn't have thought it would be a massive number.

Jeez Tony I'd say its well over half. Furlong and O'Brien are the only Leinster players (AFAIK) that didn't come from the private school route.

Keyser soze

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2019, 12:48:10 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2019, 11:48:46 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2019, 11:18:43 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2019, 10:38:50 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 01, 2019, 10:35:36 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2019, 09:46:45 AM
Talk about your massive over reactions over a couple of indifferent performances!!!
That's always the way with Irish rugby.
Before the New Zealand game last November there was gloom after an insipid display against Argentina.

I think it's modern life. Everything is either wonderful or crap. The middle ground where the majority of things tend to be has been abandoned.

This has to be one of the worst posts I've seen on this board. Absolute nonsense.

I have been on this board nearly 15 years, that is some statement.
;)

Well played TB, you caught a big one there.

In fact it's one of the most superlative windups ever imho.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 01, 2019, 03:15:24 PM

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/warren-gatland-reveals-what-he-feels-are-the-differences-between-irish-welsh-and-english-players-37868377.html
What percentage of Irish players these days have come through private education? I wouldn't have thought it would be a massive number.

Jeez Tony I'd say its well over half. Furlong and O'Brien are the only Leinster players (AFAIK) that didn't come from the private school route.
I didnt mention Leinster. What do you call a private school?

Best went to Portadown College, Stockdale to Wallace, I now fellas in Athlone who were at school with Henshaw and they certainly aren't private school types. Is St Munchin's a fee paying school? If I was guessing I'd say it's just over half from what I would class a private school.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 01, 2019, 07:43:05 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 01, 2019, 03:15:24 PM

I didnt mention Leinster. What do you call a private school?

Best went to Portadown College, Stockdale to Wallace, I now fellas in Athlone who were at school with Henshaw and they certainly aren't private school types. Is St Munchin's a fee paying school? If I was guessing I'd say it's just over half from what I would class a private school.

Just quickly went through the Irish match day squad v England and excluded the overseas players

Robbie Henshaw non-fee
Keith Earls non-fee
Jordan Larmour
Garry Ringrose 
Joey Carbery non-fee
Jacob Stockdale non-fee
Johnny Sexton
Conor Murray non-fee
John Cooney
Cian Healy
Dave Kilcoyne non-fee
Rory Best  non-fee
Sean Cronin non-fee
Tadhg Furlong non-fee
Andrew Porter
Devin Toner
James Ryan
Peter O'Mahony
Josh van der Flier
Sean O'Brien non-fee
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Good stuff DB.

Did Carbery not end up at Blackrock for his leaving?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 04, 2019, 10:29:48 AM
Good stuff DB.

Did Carbery not end up at Blackrock for his leaving?

Joey spend five years in secondary school in Athy, his final year on a scholarship to Blackrock. That practice is no longer allowed as essentially your Leinster Youths team, which provides the most players to Leinster Rugby after Blackrock and St Michaels, is an u18 team and the fee-payng schools who were signing those young lads on scholarship for 1 year to bolster their ranks are u19.

The practice was frowned upon by the old boys. Roscrea brought a court case, still not fully settled.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Interesting.

Never realised youths provided such numbers outside the big schools.

Tony Baloney

So, are we agreeing that I was correct?  ;)

Rudi

U20s look good. Hognett looks excellent.

Harold Disgracey

Super game. Six nation champions with a game in hand. Josh Wycherley & Casey were superb.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 08, 2019, 09:21:35 PM
Super game. Six nation champions with a game in hand. Josh Wycherley & Casey were superb.
Anything to Fineen Wycherley? Hardly a common name in those parts. Fineen a big cub.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2019, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 08, 2019, 09:21:35 PM
Anything to Fineen Wycherley? Hardly a common name in those parts. Fineen a big cub.
Younger brother I believe.

Insane Bolt

France +13......that's a big spread

Insane Bolt

Good man Rory😎....maybe have to repeat this later on golf thread😜

Rudi

Ireland receiving ball from a standing start can't break tackle