Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

* 'Ireland' victory null and void
* meaningless friendly
* juiced up
* November isn't even Autumn

That's pretty much the life sucked out of the party now, time to move on  ;D

How are we shaping up to take on the USA?

imtommygunn

Don't forget it was "invalidated"   :o

Sure if we set a world record against them it won't be valid anyway so what is even the point ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JoG2 on November 20, 2018, 08:15:35 PM
* 'Ireland' victory null and void
* meaningless friendly
* juiced up
* November isn't even Autumn

That's pretty much the life sucked out of the party now, time to move on  ;D

How are we shaping up to take on the USA?
;D

You couldn't make up some of the shite you read on here.

Solo_run

There's something about Brian O'Driscoll that is irritating

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Baile BrigĂ­n 2 on November 20, 2018, 01:55:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 20, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
Irish Rugby players are all being educated on GDPR, their medical data is their's to control and they are refusing the IRFU to give more detailed responses on injuries.

Heh???

Have you not heard about GDPR?
So are soccer players.

There is a question, which im sure will be tested in court, about scouting reports and medical reports. Its not about hiding from the IRFU, its about hiding from prospective French clubs.

Or put another way, club doctor treats player a. Who owns the report.

I'm struggling to believe this is a genuine question
Hasta la victoria siempre

nrico2006

Brilliant achievement beating the All Blacks but I sometimes wonder of the context of these Autumn games against the SH teams.  They are essentially friendlies against teams who are in their off season are they not?  Seems to be a lot of over-reaction given this perspective.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Lads can we please stop with the 'friendlies' rubbish. No such thing exists in professional test match rugby.

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 21, 2018, 08:08:25 AM
Brilliant achievement beating the All Blacks but I sometimes wonder of the context of these Autumn games against the SH teams.  They are essentially friendlies against teams who are in their off season are they not?  Seems to be a lot of over-reaction given this perspective.
The World Cup is the only thing  that counts at this stage

Itchy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 21, 2018, 08:41:26 AM
Lads can we please stop with the 'friendlies' rubbish. No such thing exists in professional test match rugby.

Why would we, that's what they are.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2018, 09:10:35 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 21, 2018, 08:41:26 AM

Why would we, that's what they are.

Fair enough itchy. I don't see people putting their body on the line in that manner as a friendly.

seafoid

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/brent-pope-special-moment-with-legend-ollie-campbell-summed-up-what-all-blacks-scalp-meant-to-irish-rugby-37548339.html

On Saturday after the game, I failed to a recognise a man under a peaked cap with what I thought was a bundle of programmes to sell. It was no less than one of the greats of the Irish game, Ollie Campbell. So excited was one of rugby's true gentleman that he was collecting them for posterity, so proud of his country's achievements in finally doing what he and so many great Irish players never could, to beat the All Blacks on home soil.

Applesisapples

We Irish sure like to wallow, we aren't happy unless we get a pasting at sport but win the accolade as plucky losers and moral victors. Why can't we just celebrate a great victory by a team united in representing the 4 provinces of Ireland. As a northerner who has been jokingly called British from time to time by Southern "colleagues" perhaps I am a bit sensitive to the shit being thrown at some of these players. If they have made their home here or have blood ties thats good enough for me. Irish Rugby will be the stronger in future for their contribution if for no other reason than they have raised the bar. As a life long Gael and Armagh man I only wish we could claim a few Dubs to help us along the way, at least Rugby has been able to balance the Provincial clubs out to offset the dominance of Leinster.

Solo_run

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 21, 2018, 10:26:50 AM
We Irish sure like to wallow, we aren't happy unless we get a pasting at sport but win the accolade as plucky losers and moral victors. Why can't we just celebrate a great victory by a team united in representing the 4 provinces of Ireland. As a northerner who has been jokingly called British from time to time by Southern "colleagues" perhaps I am a bit sensitive to the shit being thrown at some of these players. If they have made their home here or have blood ties thats good enough for me. Irish Rugby will be the stronger in future for their contribution if for no other reason than they have raised the bar. As a life long Gael and Armagh man I only wish we could claim a few Dubs to help us along the way, at least Rugby has been able to balance the Provincial clubs out to offset the dominance of Leinster.

Having the likes of Payne, Bundee Aki and CJ represent Ireland is an honor really. They have come from a international system that has expected them to win world cups and I think it has rubbed off on the Irish team.

From a young age I've followed rugby and before Declan Kidney I remember the team being talked about as a team capable of winning the six nation's but we always fell short. There were even times when Ireland put in piss poor wc performances.

The Joe Schmidt era is an era of expectation. We are expected to win the six nation's, we are expected to perform in the world cup. We don't have any excuses anymore. We have beaten the best in the world, we have won two grand slams, we have had our first series win in Australia. When it comes to performing in team sorts the Irish mentality is not great but these wins have given the team confidence by doing what has never been done before.