The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

That sort of cryptic Innuendo (but not enough to get you into trouble) is fired out left, right and centre these days, it must only get noticed when it's close to home.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
Irish Rugby players are all being educated on GDPR, their medical data is their's to control and they are refusing the IRFU to give more detailed responses on injuries.
Of course they don't have to give it out, but it seems very OTT. If Toulon (or whoever) offer a 750k contract to a lad, presumably they'd be demanding full disclosure on injury history with stiff penalties built in for anything not identified. Their insurance alone would probably demand it.

And it will definitely lead to numpties making up stories about drug bans and mental illness to justify absences where only silence has been forthcoming. I don't see it as a trend that will be continued. I see initially they refused to say what Leavy's injury was at the weekend, but on Monday they decided to let the press know it was a neck strain.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2018, 01:18:32 PM
That sort of cryptic Innuendo (but not enough to get you into trouble) is fired out left, right and centre these days, it must only get noticed when it's close to home.

He's the type of fella to be scouring twitter and the likes for anything untoward that might 'sell'.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 20, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
Irish Rugby players are all being educated on GDPR, their medical data is their's to control and they are refusing the IRFU to give more detailed responses on injuries.

Heh???

Have you not heard about GDPR?
So are soccer players.

There is a question, which im sure will be tested in court, about scouting reports and medical reports. Its not about hiding from the IRFU, its about hiding from prospective French clubs.

Or put another way, club doctor treats player a. Who owns the report.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on November 20, 2018, 01:34:44 PM
Of course they don't have to give it out, but it seems very OTT. If Toulon (or whoever) offer a 750k contract to a lad, presumably they'd be demanding full disclosure on injury history with stiff penalties built in for anything not identified. Their insurance alone would probably demand it.

And it will definitely lead to numpties making up stories about drug bans and mental illness to justify absences where only silence has been forthcoming. I don't see it as a trend that will be continued. I see initially they refused to say what Leavy's injury was at the weekend, but on Monday they decided to let the press know it was a neck strain.

You are missing the point, Leamy refused to release the data. Irish rugby players are taking ownership of their own data.

I don't have an issue with it but as you said you will get clowns on social media and mainstream media making up stories but is that any different as to what happens now anyway?
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 20, 2018, 01:55:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 20, 2018, 12:28:36 PM

Heh???

Have you not heard about GDPR?
So are soccer players.

There is a question, which im sure will be tested in court, about scouting reports and medical reports. Its not about hiding from the IRFU, its about hiding from prospective French clubs.

Or put another way, club doctor treats player a. Who owns the report.

The patient of course, it's his/her medical record. Hello Hippocratic Oath!
#newbridgeornowhere

Keyser soze

But they couldn't hold it from their employer without being in breach of contract I imagine. They may be able to dictate what they, or the employer, puts into the public domain.

gallsman

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 20, 2018, 02:09:42 PM
But they couldn't hold it from their employer without being in breach of contract I imagine. They may be able to dictate what they, or the employer, puts into the public domain.

That's what the conversation is about ffs - the fact that the data isn't in the public domain.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 20, 2018, 01:57:38 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 20, 2018, 01:34:44 PM

You are missing the point, Leamy refused to release the data. Irish rugby players are taking ownership of their own data.

I don't have an issue with it but as you said you will get clowns on social media and mainstream media making up stories but is that any different as to what happens now anyway?
Not missing the point. Clearly it was Leavy's decision, or maybe they were waiting on Leavy's permission. But  something changed and the info was released, with Leavy's permission. As I said I don't think we'll see Murray's position repeated too often as there is little to gain and BS rumours to deal with.

Walter Cronc

Heaslip started this carry on. No surprise there with his ego.

bennydorano

Kimmage always seemed to smell a rat with Heaslip, his subsequent retirement stopped him in his tracks, although it probably wouldn't stop the same boy from digging further.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2018, 03:17:03 PM
Kimmage always seemed to smell a rat with Heaslip, his subsequent retirement stopped him in his tracks, although it probably wouldn't stop the same boy from digging further.

Didn't Heaslip explain himself by saying that he simply had an abnormally high natural level of testosterone. I'm not totally sure that Kimmage bought it.

GetOverTheBar

Heaslip 'failed' a test (later cleared of any wrongdoing). I think it was around the time (open to correction) that the normal ratio for testosterone was re-evaluated from 6/1 to 4/1. He apparently naturally passed out a 5/1 natural ratio. Something like that. But then there was talk of oxygen tents and the likes - I think Kimmage took issue with that.

Itchy

Do any of us really think rugby is not awash with drug cheats. Look at the muscle some of them are putting on, not possible with out "help"

gallsman

Quote from: Itchy on November 20, 2018, 06:46:57 PM
Do any of us really think rugby is not awash with drug cheats. Look at the muscle some of them are putting on, not possible with out "help"

Tell that to Luke Fitzgerald.