The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

The Irish lads had a brilliant weekend at the London 7s in Twickenham.

Got to the semi-finals, which was a huge upset. Finished ahead of the likes of NZ and Aus. Well beaten by eventual winners Fiji in the semis, but the third place playoff v England was great. Went 14-0 up with 2 trys from Jordan Conroy (a total speedster - "Air Jordan" the commentators were calling him), but England then took over and were 19-14 ahead with time just up.

Then Conroy scored a fabulous try in the corner to level matters, and the drop goal conversion from the touchline was nailed to secure the bronze medal! Great fun!

Anyone know anything about Conroy? I've heard him as being from Offaly, Westmeath and Roscommon. Buccaneers are his club I know. Of course 7s is a lot different to 15s, but he looks an exceptional talent.

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 01, 2018, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 01, 2018, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 01, 2018, 02:13:29 PM
Leinster not happy. Calling it forced migration.

Boo hoo.

Henshaw.

Henshaw was out of contract. Carberry had two years to run so hardly comparable. Plus Henshaw is from Leinster.

Sure so is AZOffaly!!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 03, 2018, 10:06:45 PM
The Irish lads had a brilliant weekend at the London 7s in Twickenham.

Got to the semi-finals, which was a huge upset. Finished ahead of the likes of NZ and Aus. Well beaten by eventual winners Fiji in the semis, but the third place playoff v England was great. Went 14-0 up with 2 trys from Jordan Conroy (a total speedster - "Air Jordan" the commentators were calling him), but England then took over and were 19-14 ahead with time just up.

Then Conroy scored a fabulous try in the corner to level matters, and the drop goal conversion from the touchline was nailed to secure the bronze medal! Great fun!

Anyone know anything about Conroy? I've heard him as being from Offaly, Westmeath and Roscommon. Buccaneers are his club I know. Of course 7s is a lot different to 15s, but he looks an exceptional talent.

Conroy is from Tullamore, an out and out speed merchant. Scored some sensational tries in the AIL for Tullamore and now Buccs who he joined as part of a dev contract with Connacht.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

There's a long history of Offaly lads not having a feckin clue what province they're from!

Insane Bolt

I see Daniel Brennan playing for France in U20 World Cup, son of Trevor........big lad

Walter Cronc

Predicted team for Saturday.

Good to see a few changes.

Ireland (possible team to face Australia): Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, John Ryan; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Jordi Murphy, CJ Stander.

magpie seanie

Major egg on the face of the incompetent IRFU with the story of their refusal of a women's tour to Australia getting out. The Aussies were covering the accommodation costs too for our women's team when they were over there. Serious kick in the teeth for the women's game but typical of the IRFU to be honest.

magpie seanie

Boo hoo.

Henshaw.

Henshaw was out of contract. Carberry had two years to run so hardly comparable. Plus Henshaw is from Leinster.

Ya - when he turned out to be good.

Crete Boom

Boo hoo.

Henshaw.

Maybe Carbery's girlfirend is from Cork?
Maybe the media market is bigger in Limerick than in Athy?
Maybe he can garner more corporate sponsorship form JP Mcmanus than from Denis O'Brien?
He will be playing with Conor Murray, Chris Farrell and Keith Earls which will be mean better combinations for Ireland cause there is no way a modern rugby player can develop such important partnerships in irish training??
Maybe the only way he can reach the level needed to star for Ireland is playing in the champions cup for Munster?

Henshaw played his local club rugby from U6's in Connacht. His dad played for the same club, his Unlce the same and he was a prop for Connacht. Henshaw played for his local school which is a Connacht rugby school and played all his provincial schools and youths rugby for Connacht and came through the Connacht academy so in fairness I don't think Leinster are able to claim him as one of their own from till he had the great choice of signing a contract for Ireland playing for Leinster or move abroad to France or England. In fairnes to Neil Francis he still calls Henshaw a Connacht player in most of his colums and always will see him as a bogger from out in bandit country!!!

Ah schadenfreude while extremely petty is so fulfilling at times, just ask the Rossies!! ;D

To be honest it's not as if Leinster are losing their star player,in reality they are losing an exciting and hugely talented but as yet unproven utility back/third choice outhalf. Ross Byrne could beat out Carbery in time at Ireland level as he has at provincial level and the yonger Byrne will be there to back up him and Sexton next year. Sylvester form the U20's and Lamour will give them plenty of young talent in the back three.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 08, 2018, 09:03:52 AM
Major egg on the face of the incompetent IRFU with the story of their refusal of a women's tour to Australia getting out. The Aussies were covering the accommodation costs too for our women's team when they were over there. Serious kick in the teeth for the women's game but typical of the IRFU to be honest.

Why is it typical of the IRFU? How did the Irish women's International Rules team get on in Australia?

Do you know all the facts because I don't and I would know a lot more about the inner workings of the IRFU than you?

All I have seen is a lot of whinging and moaning from the usual self-entitled current & ex-internationals who do absolutely nothing at a grass roots level. Women's rugby is a shambles, these women want a top down model when like the GAA it needs to be driven bottom up. Leinster rugby for all their success made a profit of less than €200k this season. Gender equality is great in theory but it doesn't pay the bills and is a subsided cost, the International Men's game pays nearly all the bills. A million euro or there abouts was reduced from grass roots funding to pay for the women's 7s game, Leinster's 5 u16 developement squads have had their S&C coaches removed to save costs.

There is a far bigger picture than sending 30 amateurs who are by no means elite athletes to Australia. These women never offer solutions, let them propose a funding model that is self-sufficient and see how far they get. The women's World Cup squad was a toxic environment by all accounts, there is a reason why a lot of those players aren't involved.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 08, 2018, 10:48:47 AM

Boo hoo.

Henshaw.

Maybe Carbery's girlfirend is from Cork?
Maybe the media market is bigger in Limerick than in Athy?
Maybe he can garner more corporate sponsorship form JP Mcmanus than from Denis O'Brien?
He will be playing with Conor Murray, Chris Farrell and Keith Earls which will be mean better combinations for Ireland cause there is no way a modern rugby player can develop such important partnerships in irish training??
Maybe the only way he can reach the level needed to star for Ireland is playing in the champions cup for Munster?

Henshaw played his local club rugby from U6's in Connacht. His dad played for the same club, his Unlce the same and he was a prop for Connacht. Henshaw played for his local school which is a Connacht rugby school and played all his provincial schools and youths rugby for Connacht and came through the Connacht academy so in fairness I don't think Leinster are able to claim him as one of their own from till he had the great choice of signing a contract for Ireland playing for Leinster or move abroad to France or England. In fairnes to Neil Francis he still calls Henshaw a Connacht player in most of his colums and always will see him as a bogger from out in bandit country!!!

Ah schadenfreude while extremely petty is so fulfilling at times, just ask the Rossies!! ;D

To be honest it's not as if Leinster are losing their star player,in reality they are losing an exciting and hugely talented but as yet unproven utility back/third choice outhalf. Ross Byrne could beat out Carbery in time at Ireland level as he has at provincial level and the yonger Byrne will be there to back up him and Sexton next year. Sylvester form the U20's and Lamour will give them plenty of young talent in the back three.

I was tongue in cheek about Henshaw. I coached Joey for 2 years and know his Dad pretty well and his girlfriend is from Kildare Town. The benefits are obvious for Irish rugby, it's still a forced migration as he was not out of contract, he didn't want to move period. Henshaw saw the opportunity and it's worked out pretty well for him hopefully it works out for Joey with the Munster Barbarians.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

P Jackson has signed a 2 year deal with Perpignan!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2018, 10:50:47 AM

Why is it typical of the IRFU? How did the Irish women's International Rules team get on in Australia?

Do you know all the facts because I don't and I would know a lot more about the inner workings of the IRFU than you?

All I have seen is a lot of whinging and moaning from the usual self-entitled current & ex-internationals who do absolutely nothing at a grass roots level. Women's rugby is a shambles, these women want a top down model when like the GAA it needs to be driven bottom up. Leinster rugby for all their success made a profit of less than €200k this season. Gender equality is great in theory but it doesn't pay the bills and is a subsided cost, the International Men's game pays nearly all the bills. A million euro or there abouts was reduced from grass roots funding to pay for the women's 7s game, Leinster's 5 u16 developement squads have had their S&C coaches removed to save costs.

There is a far bigger picture than sending 30 amateurs who are by no means elite athletes to Australia. These women never offer solutions, let them propose a funding model that is self-sufficient and see how far they get. The women's World Cup squad was a toxic environment by all accounts, there is a reason why a lot of those players aren't involved.

International rules - there's a stretch!!!!! Ladies footballers and camogie players are governed by separate organisations but I don't think there's much to defend on the gaelic games side. A lot to do but getting there and as you say pretty strong at grassroots. The camogies and ladies football allstars travel to play exhibition games much like their male counterparts. The womens AFL is only going into it's 3rd season and I'm sure some international rules game will evolve in time and I'd be confident the LGFA wouldn't refuse such a generous gesture and try to cover it up.

It's gas that you seem to have a different attitude to money when it applies to GAA versus rugby. We've had this out before and agreed to disagree so I'll not push it.

I'm sure the Leinster U-16's are not self funding, are they? Should they get together and propose a self sufficient funding model for themselves? Ireland women won the 6 nations not long ago but appear to be rapidly falling behind as other countries turn pro (are these other teams self sufficient.....I severely doubt it) and our women are left behind. I suppose it underlines the prevailing attitude in rugby circles which led to them trying to get rid of Connacht (something they'd do in the morning if they thought they'd get away with it). They've no real interest in developing the game beyond it's traditional strongholds. They've no real interest in the women's game but they go through the motions for the sake of PR.

More girls need to play and stay playing team sports. This will benefit not just them but society as a whole. The international team, whose 6 nations games are televised, is a huge shop window for rugby in that regard. To me that's more important that bulking up 15 year boys olds in gyms.

Boycey

Good for Jackson, I hope people let him let him get on with his career and life in peace now..

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 08, 2018, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2018, 10:50:47 AM

International rules - there's a stretch!!!!! Ladies footballers and camogie players are governed by separate organisations but I don't think there's much to defend on the gaelic games side. A lot to do but getting there and as you say pretty strong at grassroots. The camogies and ladies football allstars travel to play exhibition games much like their male counterparts. The womens AFL is only going into it's 3rd season and I'm sure some international rules game will evolve in time and I'd be confident the LGFA wouldn't refuse such a generous gesture and try to cover it up.

It's gas that you seem to have a different attitude to money when it applies to GAA versus rugby. We've had this out before and agreed to disagree so I'll not push it.

I'm sure the Leinster U-16's are not self funding, are they? Should they get together and propose a self sufficient funding model for themselves? Ireland women won the 6 nations not long ago but appear to be rapidly falling behind as other countries turn pro (are these other teams self sufficient.....I severely doubt it) and our women are left behind. I suppose it underlines the prevailing attitude in rugby circles which led to them trying to get rid of Connacht (something they'd do in the morning if they thought they'd get away with it). They've no real interest in developing the game beyond it's traditional strongholds. They've no real interest in the women's game but they go through the motions for the sake of PR.

More girls need to play and stay playing team sports. This will benefit not just them but society as a whole. The international team, whose 6 nations games are televised, is a huge shop window for rugby in that regard. To me that's more important that bulking up 15 year boys olds in gyms.

So separate bodies for camoige and Ladies football, that's real progress.
So no organised international competitions for Ladies football or Camoige, that's real progress. Before you start berating a organisation that you are not a member of, look at the gender issues in the GAA, which you are a member of, who as you admit don't even govern women's football or camoige.

The Irish women's team are a joke, the structures are a joke. Ignorant opinions only feed their egos. Of course women's sport is massively important but a trip to Australia which will be far from free, is not needed. The IRFU need to fix the pathway first, they are looking at a sustainable model for the women's game which is growing exponentially in Leinster, I can't speak for the other provinces.

You do realise women's rugby is only shown live because of the IRFU who build the women's and 20s games into the TV rights?  These was a ratings success for RTE but transferring that interest into corporate sponsorship and bums on seats for the women's game is proving difficult.

The North Midlands u16 dev squad have a sponsor that paid for gear and another that paid for video analysis. Leinster provided the coaches but have let the S&C guys go and if you think S&C is about bulking up then I question why I even bother engaging with you on this topic.

The reason why inter-county camoige and football are light years ahead of the women's rugby is because the structures are right. The skill level at display is miles ahead of the equivalent skills in women's rugby, which is quite frankly awful. Women's rugby is a young sport people want it to run before it can even crawl. England, France and Australia are large countries with the money to finance, NZ have the culuture and the corporate backing, they can afford professional teams Ireland can't period. If the IRFU were to start immediately funding the women's game as professional, say goodbye to Bundee Aki, Gary Ringrose, Conor Murray etc as their salaries will be cut, suddenly game management is gone, Ireland will not be as competitive, corporate funding gets reduced, TV rights go down, prize money reduced..

Imagine the whinging then.....

#newbridgeornowhere