The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 06:19:56 AM
Quote from: Zulu on March 26, 2018, 11:07:59 PM
There is disability hurling and football with more variations being developed at the moment.

Great to hear, the rewards are fantastic.

The Disability Hurling well established now, a great development for inclusion.

johnnycool

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on March 26, 2018, 09:47:22 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 04:54:46 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 03:49:36 PM
Saying he's wrong, which he patently is, isn't snobbery.

No but saying he's wrong while have a dig at three schools is what exactly? To me your projecting your own snobbery towards fee paying schools.

Point out where I had a dig at the schools?

I made reference to the fact that, in Ireland, rugby is clearly still very much an elitist sport, regardless of how many sit down to watch the national team play one of its biggest matches of the last ten years. The developmental route to the professional game very much goes through those elite schools. When you're arguing that it's "the sport of the people" that point becomes particularly relevant.

Why mention the schools at all then, you brought them up not me?

Rugby is not an elitist sport, anyone can join their local rugby club, my own rugby club has 22 teams including women's, girls and disability, how many GAA clubs can match that? The development route doesn't very much go through the elite schools. There are many pathways. Jacob Stockdale did not got to a fee paying school and he just won player of the 6 nations. Joey Carberry, Tadgh Furlong, Bundee Aki, Iain Henderson, Keith Earls also all starters, non-fee paying schools.

Do you increase your chances of a professional career if you go to a Michael's, Belvo or a Blackrock, absolutely, the culture of rugby in those schools the same way the culture of football in St Jarleths's improves your chances but it's not the only pathway.

The likes of Francis and MacKenna try to polarise people, I wouldn't give them oxygen.

Several, around the country I would imagine. How many rugby clubs can match it, as of a matter of interest?

Not many particularly the disability side. Does disability hurling or football exist? Genuinely don't know but I know the FAI have led way and now how 1000s participating in their football for all programs and the IRFU are following suit, very much in it's infancy with only I think 9 or 10 special needs team in Leinster. Girls rugby is growing at a massive rate, 7s is a big winner in the schools, very similar to ladies football in that manner. I get the image of rugby with MacKenna and Francis doing their best to ensure that stereotype exists. But once you move away from large cities and towns the cross pollination between GAA clubs, soccers clubs and rugby clubs is such that they probably struggle to exist if their members were one sport only.
Emm, I can't imagine wheelchair hurling to be honest. Can't really imagine it for football either.

Why would it have to involve wheelchairs? There's a hell of a lot of different disabilities.

There is wheelchair hurling, in it's infancy.

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2017/10/ireland-wheelchair-hurling-championships/

Not sure what that's got to do with the price of bread though!

I'd say most GAA clubs of a reasonable size have 20 plus teams.

We've a small catchment, not even a village and between hurling and camogie we'd put out almost 20 teams from U6's to adult in both codes and we don't bother the big ball.

Not sure why people bother with this shít from McKenna and Neil Francis, column inches for the eejits to get wound up about.

magpie seanie

Ya - I'd heard of the wheelchair hurling alright and seen some pictures and reports on websites.

gallsman

On the "why a wheelchair" discussion, it's pretty obvious that it came about because the discussion was around rugby and "wheelchair rugby" is an established concept. No need to go looking to take any more offense then you already do Syferus.

magpie seanie

For the record my GAA club has 19 teams covering male and female from 5 years to adult. Sligo RFC is in our area and we've a brilliant relationship with them. A lot of crossover in terms of players even if they're more of a county setup if you like than a club. Their current coach is a coach in our club also and has coached our seniors as well as at intercounty level. Rugby has its elite element without doubt but mostly people just like sport. And that's kind of as it should be. GAA is my preference but watch and enjoy lots of other sports.

Journalism is gone.....all about clicks.

GetOverTheBar

Not exactly on topic, but what are the thoughts on Irish chances this weekend in the European Cup(s)?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 27, 2018, 01:23:13 PM
Not exactly on topic, but what are the thoughts on Irish chances this weekend in the European Cup(s)?

If both sides had a full quota I'd say Munster and Leinster victories. Now I reckon both games are very much 50/50. If I was a betting man I'd back Leinster and Toulon.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 27, 2018, 01:26:38 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 27, 2018, 01:23:13 PM

If both sides had a full quota I'd say Munster and Leinster victories. Now I reckon both games are very much 50/50. If I was a betting man I'd back Leinster and Toulon.

Me too. The Munster list of injuries is incredible.

Simon Zebo
Andrew Conway
Keith Earls
Tyler Blendaal
Chris Farrell
Chris Cloete
Jaco Taute
Tommy O'Donnell

All probably first teamers and all out. Zebo and Conway may play some part.

Dinny Breen

Munster have lost their 11, 13, 15 and 15. Very hard to replace those players. The have a punchers chance but hard not to see a Toulon win. I think Leinster will win but not without a scare.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 01:50:41 PM
Munster have lost their 11, 13, 15 and 15. Very hard to replace those players. The have a punchers chance but hard not to see a Toulon win. I think Leinster will win but not without a scare.

You could say they've lost 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. Would it shock you if the Munster starting lineup had Blyendaal, Conway,  Taute, Farrell, Earls and Zebo?

Dinny Breen

I think Keatley would start ahead of Blyendaal but yea wouldn't surprised if he did start. Munster will play a tight controlling game, if the Munster back-row can perform to the standard CJ and POM set in the 6 nations they will give themselves that chance. Bastareaud in midfield needs to be contained.
#newbridgeornowhere

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2018, 02:04:01 PM
I think Keatley would start ahead of Blyendaal but yea wouldn't surprised if he did start. Munster will play a tight controlling game, if the Munster back-row can perform to the standard CJ and POM set in the 6 nations they will give themselves that chance. Bastareaud in midfield needs to be contained.

He's certainly coming back to the fore recently, he's an absolute monster - a throwback in many ways.

AZOffaly

I'm trying to think who the back 7 will be. You're probably looking at something like lined up v the Scarlets, which is a bit of a scary thought. I might need a few pints on the Terrace this SAturday! May be something like

Murray, Keatley, Wooten, Arnold, Scannell, Sweetnam (if he's ok) and JJ Hanrahan at fullback.

God, I need a drink now.

This could be our Laz Malloy moment. "Is there anyone in the stand who can play on the wing? Please report to the Munster dressing room".

LooseCannon

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 27, 2018, 02:28:53 PM
I'm trying to think who the back 7 will be. You're probably looking at something like lined up v the Scarlets, which is a bit of a scary thought. I might need a few pints on the Terrace this SAturday! May be something like

Murray, Keatley, Wooten, Arnold, Scannell, Sweetnam (if he's ok) and JJ Hanrahan at fullback.

God, I need a drink now.

This could be our Laz Malloy moment. "Is there anyone in the stand who can play on the wing? Please report to the Munster dressing room".
;D ;D

seafoid

Last year

"Bundee wants to be on a winning team that plays good rugby and has a very good coach"

This year

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/grand-slam-hero-aki-insists-pretournament-criticism-didnt-faze-him-36751182.html

The IRFU did very well to keep him in Ireland.