The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: trileacman on February 03, 2018, 07:52:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 03, 2018, 06:53:05 PM
Amazes me that if we lost that game people who have revelled in it.

Shit conditions. Shit game. Some finish. Clutch player.

The drop goal glosses over the fact that Ireland were muck against a French side there to be taken.

What amazes me is that people's doe-eye view of Irish rugby is such that rugby by numbers is so gleefully exalted whilst the soccer teams tactics take such a hammering. People can stick the boot in gaa teams playing unentertaining fare but the rugger lads can get away with murder so long as they win.

WTF. Where were all the tries? We should be beating France out the gate at this stage. We are so superior to the French. I would have bagged a hat trick of tries if I was playing.

Or maybe Ireland are a good team playing to near the best of their ability who beat an average French team playing to the best of their ability in Paris. I don't think either team had a bag full of tries in them on a day like today.

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 03, 2018, 11:56:50 PM

The drop goal glosses over the fact that Ireland were muck against a French side there to be taken.

What amazes me is that people's doe-eye view of Irish rugby is such that rugby by numbers is so gleefully exalted whilst the soccer teams tactics take such a hammering. People can stick the boot in gaa teams playing unentertaining fare but the rugger lads can get away with murder so long as they win.

WTF. Where were all the tries? We should be beating France out the gate at this stage. We are so superior to the French. I would have bagged a hat trick of tries if I was playing.

Or maybe Ireland are a good team playing to near the best of their ability who beat an average French team playing to the best of their ability in Paris. I don't think either team had a bag full of tries in them on a day like today.

Our record against the French in Paris is abysmal... we're just supposed to rock up there on a horrible night and beat them by 30 points?

We were well in control of the match save for a sucker punch try if you'd offered it to anyone in the camp before the game thur'd Have bitten your hand off!! 3 matches at home now is an unreal position to be in after the first away win... game on!!

Main Street

I can't say I am taken by  these modern anabolic like enhanced rugby times but I loved the pedantic low risk manner in which that game, totally lost  for all to see, was retrieved at the death by two wonderfully effected decisions. Hats off to Sexton for his O'Garaesque
effect, a presence of genius among dead and tired bodies.

Syferus

Teet-sucking nonsense. Win or go home. They won, and may well win a Grand Slam because of it. Tha'd probably sicken you.

Asal Mor

It was 80 minutes of pure scutter but what Sexton  did at the end, with the restart, the kick to Earls and the drop goal, especially in the context of his earlier miss which would have made him the fall guy, with the season on the line, was as good a piece of perfection under pressure as you'd ever see in sport. Bradyesque. I've no love for the sport or the team but you have to admire greatness.

thewobbler

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2018, 12:39:53 AM
I can't say I am taken by  these modern anabolic like enhanced rugby times but I loved the pedantic low risk manner in which that game, totally lost  for all to see, was retrieved at the death by two wonderfully effected decisions. Hats off to Sexton for his O'Garaesque

O'Garaesque?

ROG even at the peak of his powers was on a pedestal or two below Sexton.

LooseCannon

Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2018, 08:30:06 AM

O'Garaesque?

BULLSHIT!!!

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2018, 08:30:06 AM

O'Garaesque?

Overall as an outhalf yeah but O'Gara was the man you wanted in a clutch situation. Numerous matches won with a crucial last minute drop goal/penalty and in that sense I think it was comparable to ROG.

Orior

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2018, 03:32:40 AM

Teet-sucking nonsense. Win or go home. They won, and may well win a Grand Slam because of it. Tha'd probably sicken you.

Chief, why all the anger?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

The kick broke French hearts. In France. And made up for the miss against NZ a few years ago. But they shouldn't have been in that position.

brokencrossbar1

First game against a tough opponent, away from home in a stadium that is traditionally difficult to win in, more or less controlled it till Sextons missed penalty which gave the French a lift, but still had the composure and balls to set up the win.....you know what I think it was a very good performance. The try was scored because of the distraction of the HIA sham. You often hear about playing the game in the moment. I know myself from playing that the few minutes after I made a mistake, got a card, decision went against me...these were key moments for my marker and they could really dent confidence. That's why transition and turnover ball is so key. This is when a team is vulnerable mentally and the French punished Ireland's mental vulnerability as they were still in the 'complaining' mode. The likes of the All Blacks reset the scrum and reset their heads and close that out. The winning score however, showed the 'reset' is there. Disciplined play, excellent work between Murray and the forwards and a cool and courageous clutch kick by Sexton.

The 6 Nations is marathon and it's all about the peaks at the right time. 3 home games in a row to build up the momentum and there's a grand slam for the winning. 

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 04, 2018, 11:10:41 AM
First game against a tough opponent, away from home in a stadium that is traditionally difficult to win in, more or less controlled it till Sextons missed penalty which gave the French a lift, but still had the composure and balls to set up the win.....you know what I think it was a very good performance. The try was scored because of the distraction of the HIA sham. You often hear about playing the game in the moment. I know myself from playing that the few minutes after I made a mistake, got a card, decision went against me...these were key moments for my marker and they could really dent confidence. That's why transition and turnover ball is so key. This is when a team is vulnerable mentally and the French punished Ireland's mental vulnerability as they were still in the 'complaining' mode. The likes of the All Blacks reset the scrum and reset their heads and close that out. The winning score however, showed the 'reset' is there. Disciplined play, excellent work between Murray and the forwards and a cool and courageous clutch kick by Sexton.

The 6 Nations is marathon and it's all about the peaks at the right time. 3 home games in a row to build up the momentum and there's a grand slam for the winning.

You are right about the disputed HIA affecting the mental attitude but the effect was amplified by Best having left the field and handed the captaincy to Sexton.  His persistent whining to the referee was never going to affect Nigel Owens' decision.  His general disposition meant he didn't settle his team before the game continued and hence the tackling was abysmal down the wing and the try was scored.  Don't think Sexton is the man to be the captain, he couldn't play the referee and is two self absorbed with his own game to take in the needs of the team in the way that Best is able to do.

trileacman

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2018, 03:32:40 AM

Playing the man and not the ball. Did you ever explain why you called hound a racist over on the Liverpool thread? G'wan an give us an explanation for that one.

I find the Irish approach very stifled, as demonstrated by our centres who are one-dimensional in attack. Kearney who was an exciting player when he came on the scene has largely developed in Girvan Dempsey mark II. Earls is a safe option as a winger not the type of "make something from nothing" guy. Can't speak too much for Stockdale as haven't seen him play but he was flatfooted yesterday for the Thomas try. He really should have got him inside the 22. Really we can't do much with the backs due to Ringrose's injury but we should be playing Lamour and by the time the WC rolls round we could have a serious FB, not an aging RK. They're too constrained though and it'll be the difference I fear between us and the English and NZ. Stander also is too lightweight as an international 8, he just doesn't have the bulk that you need in that position. A fine club 8 and a passable international 6 but he's doesn't cut it at the very highest level. Vunipola and Read are a step further ahead.

A trip to Paris is now no more daunting than a trip to Rome. France really have regressed that much. Whilst we were lashing the SA off the pitch the French couldn't even beat the Japanese at home. We're not measuring ourselves against 2nd rate nations anymore we're fighting to be top dog and pointing out deficiencies in the team shouldn't be such a problem for the gushing fan boys.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

England doing a lot of lazy running in defence and getting away with it. Lots of 5m cynicism by then going unpunished. Some great work by both centres in this game. Where's campagnaro??
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/04/italy-england-six-nations-match-report

It may be the remarkable Parisse's greatness only becomes fully apparent once the shaven-headed warrior finally retires, even if he ends up as the first player in history to feature in a century of Test defeats. In some sports that would make him a serial loser; in rugby terms, given the ceaseless adversity he has to contend with, it makes him an all-time colossus.