Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on February 02, 2018, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2018, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 02, 2018, 10:25:08 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 02, 2018, 09:34:48 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2018, 03:05:13 PM
France starting a 19 year old out half against the Irish?? Wow!!!
Wow, I'm no rugby expert but what does that mean for us? Send Henshaw and Aki at their 10 at every opportunity?

It means Ireland will play territory and force their 10 to make decisions, the looser the game the less decisions which would suit him.

Ireland won't go down the 10 channel from 1st phase, France will have a plan for that, they will want to expose his inexperience on 4 or 5 phases and have Stander running at him.

Very confident about this game, never a good sign.

And so say all of us!!!!

We need to get over this thing though. We've a top 4 side in the world. Need to lose this plucky underdog shite.

In fairness I think that's more of a supporter thing I don't think the team see themselves as underdogs in that changing room!

I'd certainly hope not. They shouldn't.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: johnneycool on February 02, 2018, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 02, 2018, 02:49:54 PM
http://www.the42.ie/irish-schools-rugby-drug-testing-anti-doping-sport-ireland-3829581-Feb2018/

Is there any drugs testing at the McRory cup level or even Sigerson/Fitzgibbon?

I don't know but Sport Ireland believe Schools rugby to be a high level area for concern in doping yet the IRFU will not allow testing.

If they deemed Sigerson or McRory Cup to be high level concerns I would certainly hope the GAA would be allowing doping authorities to commence testing.

You seem to be one of rugby's sweep sweep brigade.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 02, 2018, 03:01:02 PM
http://www.the42.ie/irish-schools-rugby-drug-testing-anti-doping-sport-ireland-3829581-Feb2018/

I don't know but Sport Ireland believe Schools rugby to be a high level area for concern in doping yet the IRFU will not allow testing.

If they deemed Sigerson or McRory Cup to be high level concerns I would certainly hope the GAA would be allowing doping authorities to commence testing.

Bomber on his wee crusade this afternoon lads. His mummy must have fed him well at lunchtime.

johnneycool

I've no reason to sweep sweep anything, but I think the issue you have linked is one of governance rather than downright IRFU refusal;

As it stands in Ireland, schools rugby does not fall within Sport Ireland's jurisdiction and while the IRFU facilitates competitions in all four provinces, the issue is that the national governing body does not govern it.

"So I think the IRFU has been making the case that schools rugby is independent of themselves, and that's a governance issue, and that's maybe something that we would hope the IRFU can look at."

As a standalone issue I find this staggering.

Sport Ireland have raised these concerns based on the findings in NZ I presume, which is fair enough, but in the interests of all concerned it would be good for the GAA to take the lead on this and get drug testing mandatory in all U17/Minor competitions up.
We should have nothing to hide.

screenexile

Quote from: johnneycool on February 02, 2018, 03:13:27 PM

I've no reason to sweep sweep anything, but I think the issue you have linked is one of governance rather than downright IRFU refusal;

As it stands in Ireland, schools rugby does not fall within Sport Ireland's jurisdiction and while the IRFU facilitates competitions in all four provinces, the issue is that the national governing body does not govern it.

"So I think the IRFU has been making the case that schools rugby is independent of themselves, and that's a governance issue, and that's maybe something that we would hope the IRFU can look at."

As a standalone issue I find this staggering.

Sport Ireland have raised these concerns based on the findings in NZ I presume, which is fair enough, but in the interests of all concerned it would be good for the GAA to take the lead on this and get drug testing mandatory in all U17/Minor competitions up.
We should have nothing to hide.

I don't know. I honestly don't think that steroids are abused to the same level in the GAA as they would be in Rugby.

The competition in school's rugby, lack of doping controls and the fact it's such a shop window for academy's and professional contracts means that there are huge rewards to dope and it could make a difference to your life so is worth the risk.

Is doping in school's for GAA really giving a child that much of an advantage and would it be worth the risk? I don't honestly think so.

Dinny Breen

Drugs are in every sport. Some folks do steroids and the only reward is to look good.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 02, 2018, 04:49:23 PM
Drugs are in every sport. Some folks do steroids and the only reward is to look good.
Rugby is more vulnerable given the importance of the breakdown in the modern game.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2018, 05:24:07 PM
Rugby is more vulnerable given the importance of the breakdown in the modern game.

Which is why Leinster Rugby are putting in processes to test their 5 u16 development squads and these 15 year olds are also getting massive education on supplements which are completely condemned by the IRFU for under age players due to the lack of industry regulation. If you take 2 ibuprofen you will fail a drug test. Might not suit your narrative but Leinster Rugby are trying to educate.
#newbridgeornowhere

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 02, 2018, 05:58:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2018, 05:24:07 PM

Which is why Leinster Rugby are putting in processes to test their 5 u16 development squads and these 15 year olds are also getting massive education on supplements which are completely condemned by the IRFU for under age players due to the lack of industry regulation. If you take 2 ibuprofen you will fail a drug test. Might not suit your narrative but Leinster Rugby are trying to educate.

Optics? PR?

Don't tell me your that naive.

GetOverTheBar

Steroids aren't really relevant to Gaelic Sports, they would be very useful for the recovery aspect but that's it. The common output on steroids, big body etc is no use to our games. You can hardly even tackle in the game anymore. The game has shifted back to a running one....as always we are 5 years behind what the aussies do.

Stimulants, now that's where it's at for the GAA. I've always said if you tested any team on any Sunday at even club level at least 2/3 would fail. Some of the pre workout supplements sold in nutrition shops these days are essentially speed (sister compounds).

Don't think there is enough cash in Gaelic Football for any (county) team to pull off a successful peptide programme, it's really something that plagues professional games, with the cash that comes with it.

Capt Pat

Ireland should be too good for the French today. The French are very inexperienced.

Championship prediction
Ireland
England
Scotland
France
Wales
Italy

Syferus

The sheer level of hype around the Irish team is season is worrying. We're going to Paris in the Springtime, even the poorest French sides are hard beaten in the Stade. This could go very wrong indeed if we slip up tonight.