The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2018, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2018, 01:28:01 PM
Quote from: Estimator on February 01, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
It was reported that Gilroy and a few of the Ulster backroom team were there the previous day. So it could be some sort of rotational attendance to make sure that there are a few lads from Ulster in the gallery everyday.

Why would that be? I can understand friends wanting to lend support, especially if they think they are innocent,but why would Ulster Rugby feel the need to do that?

Think there is a clear distinction to be made here from what 'Ulster Rugby' think and do and what individual players and members of staff are doing.

To me this looks like team-mates rallying around but if the verdict goes against them, I think it will be a choice that most if not all of them will regret.

For IRFU's part I'd say they probably didnt know anything about and would want to distance themselves from the trial completely so issuing a banning order would have created the opposite of this.

Absolutely. But some sort of 'rotational policy' including staff and players would have to at least have the tacit acceptance of the province. I doubt it myself, which is why I asked the question.

caprea

They'll need more than teammates in the pews to keep them out of prison on the evidence so far.

Is Jackson admitting to consensual sex? Is olding? Or is not known? Is their story that she was consenting for both of them? Or only Jackson? And Olding was just a spectator? Or wasn't even there? Looking forward to seeing their defence as I'm struggling to see the angle at the moment.

If it's just she was up for two of them on the night id find it hard to believe given what we have already heard around texts and witnesses (taxi driver), the physical evidence and the conspiracy charge. Plus them meeting the next day and Jackson saying he didn't have sex with her. He's not sticking to that story I take it. Why did he lie?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2018, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2018, 12:33:39 PM
Any hope of Ireland winning a grand slam?

Every hope, win Saturday and they then have 3 at home on the trot. Could be bringing serious momenteum to Twickenham.

Nobody knows what to expect from the French, bar away to England it's probably the worst fixture you could get.....but it could turn out to the best. France look like they are really struggling at the moment yet it wasn't that long ago they put it up to the All Blacks. Nobody likes to go to France and Ireland have a poor record there., promises to be a great occasion - think the loss to Scotland in R1 last year rules out any complacency this time around.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: caprea on February 01, 2018, 01:54:35 PM
They'll need more than teammates in the pews to keep them out of prison on the evidence so far.

Is Jackson admitting to consensual sex? Is olding? Or is not known? Is their story that she was consenting for both of them? Or only Jackson? And Olding was just a spectator? Or wasn't even there? Looking forward to seeing their defence as I'm struggling to see the angle at the moment.

If it's just she was up for two of them on the night id find it hard to believe given what we have already heard around texts and witnesses (taxi driver), the physical evidence and the conspiracy charge. Plus them meeting the next day and Jackson saying he didn't have sex with her. He's not sticking to that story I take it. Why did he lie?

It's a sorry state of affairs for all involved and the families.  Best not speculating until they've all had their chance to speak in court.

trileacman

Quote from: Syferus on January 31, 2018, 03:17:54 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on January 31, 2018, 03:04:44 PM
It's a good job none of you clowns are on a jury as you have already decided to convict having heard a second hand report of the first day's evidence from the prosecution, coupled with some snippets of gossip around the town and on the internet.

Why bother with a trial or having a defence. Some of the comments on here beggar belief.

"Second hand report" aka a blow-by-blow description from the court room by every major outlet.

Guess what bucko, you can't invent vaginal wall bleeding..

I know a fella who was with a girl and she ended up with a vaginal tear. Accidental and unfortunate so it's not just as simple as equating a vaginal tear with rape.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: caprea on February 01, 2018, 01:54:35 PM

what physical evidence?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Maroon Manc

Every hope, win Saturday and they then have 3 at home on the trot. Could be bringing serious momenteum to Twickenham.

Good to hear, from memory Ireland are often caught cold on the first weekend.

Will Lamour (think thats his name) make the starting 15 or the bench?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2018, 02:40:56 PM

Good to hear, from memory Ireland are often caught cold on the first weekend.

Will Lamour (think thats his name) make the starting 15 or the bench?
He (Larmour) hasn't this time around.

Ireland team

R Kearney, K Earls, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Stockdale, J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best, T Furlong, I Henderson, J Ryan, P O'Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, J Ryan, D Toner, D Leavy, L McGrath,J Carbery, F McFadden.

JoG2

probably best to have a separate thread for the courtcase?

screenexile

France starting a 19 year old out half against the Irish?? Wow!!!

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on February 01, 2018, 12:37:12 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2018, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2018, 09:20:31 AM
People going mental on Twitter about Best and Henderson attending the trial yesterday talking of Best being stripped of the captaincy etc.

Is it just me or is that mental? Are you not allowed to support your friends now? Attendance at a trial is hardly condoning rape.

You're dead right. Reaction is totally mental, yet completely predictable where the Syferuses of the world are so prominent in social media. You have to support your friends where they claim innocence and there is doubt, but very surprised JoeS/IRFU didnt take it out of their hands and forbid them from attending
Rape trials are usually polarising. Most of the Twitter activity is from women.
There are so many different opinions I think we need George Hook to give us the definitive opinion
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2018, 03:05:13 PM
France starting a 19 year old out half against the Irish?? Wow!!!

Ireland 4/9 to win in France, -6 points is 11/10. Not a happy hunting ground in the past but the bookies seem sure this one is in the bag. Scotland are very generously priced v a decimated Wales too.

Syferus

Best and Henderson are fûcking idiots even if they somehow think their mates are innocent despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary. Best in particular should know better than to be associating himself with something like that in public given his position. I doubt Ulster or the IRFU are delighted to see them parading around bringing more attention to an already horrible story.

Frat boys supporting frat boys. You see the same lack of common sense in every walk of life, batten-down-the-hatches support our own against all good judgement, just like the Tom Humphries case with David Walsh writing mealy-mouthed character references

And to all those trying to rail against the general reaction to this horrific story, you are the shady ones who are unwilling to face the truth. As I said before, your posts will age very badly indeed and I hope some of you will someday come to a stage in your lives when you realise the hypocrisy of the patriarchial knee-jerk response of trying to mitigate a heinous and disgusting act.

general_lee

Not the smartest decision but the roasting they are getting on social media from drama queens like Syferus is way over the top. Probably should have offered their support in private but nonetheless their attendance does not equate to condoning of the alleged behaviour of the accused. I just wish people would let this trial run a few more days at least and let the bigger picture develop before hanging these men off the closest tree!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2018, 04:13:33 PM
Best and Henderson are fûcking idiots even if they somehow think their mates are innocent despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary. Best in particular should know better than to be associating himself with something like that in public given his position. I doubt Ulster or the IRFU are delighted to see them parading around bringing more attention to an already horrible story.

Frat boys supporting frat boys. You see the same lack of common sense in every walk of life, batten-down-the-hatches support our own against all good judgement, just like the Tom Humphries case with David Walsh writing mealy-mouthed character references

And to all those trying to rail against the general reaction to this horrific story, you are the shady ones who are unwilling to face the truth. As I said before, your posts will age very badly indeed and I hope some of you will someday come to a stage in your lives when you realise the hypocrisy of the patriarchial knee-jerk response of trying to mitigate a heinous and disgusting act.

Genuine question. If they are found not guilty, will your stance change, or have you decided they are guilty no matter what the court decides?

For me, if they are guilty, I hope they do serious time.