The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

11 players it is.
Henshaw, Murray, Payne, Sexton
Best, Furlong, Henderson, McGrath, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Stander.

The announcement will definitely give joe.ie and balls.ie plenty of stories to repeat over the next few days.

Ulster League Champions 2009

mouview

Zebo will be disappointed. Scotland's Greg Laidlaw still injured? Would surely have made it otherwise..

seafoid

There will be 6 or 7 subs flown out

gallsman

Zebo should have been picked ahead of all the outside backs except maybe Daly. Overall, decent return for Ireland.

square_ball

Quote from: mouview on April 19, 2017, 12:19:57 PM
Zebo will be disappointed. Scotland's Greg Laidlaw still injured? Would surely have made it otherwise..

Don't think he's still injured but he's not as good as the 3 picked so can't have any complaints.

Maroon Manc

Have Scotland been shafted with only 2 inclusions?

Was there any other serious contenders for the captaincy as been captain for 2 tours in a row is a huge honour?

gallsman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 19, 2017, 02:04:35 PM

Was there any other serious contenders for the captaincy as been captain for 2 tours in a row is a huge honour?

He was a cert to get it which i think as a bit of a joke as he's not been in the best of form and without Garland around, wouldn't be a cert to start the tests.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: square_ball on April 19, 2017, 01:28:26 PM
Quote from: mouview on April 19, 2017, 12:19:57 PM

Don't think he's still injured but he's not as good as the 3 picked so can't have any complaints.
I read an article 2 or 3 weeks ago and he was still rehabing from the ankle injury but due to play soon I think. I think Launchbury might feel aggrieved. 

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on April 19, 2017, 12:59:20 PM
Zebo should have been picked ahead of all the outside backs except maybe Daly. Overall, decent return for Ireland.

Zebo is nowhere near the standard, plays well for Munster at full back but lacks the speed and power required for a winger at international level.

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on April 19, 2017, 02:42:30 PM

He was a cert to get it which i think as a bit of a joke as he's not been in the best of form and without Garland around, wouldn't be a cert to start the tests.

In fairness Gatland is at pains to say he's not necessarily starting and if he has a bad first test the knives will be out for him. There is serious competition in that back row and with at least 4/5 better back row ball carriers than him in the squad!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2017, 07:49:40 PM

In fairness Gatland is at pains to say he's not necessarily starting and if he has a bad first test the knives will be out for him. There is serious competition in that back row and with at least 4/5 better back row ball carriers than him in the squad!

Warburton gave up Welsh captaincy to improve his form.  He had a good 6 nations.  Got injured in Blues v Ulster game affecting knee ligaments.  If all well his injury will be cleared up before departure but have no game time.  Gatland has the luxury of Best as game captain as capable as Warburton as a leader and decision maker.

Syferus

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 19, 2017, 07:57:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2017, 07:49:40 PM

Warburton gave up Welsh captaincy to improve his form.  He had a good 6 nations.  Got injured in Blues v Ulster game affecting knee ligaments.  If all well his injury will be cleared up before departure but have no game time.  Gatland has the luxury of Best as game captain as capable as Warburton as a leader and decision maker.

Hopefully his decision making is better than his throwing in the Wales game..

Orior

Should there not be a British and Irish Lions thread? Why contaminate this thread with Lions shite?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on April 19, 2017, 08:19:40 PM
Should there not be a British and Irish Lions thread? Why contaminate this thread with Lions shite?
The Lions should be merged with the UK GE thread.

manfromdelmonte

Munster have been turgid today