The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: straightred on March 20, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2017, 04:43:21 PM
Jeez people are awful hard on the Rugby guys. I enjoy Rugby because it gives a sense of unity to all parts of this country, except in the darkest TUV voting pockets. For a game that is at best third in a country with a population around the 7m mark we punch above our weights. When we give one in the eye to the AB's or England it matters not that the game is not going to change anything, I just rejoice in the moment. Neither do I lose too much sleep when we are defeated. So well done Ireland for now and lets see the 4 Proud Provinces well 3 1/2  give the Pro 12/Champions Cup a go, delete as appropriate.

I'd largely agree with you except for the bold bit. There are at best 9 good teams in the world and we are one of them. Not once in the world cup have we managed to get to the last 4. If that were to happen then you might be able to claim that we are punching above our weight but at the moment we are threading water at best. On the other hand our soccer team consistently punches above its weight with average players but then strangely gets criticised when they don't make a major tournament or get knocked out early. From some reason that I don't understand rugby escapes similar scrutiny.

Having said that any day we beat england at anything is a good day so well done.

It doesn't... just look back through the last few pages.

Journo's jumping all over it as well yes there has been an OTT reaction by some in the press but by and large anyone I spoke to and the team themselves seemed happy to beat England but realised it was an opportunity missed.

We still have a lot of positives to come over the next few years so there's some optimism but Ireland have a good chance to do well over the next while and certainly at the World Cup so why are so many sticking the boot in?!

The Stallion

I wasn't sticking the boot in, just struggling to reconcile the oft-stated opinion that Ireland are one of the best teams in Rugby with the fact they have NEVER won a knockout World Cup game, as well as the wild Irish celebrating after England won the Six Nations Title.

Still can't understand it and haven't received a satisfactory explanation tbh.

AhNowRef

Quote from: The Stallion on March 20, 2017, 05:54:43 PM
I wasn't sticking the boot in, just struggling to reconcile the oft-stated opinion that Ireland are one of the best teams in Rugby with the fact they have NEVER won a knockout World Cup game, as well as the wild Irish celebrating after England won the Six Nations Title.

Still can't understand it and haven't received a satisfactory explanation tbh.

As someone who has went to & watched these games since I was a Kid I can unreservedly say that Saturday was absolutely brilliant ... but here, if ye dont get it ye dont get it .. I'm glad to be one of those who do ...

foxcommander

Must be very confusing for 'irish' rugby fans when they hear GSTQ played in Dublin. Would be hard for them to resist the urge to sing along.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

The Stallion

Why have you called them 'irish'?

seafoid

Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2017, 10:37:55 PM
Must be very confusing for 'irish' rugby fans when they hear GSTQ played in Dublin. Would be hard for them to resist the urge to sing along.
I dare you to say that in Limerick

seafoid

There should be a good few on the Lions tour. According to the Torygraph the Lions have only beaten NZ once on tour.

Walter Cronc

Maroon Manc

I realise Ireland's world cup history is poor but I still think Ireland are punching above their weight. Resources wise Ireland a long way behind NZ, Aus, SA, England & France so to beating many of these teams as often as they do surely indicates that their punching above their weight. I'm far from an expert on Rugby Union but Ireland appear to have a brilliant structure with the players only spread across 4 teams which appears to have certainly benefitted them rather than hindered.

I do think there is some sort of middle ground between those who get far too carried away with a win and those who are always talking down any sort of good result.

straightred

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 21, 2017, 01:14:58 PM
I realise Ireland's world cup history is poor but I still think Ireland are punching above their weight. Resources wise Ireland a long way behind NZ, Aus, SA, England & France so to beating many of these teams as often as they do surely indicates that their punching above their weight. I'm far from an expert on Rugby Union but Ireland appear to have a brilliant structure with the players only spread across 4 teams which appears to have certainly benefitted them rather than hindered.

I do think there is some sort of middle ground between those who get far too carried away with a win and those who are always talking down any sort of good result.

We'll agree to differ.

I will agree that we shouldn't draw comparisons with NZ, Aus, SA, England and France as that's not fair. I do think however that it is fair to compare the records of the next level of teams in the WC. We have never got beyond the quarters. We've never won a game of knock out rugby. Wales and Argentina have done so twice each and Scotland have done it once. Only when we achieve this relatively modest task can we talk about boxing above our weight.

dec

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 21, 2017, 12:59:35 PM
Gerry not far away here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gerry-thornley-predicts-his-british-and-irish-lions-starting-xv-1.3018100

Though I'm more excited about Irelands tour than the Lions!

Looking at his squad for the Lions highlights where Ireland are weak, back three and locks.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: straightred on March 21, 2017, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 21, 2017, 01:14:58 PM

We'll agree to differ.

I will agree that we shouldn't draw comparisons with NZ, Aus, SA, England and France as that's not fair. I do think however that it is fair to compare the records of the next level of teams in the WC. We have never got beyond the quarters. We've never won a game of knock out rugby. Wales and Argentina have done so twice each and Scotland have done it once. Only when we achieve this relatively modest task can we talk about boxing above our weight.

The world cup isn't everything and in fairness Ireland have won all their games in their pool at both of the last 2 world cups so they've not completely failed at those world cups.  I agree that Ireland were hugely disappointing in the last 2 quarter finals and in turn missed out on 2 great opportunities to miss the world cup finals.

You're not taking into account that Ireland have become consistent in the 6 nations over the last 10 years and have finished top of the table 3 times in the last 9 championships.

Applesisapples

Taliking to an Ulster fan, he thought that Ulster don't get a fair shake when it comes to team selection. I don't know enough to comment. What do others think?

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2017, 04:39:42 PM
Taliking to an Ulster fan, he thought that Ulster don't get a fair shake when it comes to team selection. I don't know enough to comment. What do others think?

Maybe, McCloskey/Olding/Gilroy are very good players and Payne should have been in FB instead of Kearney a long time ago.

Possibly McCloskey and Henshaw are very similar, Olding has had a lot of injury problems and Gilroy just a shade below a proper Test wing but other than that I don't think you could say too much. Ulster have been very f**king average this year and most years they are and never really hit the heights of Munster & Leinster recently so they don't deserve any extra players in.

Walter Cronc

Your friend obviously suffers with the same as most Ulster fans - everyone hates us!!

McCloskey isn't anywhere near the same level as Henshaw when it comes to work rate. Rumours were that he turned down the S.A tour last summer to go watch the Green n White army. He can kiss goodbye to an international career if that's true!!

The one player with massive potential is Stockdale. Could be the Irish full back come 2019!!