The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2017, 01:44:34 PM
Didn't get to hear the English manager after the game, how did he come across??

He was pretty magnanimous to be fair to him!

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on March 19, 2017, 05:14:24 PM

Me hole he was! the condescending creep can't hide it completely.
'you have games like this when you get a team that plays above themselves and team you meet plays out of their skin and we play well below par'
It's so hard to keep going. A team perform above themselves, we performed below ourselves.

In other parts he appeared magnanimous.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/watch-eddie-jones-it-was-like-a-world-cup-final-maybe-a-leprechaun-tackled-heaslip-in-the-warmup-35544057.html

Syferus

Jones has a weird condescending way about him that seems to be a perfect match for how the English tend to view themselves. They'll collapse under the weight of their own hype just as they always do in soccer and rugby.

thebigfella

Quote from: Syferus on March 19, 2017, 09:29:03 PM
Jones has a weird condescending way about him that seems to be a perfect match for how the English tend to view themselves. They'll collapse under the weight of their own hype just as they always do in soccer and rugby.

Ah the irony.

Syferus

Quote from: thebigfella on March 19, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 19, 2017, 09:29:03 PM

Ah the irony.

If you think Roscommon have been hyped by anyone you need to get your hearing aids checked.

johnneycool

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2017, 05:56:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 19, 2017, 05:14:24 PM

Me hole he was! the condescending creep can't hide it completely.
'you have games like this when you get a team that plays above themselves and team you meet plays out of their skin and we play well below par'
It's so hard to keep going. A team perform above themselves, we performed below ourselves.

In other parts he appeared magnanimous.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/watch-eddie-jones-it-was-like-a-world-cup-final-maybe-a-leprechaun-tackled-heaslip-in-the-warmup-35544057.html

He is an arrogant wee shíte with the kind of face you'd be hard pushed to stop punching. Well suited to English rugby.

Maroon Manc

When was the last time Ireland were beaten in Dublin in the 6 nations?

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 20, 2017, 12:27:35 PM
2013 AFAIK . By England

Walter Cronc

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2017, 12:37:09 PM
2013 AFAIK . By England

Yeah I believe so.

Really looking forward to this summer tour of Japan and US. Hopefully we'll see Sweetnam, Byrne and O'Halloran get game time.

Kudos to Kieran Marmion on Saturday. He was excellent!!

AhNowRef

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 20, 2017, 12:48:14 PM
2013 AFAIK . By England

Yeah I believe so.

Really looking forward to this summer tour of Japan and US. Hopefully we'll see Sweetnam, Byrne and O'Halloran get game time.

As was McGrath when he came on .. very promising for the future...

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 20, 2017, 12:48:14 PM
2013 AFAIK . By England

Yeah I believe so.

I think Schmidt has been unbeaten at home in the 6N

Applesisapples

Jeez people are awful hard on the Rugby guys. I enjoy Rugby because it gives a sense of unity to all parts of this country, except in the darkest TUV voting pockets. For a game that is at best third in a country with a population around the 7m mark we punch above our weights. When we give one in the eye to the AB's or England it matters not that the game is not going to change anything, I just rejoice in the moment. Neither do I lose too much sleep when we are defeated. So well done Ireland for now and lets see the 4 Proud Provinces well 3 1/2  give the Pro 12/Champions Cup a go, delete as appropriate.

straightred

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2017, 04:43:21 PM
Jeez people are awful hard on the Rugby guys. I enjoy Rugby because it gives a sense of unity to all parts of this country, except in the darkest TUV voting pockets. For a game that is at best third in a country with a population around the 7m mark we punch above our weights. When we give one in the eye to the AB's or England it matters not that the game is not going to change anything, I just rejoice in the moment. Neither do I lose too much sleep when we are defeated. So well done Ireland for now and lets see the 4 Proud Provinces well 3 1/2  give the Pro 12/Champions Cup a go, delete as appropriate.

I'd largely agree with you except for the bold bit. There are at best 9 good teams in the world and we are one of them. Not once in the world cup have we managed to get to the last 4. If that were to happen then you might be able to claim that we are punching above our weight but at the moment we are threading water at best. On the other hand our soccer team consistently punches above its weight with average players but then strangely gets criticised when they don't make a major tournament or get knocked out early. From some reason that I don't understand rugby escapes similar scrutiny.

Having said that any day we beat england at anything is a good day so well done.