The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
Tysam5 that was not a nothing game though. It was the grand slam for england and ireland were 2nd bottom unless they did something. England had to win it and we needed to too.

Yes we seem to do rubbish at world cups but far from a nothing game.

2nd bottom or 2nd - what's the difference to an actual world class team with a winning mentality? I just don't have faith in the this Ireland team if winning something is on the line.

imtommygunn

So damned if they do and damned if they don't?

That was a big game today no matter what anyone says.

Come world cup we have disappointed but in six nations we do tend to stand up.

screenexile

Compared to France's reaction I thought the team were quite restrained...

Unfortunately we can't do anything about the reaction of Joe.ie or twitter!

stew

The Irish kept England to 9 points, 9, that takes some doing, I would say the fact they beat them in Dublin in front of their own countrymen when they were going for the grand slam AND a world record had something to do with their celebrating, also knowing they just bate the english and had them going up for the trophy after losing the game would have them pretty facking happy as well.

Ireland need consistency if they are to do anything in the next WC, this farting around being world beaters one day and shite the next has gotta go.

Sexton needs to be protected by officials and team mates alike, he is taking an awful hammering.

Finally, well done Ireland. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

moysider

Quote from: tyssam5 on March 18, 2017, 10:48:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 18, 2017, 10:38:24 PM
Tysam5 that was not a nothing game though. It was the grand slam for england and ireland were 2nd bottom unless they did something. England had to win it and we needed to too.

Yes we seem to do rubbish at world cups but far from a nothing game.

2nd bottom or 2nd - what's the difference to an actual world class team with a winning mentality? I just don't have faith in the this Ireland team if winning something is on the line.

Put yourself in an English fan's shoes. They will also be questioning their faith in their team when something is on the line. That's sport. England were not great v Wales or France but got away with it. Today maybe suggests that we did ourselves no favours with some selections in earlier games. I would always have a fit Henderson and O Mahoney starting. This was a championship maybe Ireland could have won. I don't believe England are better than Ireland right now. England had a great run but did not beat NZ along the way though. I think Ireland just messed up this 6 nations in some ways. Once if ye beat France and England you were made. This year, losing to Scotland was careless. The way we lost to Wales was unforgivable really.

Syferus

I thought Payne was very good at FB too. Starting 15 today with Murray in for Marmion is our strongest XV.

Itchy

Is there anything to be said for a new RTÉ documentary on the match?? I can't wait for it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Itchy on March 19, 2017, 12:09:01 AM
Is there anything to be said for a new RTÉ documentary on the match?? I can't wait for it.
Gerry Thornley hasn't been on tv in HOURS!

screenexile

The bottom line to come out of this 6 Nations is that it's damn hard to win away from home.

Englands worst 3 performances were away and barring teams playing in Rome the other 4 Nations lost all their away games!! We have our 3 away games next year wins in Paris or Twickenham will be hard to come by and I would definitely expect us to lose at least one.

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on March 19, 2017, 12:20:53 AM
The bottom line to come out of this 6 Nations is that it's damn hard to win away from home.

Englands worst 3 performances were away and barring teams playing in Rome the other 4 Nations lost all their away games!! We have our 3 away games next year wins in Paris or Twickenham will be hard to come by and I would definitely expect us to lose at least one.

France are shite, and even winning their home games will not put them into contention. So even losing to them and beating everyone else makes the Tickenham game the decider. If anything the route to actually having a championship deciding game in 2018 is clearer next year than it turned out to be this year.

Aerlik

;D

Ah great news to waken up to, here in Oz land.  Well done Ireland and to my fellow Ulsterman, Rory Best, our captain.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

seafoid

Scotland had a good run for a change. England wère the only team to win away.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Itchy on March 19, 2017, 12:09:01 AM
A Day in March II
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

LeoMc

Quote from: The Stallion on March 18, 2017, 10:33:30 PM
I defer to your knowledge of the game Leo, I only take a passing interest. It just seems odd that a nation which has never won a knockout World Cup game could seriously be considered one of the best teams in the world.

Furthermore it's odd that they would celebrate upon failing to win a tournament where Australia, New Zealand and South Africa didn't even participate.Maybe everyone was delighted with finishing level on points with Scotland?
Are you saying that if Derry beat Tyrone in the league it wouldn't elicit a sense of satisfaction, even though Derry would not win the All Ireland?

The Stallion

I couldn't care less if Derry won the League, it's a complete irrelevance of a competition.

And it's not at all like the situation yesterday, where England were awarded the Six Nations Title at the end of the game and Irish people were giddily celebrating.