The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Further proof today that Ireland are only a player or two short of being one hell of a team.

Delighted to see Henderson and O'Mahoney shove tactical selections up their coach's hole, while Payne was just outstanding (basically everything that Kearney is not).

Get rid of the wingers, replace them with flowerpots, and cross fingers with injuries - and we've a genuine chance in the next RWC.

ONeill

Quote from: thewobbler on March 18, 2017, 09:09:03 PM
Further proof today that Ireland are only a player or two short of being one hell of a team.

Delighted to see Henderson and O'Mahoney shove tactical selections up their coach's hole, while Payne was just outstanding (basically everything that Kearney is not).

Get rid of the wingers, replace them with flowerpots, and cross fingers with injuries - and we've a genuine chance in the next RWC.

A hell of a team?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

whitegoodman

Ireland wouldn't have won the game only for injuries to Kearney and Heaslip.  Both great servants but time to go.

POM was brilliant.  Him, stander and VDF would be a great back row.  Bring Byrne, Sweetman and Stockdale into the mix for wingers and for the love ok god keep Payne at full back.  Ringrose and Henshaw for 13, Olding and Scannall for 12.

Line out is too predictable with Toner as well and Ryan and Henderson are far superior around the pitch.

Great win but the coach is likely to get undeserved praise for this.

Tony Baloney

I think some of the coverage on Twitter etc. is a bit pathetic.  Yes a win over England is something to savour but Ireland shouldn't be feeling smug about winning a battle but ultimately losing the war.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 18, 2017, 09:20:49 PM
Ireland wouldn't have won the game only for injuries to Kearney and Heaslip.  Both great servants but time to go.
Great win but the coach is likely to get undeserved praise for this.
Sadly, this is pretty much it. This was the sort of muck and bullets game that Heaslip and Kearney wouldn't have excelled in. The same goes for Toner. Even if any of them were on song.
Luckily Joe also finally started taking our advice and didn't go for Fergus McFadden either.

thewobbler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2017, 09:25:57 PM
I think some of the coverage on Twitter etc. is a bit pathetic.  Yes a win over England is something to savour but Ireland shouldn't be feeling smug about winning a battle but ultimately losing the war.

While there's a never ending stream of luvvie horseshit in rugby I would disagree with you wholeheartedly here.

The very reason why test rugby is so utterly brilliant (and so significant) is because the players involved don't need a "war" to keep  them interested; the battle is plenty enough.

Today we witnessed two games that shouldn't have mattered a damn, yet some 90 odd players literally gave everything to the cause. That's worth celebrating.

Tony Baloney

I don't mean the team, I mean the fans with all the pish on social media about the wheels coming off the chariot etc. Childish shite like that.

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on March 18, 2017, 09:09:03 PM

Payne was a liability under the high ball? I'd imagine any coach worth his salt will place some emphasis on that for a full back? Can't catch the ball with your eyes closed...

whitegoodman

He is rusty having been out for 6 odd months but in general he is quite good under the high ball, although not his greatest strength.  That being said he is twice the player of a non tackling, non passing, non threatening alternative, Bobby Kearney!

LeoMc

Quote from: The Stallion on March 18, 2017, 09:00:43 PM
Have to say it's a bit puzzling to me why so many Irish fans and players were giddily celebrating as England were being awarded the title.

Difficult to reconcile that with the equally perplexing notion that Ireland are an elite rugby force to be reckoned with.

Big time talk conflicting with small time actions some might say.
Team and supporters celebrating a win shocker!

A top 4 team according to the world rankings and they have beat the other 3 in that top group would indicate they are at least competitive.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2017, 09:25:57 PM

Beating them is the war. If you told me we'd beat England every year but never win a grand slam I'd happily take it.

tyssam5

I read the match report on RTE about a 'famous win'. I saw barely a mention of the fact that England had still won the championship and that earlier losses had meant it was pretty mucha dead leg.

I thought Ireland had ambitions beyond being spoilers these days? If it was any other sport it would be written with the whole tournament in mind and that the team had ultimately failed.

The Stallion

I defer to your knowledge of the game Leo, I only take a passing interest. It just seems odd that a nation which has never won a knockout World Cup game could seriously be considered one of the best teams in the world.

Furthermore it's odd that they would celebrate upon failing to win a tournament where Australia, New Zealand and South Africa didn't even participate.Maybe everyone was delighted with finishing level on points with Scotland?

tyssam5

Quote from: LeoMc on March 18, 2017, 10:23:03 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on March 18, 2017, 09:00:43 PM
Have to say it's a bit puzzling to me why so many Irish fans and players were giddily celebrating as England were being awarded the title.

Difficult to reconcile that with the equally perplexing notion that Ireland are an elite rugby force to be reckoned with.

Big time talk conflicting with small time actions some might say.
Team and supporters celebrating a win shocker!

A top 4 team according to the world rankings and they have beat the other 3 in that top group would indicate they are at least competitive.

All in nothing games though, how many times have we seen an Ireland team that can get these kind of wins (OK maybe no NZ) and then go to world cup and get knocked out by Argentina.

imtommygunn

Tysam5 that was not a nothing game though. It was the grand slam for england and ireland were 2nd bottom unless they did something. England had to win it and we needed to too.

Yes we seem to do rubbish at world cups but far from a nothing game.