The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 07, 2017, 12:40:13 AM

James Lowe can become Irish qualified if he stays in Ireland medium term?

They reckon Lowe will be outside the 3 year period which is set to increase to 5 years in June I believe. Good signing for Leinster. They wont be far away from the European cup in the near future!

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 03, 2017, 03:44:45 PM

I am a fan of Joe not a fan of Kearney but Kearney has justified his selection. He has been a threat with ball in hand, good under the high ball, actually linking play and his positioning, his primary strength, has been excellent.

O'Halloran is unlucky, a better attacker that Kearney probably a better tackler too but it's the other area's that Kearney excels at that gives reassurance to the team. Tiernan is like Zebo and I don't think you can have two of those type of players in the team.

Joe is a systems and an attention to detail coach, know your role know your responsibilities, it can take time so in that regard he is conservative in selection but he prizes possession and is quite innovative in attack and around the ruck, not always about the ball either.

I think Kearney's tackling this year has been appallingly bad. 
He's in better form with ball-in-hand than he's been for a couple of seasons, but can't understand how he's been let away with his consistently awful "attempts" at tackles.

Walter Cronc

His counter attack game is non-existent hence my preference for O'Halloran.

I see Kirchner is leaving Leinster for Newport Dragons. Average player in my book. No great loss.

mouview

As an aside, can anyone confirm if former Times reporter Edmund Van Esbeck is still alive? Haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: mouview on March 07, 2017, 12:28:11 PM
As an aside, can anyone confirm if former Times reporter Edmund Van Esbeck is still alive? Haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Still alive. Has written in years.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Will Ireland cope with Wayne Barnes on Friday? He tends to be strict and Ireland usually end up on the wrong side of him.

Walter Cronc

Think we've won 4 out of 13 that Barnes has officiated. Our discipline has been excellent since last summers tour so hopefully it continues.

Take Your Points

Unchanged team for Wales but with Tommy Bowe on the bench.

Walter Cronc

Would anyone have been inclined to start POM over Stander and unleash CJ in last 30? Just thinking about only having 2 lineout jumpers against 3 Welsh!

LeoMc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 08, 2017, 01:58:25 PM
Would anyone have been inclined to start POM over Stander and unleash CJ in last 30? Just thinking about only having 2 lineout jumpers against 3 Welsh!
Would Henderson not be a better option if that we as concern?

Walter Cronc

I don't think Henderson's best position is the back row. I think he played there with Ulster due to the shortcomings they have in the back row. We should see him more at 2nd row next year with Ulster!

magpie seanie

Tommy Bowe - hate criticising the lad because he has been so good for us in the past but there's no way his selection is justified. He wasn't even in the original 36 (37 once corrected) man panel. "Trained the house down" - such bull.

Anyway - with Wayne Barnes on the whistle and a good Welsh side who could easily be unbeaten this is an uphill task. I'm sensing most people are thinking of the "championship decider" which is worryingly akin to the build up to the Scotland match. Losing to Wales would be a disaster, think it would put them ahead of us for 4th in World Rankings which are locked after 6 nations.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2017, 11:50:30 AM
Tommy Bowe - hate criticising the lad because he has been so good for us in the past but there's no way his selection is justified. He wasn't even in the original 36 (37 once corrected) man panel. "Trained the house down" - such bull.

Anyway - with Wayne Barnes on the whistle and a good Welsh side who could easily be unbeaten this is an uphill task. I'm sensing most people are thinking of the "championship decider" which is worryingly akin to the build up to the Scotland match. Losing to Wales would be a disaster, think it would put them ahead of us for 4th in World Rankings which are locked after 6 nations.

Wales currently sit in 7th place so don't think a win will make them jump above us. If they lose their last 2 games they could slip to 9th and end up in a group of death come the 2019 RWC. Tommy Bowe is there purely for defence against George North. North has been poor for a while now but I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up tomorrow night!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 09, 2017, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2017, 11:50:30 AM

Wales currently sit in 7th place so don't think a win will make them jump above us. If they lose their last 2 games they could slip to 9th and end up in a group of death come the 2019 RWC. Tommy Bowe is there purely for defence against George North. North has been poor for a while now but I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up tomorrow night!

Wales dropped from 5th after losing to Scotland but if they win their last 2 and we lose our last 2 I think they'll be ahead of us. Scotland not far behind us too though I don't expect they'll beat England but if they did....

The reason you mention for Bowe's selection, if it's the case, is sad. Typical Joe though. The very things we criticise England for (too conservative, obsessed with systems, defence, robotic etc) we turn a blind eye when St Joe does them.

Walter Cronc

I understand your frustrations, trust me. Whats or who is the alternative to coach Ireland though?

In the next year or so I'd love to see this back line.

15. O'Halloran
14. Sweetnam
13. Ringrose
12. Henshaw
11. Stockdale
10. Sexton
9. Murray