The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on March 02, 2017, 12:30:18 PM
Payne starting at Centre for Ulster is interesting. I would have thought now Ringrose has been bedded in it would be best to transition to Payne @ FB. He is a better full back than Kearney when on form.

I think you'll see Payne return to 13 for the Wales and England games. Ringrose has been excellent but as we all know JS is ultra conservative and the 13 channel is where we've been exposed before. Argentina and Scotland to name but two!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 12:57:11 PM
Payne starting at Centre for Ulster is interesting. I would have thought now Ringrose has been bedded in it would be best to transition to Payne @ FB. He is a better full back than Kearney when on form.

I think you'll see Payne return to 13 for the Wales and England games. Ringrose has been excellent but as we all know JS is ultra conservative and the 13 channel is where we've been exposed before. Argentina and Scotland to name but two!

Explain this?
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 02, 2017, 02:02:59 PM

Explain this?

No problem Joe. Tiarnan O'Halloran is the form 15 in Ireland. Should be starting instead of Kearney imo.

trileacman

Explain this?

Js is conservative, sticking with kearney at fb this long who is sound defensively but a toothless attacker. Payne likewise is a real defensive centre too. Payne/henshaw partnership is a blunt chisel.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AhNowRef

Quote from: trileacman on March 02, 2017, 11:07:23 PM

Explain this?

Js is conservative, sticking with kearney at fb this long who is sound defensively but a toothless attacker. Payne likewise is a real defensive centre too. Payne/henshaw partnership is a blunt chisel.

Would Joe not leave Ringrose where he is and maybe put Payne in at FB ... worth a shot as Payne is a very good FB ... ah who knows ... Joe would know better than me anyway I would guess  :P

Syferus

Ringrose has had maybe one moment all championship so far. Probably to be expected since he's pretty much a rookie at this level. Looks a bit light for his frame too, you'd worry about injuries if he doesn't put on a bit of beef.

Henshaw is like having a back rower at centre. Fantastic for breaking the line.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 02:14:02 PM

Explain this?

No problem Joe. Tiarnan O'Halloran is the form 15 in Ireland. Should be starting instead of Kearney imo.

I am a fan of Joe not a fan of Kearney but Kearney has justified his selection. He has been a threat with ball in hand, good under the high ball, actually linking play and his positioning, his primary strength, has been excellent.

O'Halloran is unlucky, a better attacker that Kearney probably a better tackler too but it's the other area's that Kearney excels at that gives reassurance to the team. Tiernan is like Zebo and I don't think you can have two of those type of players in the team.

Joe is a systems and an attention to detail coach, know your role know your responsibilities, it can take time so in that regard he is conservative in selection but he prizes possession and is quite innovative in attack and around the ruck, not always about the ball either.
#newbridgeornowhere

Take Your Points

Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2017, 02:06:49 PM
Ringrose has had maybe one moment all championship so far. Probably to be expected since he's pretty much a rookie at this level. Looks a bit light for his frame too, you'd worry about injuries if he doesn't put on a bit of beef.

Henshaw is like having a back rower at centre. Fantastic for breaking the line.

Ringrose is a bit lightweight for the modern centre but this is as much an age issue, he has time to build bulk while retaining speed.  His physique is not dissimilar to O'Driscoll at the same age (not say he is another O'Driscoll).  Meanwhile Payne is 'man big' and strong and needed against the more physical centres they will meet with Wales and England.

screenexile

Ulster demonstrating tonight why they don't deserve to be in the top 4 of the Pro 12... absolute dross!!!

Will Jonno Gibbs make much of a difference next season??

magpie seanie

Smart tactics by the best coach in Ireland by a mile to leave a loaded bench to come on and reignite things in a quagmire. It looked like we were getting bogged down but the subs including that legend Muldoon in particular drove us on the get the BP win. We're probably too far behind to pass Ulster or Scarlets (Glasgow have to make it) but I think we could do it via the playoffs if we can build on our good form and keep guys fit.

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2017, 09:25:20 PM
Ulster demonstrating tonight why they don't deserve to be in the top 4 of the Pro 12... absolute dross!!!

Some new prayers needed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hardy on March 04, 2017, 11:27:40 AM

Some new prayers needed.

Jesus lads the pitch was a proper mud bath it rained the whole time and if the temperature was above 2degress I'd be well surprised..

Was same for both teams but it will always create handling kicking catching errors, as was the case last night...

Wouldn't read too much into that result
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2017, 04:26:51 PM

Some new prayers needed.

Jesus lads the pitch was a proper mud bath it rained the whole time and if the temperature was above 2degress I'd be well surprised..

Was same for both teams but it will always create handling kicking catching errors, as was the case last night...

Conditions in Belfast were lovely compared to Galway.

Take Your Points

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 04, 2017, 04:42:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2017, 04:26:51 PM

Some new prayers needed.

Conditions in Belfast were lovely compared to Galway.

But it's always like that in the Sportsground, the great leveller!

DuffleKing

James Lowe can become Irish qualified if he stays in Ireland medium term?