The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

This thread is one of the few reasonable appraisals of Irish rugby though. I still enjoy watching the sport even if it's not as good as it was prior to the elv. It's the bandwagon jumping that annoys me. Ands it's almost impossible to block out. Open your snApchat on matchday, read the Sunday paper, turn on the radio, scroll through fb or twitter, it's always there.

It's like the English soccer hype around becks, Owen and Rooney from 98-04 applied to Irish rugby. Does no one else feel this happen to rugby since the dawn of the millennium?  Maybe it was always present  and it's just social media makes me notice it more now.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on March 01, 2017, 11:19:03 PM
This thread is one of the few reasonable appraisals of Irish rugby though. I still enjoy watching the sport even if it's not as good as it was prior to the elv. It's the bandwagon jumping that annoys me. Ands it's almost impossible to block out. Open your snApchat on matchday, read the Sunday paper, turn on the radio, scroll through fb or twitter, it's always there.

It's like the English soccer hype around becks, Owen and Rooney from 98-04 applied to Irish rugby. Does no one else feel this happen to rugby since the dawn of the millennium?  Maybe it was always present  and it's just social media makes me notice it more now.

I hear you, it really started with Eddie O'Sullivans Ireland, then Munster and the holy grail, followed by grand slam and Leinster dominance. Rugby has attracted an amazing support where the majority of supporters don't attend club games and have never attended club games. It's sexy because Ireland are decent.

But I just roll with it happy to impart knowledge and debate with bandwagoners, I do have zero time for knee jerkism or provincial bias. Have bandwagon fans is a small price to pay for a decent side. I still remember the 80s and 90s.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2017, 11:35:11 PM

I hear you, it really started with Eddie O'Sullivans Ireland, then Munster and the holy grail, followed by grand slam and Leinster dominance. Rugby has attracted an amazing support where the majority of supporters don't attend club games and have never attended club games. It's sexy because Ireland are decent.

But I just roll with it happy to impart knowledge and debate with bandwagoners, I do have zero time for knee jerkism or provincial bias. Have bandwagon fans is a small price to pay for a decent side. I still remember the 80s and 90s.
It happens with every team that enjoys a bit of success eg Man Utd. "We are playing on Sunday. "Maybe it is more obvious with rugby which may not be that easy to understand.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2017, 06:24:04 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 01, 2017, 11:35:11 PM

It happens with every team that enjoys a bit of success eg Man Utd. "We are playing on Sunday. "Maybe it is more obvious with rugby which may not be that easy to understand.....

Surely you're intelligent enough to know that happens with everything, not even sport, politics, fashion, music... always hip to follow the big thing. Why people get annoyed about the hyperbole over it is beyond me, media will try and attract attention over the latest thing to generated money!

People will follow like sheep or people will actually enjoy it as it is .... I'd say most people myself included have had very limited personal experience of rugby, played couple times at school when the PE teacher wanted to see us blatter each other, been to ravenhill a few times or I've watched the nephews play for school a lot, makes me no expert but hey it's a grand excuse to head to pub cheer on your county have a few beers and post on here!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

I've blocked Joe.ie.  If it isn't some online masturbating over the Irish Rugby team and/or players*, then it's some shite about a new jersey being 'delicious' somewhere in the world.

And if it's neither of them, it's some uninformed horseshit about the GAA.

*I'm a fan of Rugby, and a regular matchgoer, however I don't need to read why they think 'And then Conor Murray did this!' or that 'Tadgh Furlong is unreal because he played u12 football'. I thought when Paulie retired they'd start struggling, but they just keep going.

Walter Cronc

Agree that joe.ie is a total curse. Same when McGregor is fighting or the Euros. Sure aren't the irish deadly craic!!!

Don't agree with the Newstalk bashing. IMO 2nd captains is much worse with the bollixology!! Love themselves.

Murray Kinsella is by far the best analyst online when it comes to rugby. When he has Eddie O'Sullivan on it is pure class for a nerd like myself! :)

screenexile

Why are Leinster signing an Aussie back row?

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on March 02, 2017, 09:24:32 AM

Apparently he has been signed to play exclusively as a lock.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 02, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 02, 2017, 09:24:32 AM

Apparently he has been signed to play exclusively as a lock.

Will that donkey Hayden Triggs be given the road? Would preferred to have seen James Ryan given more time next year.

screenexile

Cheers AZ I didn't realise that it defintely makes more sense... I think the country is pretty well set up with local back rowers for the next 5 years at least anyway and probably longer!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on March 02, 2017, 11:33:35 AM
Cheers AZ I didn't realise that it defintely makes more sense... I think the country is pretty well set up with local back rowers for the next 5 years at least anyway and probably longer!!

Locals and South Africans! :)

AhNowRef

I cant for the life of me understand why some people get so annoyed at new support for the team ... Personally Ive never played but Ive been a big fan since I was a kid and have been going to matches all my life (was at the France game at the weekend) but I really cant see why anyone would get pissed at "new" folk taking an interest ...

Would it be better if we had less support and less interest ? .. Some people seem to feel that only the select few, who have maybe played the game or been lifelong supporters, should be "allowed" to follow Ireland ?  A closed shop as such ....... I dont get it  :-\

AZOffaly

Quote from: AhNowRef on March 02, 2017, 11:49:50 AM
I cant for the life of me understand why some people get so annoyed at new support for the team ... Personally Ive never played but Ive been a big fan since I was a kid and have been going to matches all my life (was at the France game at the weekend) but I really cant see why anyone would get pissed at "new" folk taking an interest ...

Would it be better if we had less support and less interest ? .. Some people seem to feel that only the select few, who have maybe played the game or been lifelong supporters, should be "allowed" to follow Ireland ?  A closed shop as such ....... I dont get it  :-\

I don't mind new fans, in fact I like that. My problem is the joe.ie culture. Jamie Heaslip farts, and it is suddenly the best, most rosey smelling fart ever done.

screenexile

Payne starting at Centre for Ulster is interesting. I would have thought now Ringrose has been bedded in it would be best to transition to Payne @ FB. He is a better full back than Kearney when on form.

AhNowRef

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 02, 2017, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on March 02, 2017, 11:49:50 AM

I don't mind new fans, in fact I like that. My problem is the joe.ie culture. Jamie Heaslip farts, and it is suddenly the best, most rosey smelling fart ever done.

Ah yeah, that is a bit annoying right enough !! ........ his farts are class though  :o .. Tadhg Furlongs on the other hand  :-X