The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podge

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 07, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 07, 2017, 09:18:15 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on February 06, 2017, 08:52:44 PM
Heaslip is done.

The stats once again prove that Heaslip had a good game. Made most carries and top tackler in the back row. I think Schmidt got the balance wrong in that either one of CJ or O'Brien starts along with VdF.

Love all the experts on here after pointing out flaws post game, yet no one bothered to discuss the potential for them in the run up.

Yet Heaslip failed to hold the ball up when on the five metre line following I think O'Brien's breakout and lost the ball by trying to offload to Henshaw.  If he had simply taken the tackle, went to ground and presented the ball, this would have either absorbed time when Ireland were ahead or have provided the killer score from a try or penalty.  Then the ball is lost, the Scots come up the field and Heaslip fails to roll away, gives away a penalty that provides the lead to Scotland when they were under severe pressure.  This gave them the ambition to attack and win.

So the stats don't always show the key points in the game.

Anyone who has watched Glasgow against the Irish sides knew that they have struggled with the speed of their game and this speed and running game was replicated in the Scotland team's approach on Saturday. Plus who was to know how slow that the Irish backs have become, in particular, Zebo whose lack of pace was shown up and who insists on playing at centre and crowding the midfield against big men he has no hope of knocking back.

It was Murray's break away, not O Brien.  Easy with hindsight to say Heaslip (thanks AZ!) should have gone to ground and recycled but had he done so and a try not been forthcoming, he would be lambasted for not having tried to get a pass away... such are the margins at this level

And it was Jackson who have away the penalty, not Heaslip, the ref could be heard stating that it was not no 8.

..so the apparent 'facts' don't always show they key points either.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Take Your Points

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 09, 2017, 09:55:03 AM

Changing codes?

Thought it would be rugby league given his tussles with Keegan.

AZOffaly

Team for Saturday

15. Kearney
14. Earls
13. Ringrose
12. Henshaw
11. Zebo
10. JAckson
9. Murray
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. Stander
7. O'Brien
8. HEaslip

Take Your Points

Reps: R Scannell, J McGrath, J Ryan, U Dillane, J Van der Flier, K Marmion, I Keatley, C Gilroy.

Walter Cronc

Gilroy in ahead of O'Halloran. Sometimes JS selections really test your patience!!

Walter Cronc

Best down with a stomach bug. Could be out for tomorrow. I'd be happy enough to see if Scannell is up to it! He could get the call with 20 to go v France, England or Wales.

Hardy

Amazingly, there's a hint that the complacency is there still/again this week. Conor Murray in a piece recorded before they left for Rome, in the course of telling us how dangerous Italy are and all the usual stuff that you wouldn't say about Wales or England, said Italy will be there for a long time in this game, or words to that effect.

I'm not saying Ireland are going to lose again, because I don't think Italy at their best can beat Ireland at 75%. But it's unbelievable to me that in a week when the emphasis had to be on getting the heads right, and in the light of what unrated Scotland did to us, the attitude seems to persist that we only have to hold Italy until late in the game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on February 11, 2017, 02:55:19 PM
Italy are very poor.

They are, but Ireland's intensity and urgency is a mile ahead of where they were last week. Schmidt must be very disappointed that they didn't show up for at least 40 minutes last week.

AZOffaly

Also so much easier to watch a game on RTE when this commentator is on instead of 'Royle'.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2017, 03:08:47 PM
Also so much easier to watch a game on RTE when this commentator is on instead of 'Royle'.

My heart soared. I had been considering watching without sound.

Why is it not on BBC NI?

AZOffaly

Syferus

We're beating the worst team in the tournament. RTE commentators and pundits falling over themselves to congratulate what was always gonig to be a relatively easy ride.

France will tell us if this team have what it takes to respond to the Murrayfield debacle.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2017, 03:17:54 PM
We're beating the worst team in the tournament. RTE commentators and pundits falling over themselves to congratulate what was always gonig to be a relatively easy ride.

France will tell us if this team have what it takes to respond to the Murrayfield debacle.

That's true, but I've seen labour in Rome before, and then pulling away. This was full speed from the kick off, which at least is good to see. Also Henshaw is breaking the line, Scannell is doing well on his debut, and Stander and Seanie (and Heaslip) look much more like themselves.

It's not the All Blacks by any means, but it might be a good exercise in blowing the dirty diesel out.

AZOffaly

Italy's tackling is putrid. Really poor. CJ Stander caught a kick, and ran it ahead, and the Italian 14 just crumpled up at his feet. Then for a couple of the tries, they just didn't want to know.