The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on February 04, 2017, 05:52:01 PM
Henshaw is horribly horribly overrated as I've said before. An ignorant battering ram and as international standards go he's a poor one. Deserves nowhere near the standing he or this Ireland team have accumulated. There was a time before the hype brigade when Ireland were enjoyable to follow even when they were shite.

The Sindo and joe.ie have put paid to that. Now every clearing kick, side step and last Man tackle is treated as one the 7 wonders of the world. This Ireland side is much substandard to the previous and the sooner that it's recognised the better. Stander is another hype magnet too, tell me again of his love for shamrocks and bags of spuds whilst he shits the nest against inferior socttish back rows.

Paddy Jackson lost the game with an incredibly basic error. Picking on a centre when your province is providing the poor out-half play is blinkered to say the least.

We win with Sexton. We lose with Jackson or whoever else is filling in. Sexton is probably the most valuable player in world rugby to his team, and I don't think it's even particularly close.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

As I said already, the only sport where fans get excited about a friendly

foxcommander

PMSL. Headline on RTE: 

Recap: how Scots ended Ireland's Grand Slam hopes

They hadn't even started.

Hopefully that's the end of the shite I have to listen to about rugby for 2017.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

They have no exciting players

Take Your Points

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2017, 07:24:39 PM

Paddy Jackson lost the game with an incredibly basic error. Picking on a centre when your province is providing the poor out-half play is blinkered to say the least.

We win with Sexton. We lose with Jackson or whoever else is filling in. Sexton is probably the most valuable player in world rugby to his team, and I don't think it's even particularly close.

Porcelain Johnny might have been the main man for Ireland a few years ago but he hasn't performed at the level and for as long as needed for the last two seasons.  A Jackson-Madigan combination would be much better.  Jackson wasn't to blame for the poor lineouts, the dropping of the ball and knock ons and the poor back trio of Kearney, Zebo and Earls who failed dot impress.  How can Zebo be considered a first choice given the sheer lack of speed he showed in a foot race in the first half when the ball was kicked forward and his need to play in centre field where he is ineffective as a battering ram.

The game was actually lost when the win was almost ready for collection by Heaslip.  He lacks a speed of thought required in situation were he is required to do anything other than batter, go to ground and push in the scrum.  On a number of occasions today he didn't even push in a dominant scrum and want to get the ball for himself.  When Ireland was ahead and he got to the 5 metre line, he paused to think about an offload to his mate Henshaw instead of going to round and presenting the ball to be finished by others.  This score would have killed off Scotland.  Then when Scotland pushed on the Ireland 22 and discipline was required, he gave away penalty.  Unfortunately,  Schmidt won't let him go.

Ringrose showed he can't make any impact in a physical game, too light and not enough strength for a centre but does play for Leinster.

All together very disappointing but not surprising given the way that confidence has been increased by the rise of Glasgow and its fast running game and the experience gained by those in France.

screenexile

Jesus lads calm down. It was one bad performance next thing we're bottom of the 6N . . . For all the spouting the Irish Media does when Ireland go well you have the opposite here where after one below par performance we're the worst in the world.

Let's see how the competition goes before we write off the whole team!

Syferus

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 04, 2017, 08:26:00 PM

Porcelain Johnny might have been the main man for Ireland a few years ago but he hasn't performed at the level and for as long as needed for the last two seasons.  A Jackson-Madigan combination would be much better.  Jackson wasn't to blame for the poor lineouts, the dropping of the ball and knock ons and the poor back trio of Kearney, Zebo and Earls who failed dot impress.  How can Zebo be considered a first choice given the sheer lack of speed he showed in a foot race in the first half when the ball was kicked forward and his need to play in centre field where he is ineffective as a battering ram.

The game was actually lost when the win was almost ready for collection by Heaslip.  He lacks a speed of thought required in situation were he is required to do anything other than batter, go to ground and push in the scrum.  On a number of occasions today he didn't even push in a dominant scrum and want to get the ball for himself.  When Ireland was ahead and he got to the 5 metre line, he paused to think about an offload to his mate Henshaw instead of going to round and presenting the ball to be finished by others.  This score would have killed off Scotland.  Then when Scotland pushed on the Ireland 22 and discipline was required, he gave away penalty.  Unfortunately,  Schmidt won't let him go.

Ringrose showed he can't make any impact in a physical game, too light and not enough strength for a centre but does play for Leinster.

All together very disappointing but not surprising given the way that confidence has been increased by the rise of Glasgow and its fast running game and the experience gained by those in France.

Jackson-Madigan would only be good for whoever we play. The best coach in rugby has coached both for years and don't really rate them - enough said.

Way to attack a lad who has suffered serious head injuries too. Online tough guy.

podge

Quote from: AQMP on February 04, 2017, 04:15:35 PM
Think Scotland deserved that
[/quote

Really? I am not convinced. I think Scotland were fortunate today. Ireland were not far away from a victory.  Scotland got scores nearly every time they attacked in first half and they won the game because they managed to capitalise on almost every Irish mistake- can't rely on that every week.

Malfunctioning line out  in the first half killed us.  Thought paddy Jackson did little wrong to be honest.  Was very disappointed in best(line out the throwing)and Henderson ( try apart).  Stander was v good bar a knock on at the end

Take Your Points

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2017, 08:37:16 PM

Jackson-Madigan would only be good for whoever we play. The best coach in rugby has coached both for years and don't really rate them - enough said.

Way to attack a lad who has suffered serious head injuries too. Online tough guy.

It's not his head injuries that are the issue, its his legs that are the problem. Concussion can affect anyone in any game.

When did Eddy Jones state he didn't rate Madigan or Jackson?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2017, 08:34:53 PM
Jesus lads calm down. It was one bad performance next thing we're bottom of the 6N . . . For all the spouting the Irish Media does when Ireland go well you have the opposite here where after one below par performance we're the worst in the world.

Let's see how the competition goes before we write off the whole team!

Away with this sanity!!!

When did this extremist bi-polarism come into affect was it with  the evolution of social media because the journalists on Twitter are talking about Ireland choking. Dumbwits - sometimes you just get beat by the better team on the day and you just move on.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on February 04, 2017, 08:37:16 PM

So you'd much prefer him playing considering the state he's in as you have mentioned??? Surely that's worse online tough guy!?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

The way Scotland celebrated at the end of a deserved victory, you'd think they just managed to beat the All Blacks. I suppose that's what years of getting whacked by Italy will do to you.

Main Street

Quote from: Thastheball on February 04, 2017, 11:22:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2017, 11:20:34 PM
The way Scotland celebrated at the end of a deserved victory, you'd think they just managed to beat the All Blacks. I suppose that's what years of getting whacked by Italy will do to you.

Sure isn't that's how Ireland celebrated when they beat the All Blacks in a FRIENDLY. At least Scotland won a game that mattered ffs.
Yes ffs.
You might have an informed opinion but then again there are no friendlies against the All Blacks.... ffs
That's not how the rugby world works .....ffs.   
Intl  friendlies are a soccer thing, ffs.

theticklemister

Whats the craic with this triple crown shit? Can someone explain it to me?

Don't mind the oul ruggerball, didn't see nothing today as i was GAAing, but hope phil coulter's boys go well.

yellowcard

Whilst watching Ireland play rugby, I always want them to win the match but its more out of patriotism than anything else. I'm not going to pretend that I'm really disappointed once it is over. It always amuses me with the amount of event junkies who tune in for the 5/6 big rugby matches every year and profess themselves as resident experts by throwing in a few impressive phrases. Most gaa supporters are these type of fans in my experience. Indeed the only time I ever tune in is for some of the ECC games and the big international matches. I have to say though that I find rugby very predictable with 95% grunt and 5% skill. I can appreciate the skill level required to play no 9 & no 10 in particular but overall the emphasis is very much on size and power rather than skill and finesse. It's a massive corporate event though and at the top level the sport is thriving as these event junkies buy into the hype. Meanwhile at grass roots level the sport continues to decline.