The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Sean Cronin is out for the six nations. The Leinster hooked picked up a hamstring injury.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 16, 2017, 12:50:13 PM
http://www.the42.ie/ulster-arno-botha-springboks-signings-3189063-Jan2017/

What is going on at the IRFU!!! Its pretty obvious Leinster have about 9 quality backrowers and yet Ulster sign a South African!

Surely 2 of Jack Conan, Dan Leavy, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan or even Max Deegan playing regularly at Ulster over the next 2 years would be more beneficial to their development. I know Leinster have invested heavily in these players but for the greater good (Ireland) 2 years up north with an option to move back to Leinster may be more beneficial.

Ulster have also confirmed that John Cooney has signed. That's a smart move for him. Decent player.

Our culture is tribal, makes sense at every level expect players don't want to move, you can't force them if they don't want to.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 17, 2017, 09:30:37 AM

What is going on at the IRFU!!! Its pretty obvious Leinster have about 9 quality backrowers and yet Ulster sign a South African!

Surely 2 of Jack Conan, Dan Leavy, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan or even Max Deegan playing regularly at Ulster over the next 2 years would be more beneficial to their development. I know Leinster have invested heavily in these players but for the greater good (Ireland) 2 years up north with an option to move back to Leinster may be more beneficial.

Ulster have also confirmed that John Cooney has signed. That's a smart move for him. Decent player.

Our culture is tribal, makes sense at every level expect players don't want to move, you can't force them if they don't want to.

Easy excuse in my opinion Dinny and so very typical Irish. Players have to be made aware from a young age that Ireland comes first, much like NZ. If a player has any wit about them they'd make the move. Kudos to Cian Kelleher for having the balls to move. Kieran Reid is an Auckland man and move to their biggest rivals in Canterbury as the NZ top brass wanted him to do so. I'm sure in NZ rugby is much more tribal than here!

screenexile

As well as that Belfast is only an hour and a half up the road so it shouldn't be a major issue for those lads!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2017, 09:42:02 AM
As well as that Belfast is only an hour and a half up the road so it shouldn't be a major issue for those lads!

Doesnt give you the D4 lifestyle SE and next thing Trimby would have ye meeting the local pastor ;)!! What about a Swatragh man winning MOTM for Ulster A the other night!!!!

GaillimhIarthair

If he can stay fit, Cooney could be a great signing - very talented and a real pity we cant hold on to him @ Connacht

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 17, 2017, 09:40:11 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 17, 2017, 09:30:37 AM

Easy excuse in my opinion Dinny and so very typical Irish. Players have to be made aware from a young age that Ireland comes first, much like NZ. If a player has any wit about them they'd make the move. Kudos to Cian Kelleher for having the balls to move. Kieran Reid is an Auckland man and move to their biggest rivals in Canterbury as the NZ top brass wanted him to do so. I'm sure in NZ rugby is much more tribal than here!

I don't disagree and the IRFU are probably too lenient with the Provinces in regards to this. Players need to be educated.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 17, 2017, 10:27:30 AM

If he can stay fit, Cooney could be a great signing - very talented and a real pity we cant hold on to him @ Connacht

We're getting fucked over at every turn as usual.

Milltown Row2

Connacht putting it up to Toulouse!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2017, 04:56:32 PM
Connacht putting it up to Toulouse!!

Gutting to go out but only ourselves to blame. Too many mistakes, missed opportunities and wrong options. It's very disappointing. We're still a good team but what made Connacht champions last year was the low % of mistakes. It has been the opposite this season....probably due to the injuries and lack of continuity. Need to get back into the Champions Cup next season which will be tough.

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on January 23, 2017, 03:47:14 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 23, 2017, 03:42:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2017, 02:00:56 PM
Squad named!

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-squad-six-nations-3200403-Jan2017/

When's the last time Sexton played for St Mary's I wonder?

Has Craig Gilroy ever played for Bangor??

I'd say its long and many's a day, so why do the IRFU bother putting those clubs up with the real teams, who are they kidding?

Walter Cronc

Squad named!

Only noticed that. He must have changed as he's from Hollywood. Pretty sure he played for Dungannon. Bowe and Gilroy lucky to be on ahead of Adam Byrne. Gutted Sweetnam is injured. Looks the real deal.

passedit

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 23, 2017, 03:49:43 PM
Squad named!

Only noticed that. He must have changed as he's from Hollywood. Pretty sure he played for Dungannon. Bowe and Gilroy lucky to be on ahead of Adam Byrne. Gutted Sweetnam is injured. Looks the real deal.

Definitelt Bangor, very lucky to make this squad as he seemed to be well down the pecking order atm.
Don't Panic