Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Franko on December 20, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 20, 2016, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2016, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2016, 12:49:58 PM
You threw it out as a hyperbolic statement, saying that basically Hartley has been suspended for more time than he's played. But you are using to different measures of time. The suspended time you used calendar days/hours, while his playing time you measured only actual match 80 minutes.

As the lads said, a 1 week suspension (24*7*60) = 10080 minutes. That would mean by your measure a player suspended for a week has 'been suspended for more time than they played' unless their career was longer than 126 games.

Exactly, that is a fact.

It may be meaningless, but that is the maths of it.

There are almost always 15 players on a rugby team.  There are almost always two teams.  Players generally have two legs.

15*2*2 = 60.

Therefore, at the beginning of play, there are more players' legs on a rugby pitch than on a tennis court.

This fact even holds true for doubles.

Maths.  Great stuff.

Good man, I don't see the connection between tennis and rugby, but knock yourself out.

See bold.

If you don't see a connection between time spent playing rugby and time suspended from playing rugby, then fine. Better still, if you think that number of legs on a tennis court is similarly related to the number of legs on a rugby pitch, then that is fine too.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 20, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 20, 2016, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2016, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2016, 12:49:58 PM
You threw it out as a hyperbolic statement, saying that basically Hartley has been suspended for more time than he's played. But you are using to different measures of time. The suspended time you used calendar days/hours, while his playing time you measured only actual match 80 minutes.

As the lads said, a 1 week suspension (24*7*60) = 10080 minutes. That would mean by your measure a player suspended for a week has 'been suspended for more time than they played' unless their career was longer than 126 games.

Exactly, that is a fact.

It may be meaningless, but that is the maths of it.

There are almost always 15 players on a rugby team.  There are almost always two teams.  Players generally have two legs.

15*2*2 = 60.

Therefore, at the beginning of play, there are more players' legs on a rugby pitch than on a tennis court.

This fact even holds true for doubles.

Maths.  Great stuff.

Good man, I don't see the connection between tennis and rugby, but knock yourself out.

See bold.

If you don't see a connection between time spent playing rugby and time suspended from playing rugby, then fine. Better still, if you think that number of legs on a tennis court is similarly related to the number of legs on a rugby pitch, then that is fine too.  :D

Oh dear. ;D

screenexile

Is it just me or have Ulster been rode by the IRFU??

Leinster have the majority of their big Irish names available and Ulster none!!

Hardy

Ah no I don't think it's like that. All the international players have their club playing time limited. It's up to the teams how/when they use them. Mind you, that Ulster plank who's commentating can't seem to talk about anything else.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on December 31, 2016, 03:52:08 PM
Ah no I don't think it's like that. All the international players have their club playing time limited. It's up to the teams how/when they use them. Mind you, that Ulster plank who's commentating can't seem to talk about anything else.

He's horrendous... worse than Ryle!!!

michaelg

Quote from: screenexile on December 31, 2016, 05:25:24 PM

Mark Robson is a good commentator - Quite light hearted and doesn't take himself too seriously like some of the other pricks who commentate on rugby and football.

lenny

Quote from: michaelg on December 31, 2016, 05:42:18 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 31, 2016, 05:25:24 PM

Mark Robson is a good commentator - Quite light hearted and doesn't take himself too seriously like some of the other pricks who commentate on rugby and football.

Great commentator, very enthusiastic. He also commentated on gaa for a couple of seasons and was very good especially for someone froma non gaa background. He was full of enthusiasm which was in stark contrast to jackie fullerton.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on December 31, 2016, 03:39:54 PM
Is it just me or have Ulster been rode by the IRFU??

Leinster have the majority of their big Irish names available and Ulster none!!

Don't believe so SE. I think it was down to the provinces over who they selected throughout the Christmas and new year period. Strange that Ulster went full strength against Connacht and weakened against Leinster. Likewise Leinster being weak against Munster away.

Ulster are an infuriating outfit - have been for years. Have little sympathy for them after the way they shafted Brian Mclaughlin a superb coach. The Kiss tenure has been dire to me. Same old mistakes coming back to haunt them. How Kiss got the job in the first place is baffling anyway. A defence coach with a league background!! Kiss, Doak and others need to go.

Also the playing squad get it way too comfy. No accountability outside the 4 or 5 genuine top class players. Likes of Cave stealing a living!

Take Your Points

IRFU have decided that provinces can have full strength at home and rest internationals for away inter-provincial games. Hence recent Leinster and Ulster selections.

screenexile

I know high tackles need to be cut out but what happened to Ulster last night was scandalous!!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2017, 11:43:22 PM
I know high tackles need to be cut out but what happened to Ulster last night was scandalous!!!
Didn't see it but I watched the Saracens v Exeter match today and there was one red card and could possibly have been two for the same tackle.

Walter Cronc

Looks like Racing scrum half James Hart is off to Munster. Have to question what the hell Cunningham and Logan are doing at Ulster!! Surely Nucifora would prefer Hart starting at 9 for Ulster next year rather than a back up to Murray at Munster!

moysider

Some serious performances in Leinster win tonight and Sexton takes another big hit but appears to be fine.
Conan was savage and McGrath looks good to me.

What will the back row be for 6 Nations I wonder? The whole forwards?

seafoid

Munster in the qfs  . Some change in one year

Walter Cronc

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-arno-botha-springboks-signings-3189063-Jan2017/

What is going on at the IRFU!!! Its pretty obvious Leinster have about 9 quality backrowers and yet Ulster sign a South African!

Surely 2 of Jack Conan, Dan Leavy, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan or even Max Deegan playing regularly at Ulster over the next 2 years would be more beneficial to their development. I know Leinster have invested heavily in these players but for the greater good (Ireland) 2 years up north with an option to move back to Leinster may be more beneficial.

Ulster have also confirmed that John Cooney has signed. That's a smart move for him. Decent player.