The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2016, 03:51:18 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 05, 2016, 02:39:07 PM
The Lions has lost its magic simply because the 'home' nations in the last 10 yrs have caught up. This test in NZ will be good because NZ are so dominant but future tours to OZ and SA will be boring. England smashed Australia 3-0 in Australia last summer and Ireland really should have beaten SA in SA twice. Ireland have won more than lost against SA/AUS in the last 10 yrs and Im sure England have a similar record even the Scots have given Australia a few good games with only the Welsh last test aside being battered by the big 3 time and time again

Money is changing things

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/dec/05/autumn-internationals-2016-verdict-guardian-writers-highs-and-lows
Worst performance of the autumn

MA South Africa. Take your pick. The Italy defeat was the most shocking, so let's go for that, but there is a serious concern here. The financial power in England and France has torn Pacific Island rugby apart and now it's moving on to the next. South Africa have been stripped bare. Australia are wobbling. New Zealand are holding out. For now. But not even they are above this particular menace to rugby's global balance

SA do have a problem but they only have themselves to blame. Why didnt they call up Stander before he qualified for us, Most international teams are dumb for not looking at their own players playing abroad. Even Ireland do it. We desperately needed a backup for Sexton when Jackson and Keatley were having their wobbles and there was the premierships top scorer Steenson just waiting for a call up but no he played for Exeter so for some reason he was overlooked.

JPGJOHNNYG

Sorry and Australia are as bad as anyone for poaching pacific island players so they wont get much sympathy from me

AZOffaly

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 05, 2016, 04:37:52 PM
The Lions has lost its magic simply because the 'home' nations in the last 10 yrs have caught up. This test in NZ will be good because NZ are so dominant but future tours to OZ and SA will be boring. England smashed Australia 3-0 in Australia last summer and Ireland really should have beaten SA in SA twice. Ireland have won more than lost against SA/AUS in the last 10 yrs and Im sure England have a similar record even the Scots have given Australia a few good games with only the Welsh last test aside being battered by the big 3 time and time again

Money is changing things

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/dec/05/autumn-internationals-2016-verdict-guardian-writers-highs-and-lows

MA South Africa. Take your pick. The Italy defeat was the most shocking, so let's go for that, but there is a serious concern here. The financial power in England and France has torn Pacific Island rugby apart and now it's moving on to the next. South Africa have been stripped bare. Australia are wobbling. New Zealand are holding out. For now. But not even they are above this particular menace to rugby's global balance

SA do have a problem but they only have themselves to blame. Why didnt they call up Stander before he qualified for us, Most international teams are dumb for not looking at their own players playing abroad. Even Ireland do it. We desperately needed a backup for Sexton when Jackson and Keatley were having their wobbles and there was the premierships top scorer Steenson just waiting for a call up but no he played for Exeter so for some reason he was overlooked.

For Ireland, that's been going on a long time. Bob Casey and Trevor Brennan were basically discarded when they went to England and France.

Syferus

Sexton is in another class to Owen Farrell, who is flakey as they come and quite limited too. Might be best for Sexton if he wants to make the next WC if the manager goes with Farrell though.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 05, 2016, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 05, 2016, 04:37:52 PM

Money is changing things

For Ireland, that's been going on a long time. Bob Casey and Trevor Brennan were basically discarded when they went to England and France.

It's a easy strategy to attack but it has as many positives as negatives. It's designed to ensure you keep the national league and clubs strong and don't just end up a feeder nation for the bigger clu s like Scotland and to a smaller degree wales.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

haze

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2016, 06:35:00 PM
Sexton is in another class to Owen Farrell, who is flakey as they come and quite limited too. Might be best for Sexton if he wants to make the next WC if the manager goes with Farrell though.

Farrell was nominated for world player of the year, undefeated this year for England and won Grand Slam, Champions Cup and Premiership. And I'm not sure where the flaky comment comes from? Think his international kicking stats are the second highest off all international kickers. And he has just turned 25 - Sexton's international career was only getting started at that age. So while I don't like him, I wouldn't dismiss him!

Syferus

Quote from: haze on December 05, 2016, 09:52:48 PM

Farrell was nominated for world player of the year, undefeated this year for England and won Grand Slam, Champions Cup and Premiership. And I'm not sure where the flaky comment comes from? Think his international kicking stats are the second highest off all international kickers. And he has just turned 25 - Sexton's international career was only getting started at that age. So while I don't like him, I wouldn't dismiss him!

Sexton is a complete player. Some of Farrell's tackling and territory kicking has been stone brutal. This year Jones has masked much of it by getting the whole England squad playing better but he's essentially the same player he always was. Don't be too quick to forget the WC last Autumn.

rrhf

I'd imagine sexton is twilight stuff, the injuries and abuse he took over the years will haunt us over the next year.

trileacman

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2016, 10:00:42 PM

Sexton is a complete player. Some of Farrell's tackling and territory kicking has been stone brutal. This year Jones has masked much of it by getting the whole England squad playing better but he's essentially the same player he always was. Don't be too quick to forget the WC last Autumn.

How'd that go for us?

People in glass houses.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Would Matt O'Connor be a good choice for Connacht?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2016, 07:31:25 AM
Would Matt O'Connor be a good choice for Connacht?

Good lord Seafoid. Not in a million years!!!

seafoid

I like what Willie Ruane said about Bundee Aki

Bundee wants to be on a winning team. He wants to play good rugby and he wants a very good coach

johnneycool

I thought Farrell was in the centre for England these last few games with Ford outhalf, no?

Why would Farrell be given the outhalf jersey if he can't even get it for England?

As for the Lions, apart from being a load of pish, Gatland is hardly the most expansive of coaches so I'd not get too bothered if Sexton wasn't included..

haze

Quote from: johnneycool on December 06, 2016, 09:40:42 AM

I thought Farrell was in the centre for England these last few games with Ford outhalf, no?

Why would Farrell be given the outhalf jersey if he can't even get it for England?

As for the Lions, apart from being a load of pish, Gatland is hardly the most expansive of coaches so I'd not get too bothered if Sexton wasn't included..

not arguing at all that Farrell should get the 10 jersey, as you say he wearing 12 for England at the moment - was just making the point that I don't think he is "quite limited" or "flakey" (in so far as I see anyway). Sexton's career performances over the last two years have taken him to a different level, similar criticisms were unfairly levelled at him as well. Certainly Farrell at 25 compares very favourably to Sexton at 25.

Walter Cronc

Could be a good move here for Connacht. No coach will find it easy following Lam however.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-jono-gibbes-lam-leinster-contender-3126755-Dec2016/