The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 20, 2016, 10:15:57 AM
A sport where one team decided to take the opponents out of the game, caused injuries and weren't penalised?

Why would a parent encourage their child to play this game?

Incidentally, how many players were concussed yesterday?
3? 4?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 20, 2016, 11:11:46 AM
A sport where one team decided to take the opponents out of the game, caused injuries and weren't penalised?

3? 4?

In the one match?

That's an epidemic.

manfromdelmonte

I actually didn't watch it live

Was at a handball game. More enjoyable

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 10:32:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 10:28:24 AM

How do you know there were players concussed?

You should just ignore this bigot folks.  Let him rant away but don't reply.  Its pointless trying to argue with an idiot- years of experience will mean they will come out in top.

I think it's pointless trying to argue against facts, that is why you guys are left clutching at empty insults like "bigots".

You also come out with a whole load of statements which have zero factual basis e.g you stated last week housewife viewing figures for rugby were through the roof?  You pick and choose what you want to reply too.  Your an idiot IMO.  You may think the same about me...i couldnt care less.  But no matter about all your facts which I dont dispute you dont seem to grasp that you are not going to change my opinion on rugby and I would say its the same for everyone else on here who enjoys the sport.

Why do you constantly cone on a thread where 95% of people want to talk about the game in a positive light without your constsnt slating of it.  Cant you not create a I Hate Rugby thread for that?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 12:41:21 PM

You should just ignore this bigot folks.  Let him rant away but don't reply.  Its pointless trying to argue with an idiot- years of experience will mean they will come out in top.

I think it's pointless trying to argue against facts, that is why you guys are left clutching at empty insults like "bigots".

You also come out with a whole load of statements which have zero factual basis e.g you stated last week housewife viewing figures for rugby were through the roof?  You pick and choose what you want to reply too.  Your an idiot IMO.  You may think the same about me...i couldnt care less.  But no matter about all your facts which I dont dispute you dont seem to grasp that you are not going to change my opinion on rugby and I would say its the same for everyone else on here who enjoys the sport.

Why do you constantly cone on a thread where 95% of people want to talk about the game in a positive light without your constsnt slating of it.  Cant you not create a I Hate Rugby thread for that?

The fact 4 women were interviewed coming out of the stadium on RTE news yesterday gives my point on housewives credence. They also blamed the referee.

galwayman

Anyone else find the rte post match interview with Steve Hansen cringey in the extreme?
It really came across as sore loser type stuff to me anyway.
I would have thought that if the roles were reversed anyway and the opposition media had questioned Joe Schmidt like that after the game.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on November 20, 2016, 01:52:37 PM
Anyone else find the rte post match interview with Steve Hansen cringey in the extreme?
It really came across as sore loser type stuff to me anyway.
I would have thought that if the roles were reversed anyway and the opposition media had questioned Joe Schmidt like that after the game.
At least Brian Carthy wasn't doing it

Walter Cronc

A lot of irish supporters doing serious crying on social media. Most would fall into the bandwagon support. Yes New Zealand played on the edge but I wouldn't say they were overly dirty. Cynical yes but not dirty. If Kane and Fekitoa are to be cited then surely Sexton has to be for his high tackle on Barrett.

Going to be an interesting selection ahead of the Oz game.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 06:34:52 PM
A lot of irish supporters doing serious crying on social media. Most would fall into the bandwagon support. Yes New Zealand played on the edge but I wouldn't say they were overly dirty. Cynical yes but not dirty. If Kane and Fekitoa are to be cited then surely Sexton has to be for his high tackle on Barrett.

Going to be an interesting selection ahead of the NZ game.

The problem is someone like me with limited knowledge of the sport is relying on the commentary and listening to the lads on SKY you'd think the ref and TMO were appalling.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 01:28:38 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 12:41:21 PM

The fact 4 women were interviewed coming out of the stadium on RTE news yesterday gives my point on housewives credence. They also blamed the referee.

Yeah well now that you say it was 4 women who were interviewed it means it must be true. You really are a joke.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2016, 06:41:24 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 06:34:52 PM

Going to be an interesting selection ahead of the NZ game.

The problem is someone like me with limited knowledge of the sport is relying on the commentary and listening to the lads on SKY you'd think the ref and TMO were appalling.

Don't mean to be condescending MM. Fans come with all levels and I'm no expert for sure. Just think it's symptomatic in all sports nowadays. Looking to pass the blame off to someone else. We had opportunities we didn't take them. Simple as.

grounded

Ahhh down with the begrudgers. Tons of positives to be taken, nor least the forwards performance and the return of Sean O Brien. The unfortunate injuries showed that we have some strength in depth. Der flier was excellent when he entered the fray. Really concerned with the performances of Cian Healy. I appreciate that he has had some big injury concerns but his development seems to have plateaued and he has definitely dropped way down the pecking order. England are still the team to beat in the 6 nations but we have the beating of them.
                 Its been well documented before but one of the big differences between New Zealand and others is their ability to off load in the tackle. We demonstrated a lot of that on Saturday but more often than not the final touch let us down.

screenexile

Yeah I wouldn't be blaming the ref or anybody else it was our own fault.

Very noticeable that NZ conceded the breakdown in order to keep their defensive line intact. Had Sexton been there I think he would have exploited this more than Jackson who only chipped over once but Payne very nearly broke through.

Will be interesting to see what kind of team we can field for the Aussies!

Throw ball

Quote from: straightred on November 20, 2016, 10:51:18 AM

This is the bracket i fall into. I have lads playing hurling, gaelic and soccer and while you don't want to tell a kid what do it I give zero encouragement toward rugby. So far it has worked. It might make a good spectacle and (despite what some detractors might say) it can be very exciting to watch but that doesn't compensate for the downsides. It is far too physical and players are too exposed to the prospect of serious injury with longer term repercussions. This is not what sport should be about.

I've always liked the respect side of rugby as well but even that is beginning to slip.

Have to say I fall into this category too. I enjoy watching the game but would normally not even let my youngest watch it in case he asked about playing it. It really should have a 15 certificate.

I also find it hard to excuse a sport were someone can be taken out like Henshaw was and the commentators state that it was fair enough as he tried to get his arm around. Players should owe a duty of care to one another. A tackle like that should be a red card deliberate or not. As the bodies of the players get stronger a tackle like that could kill someone. The increase in concussion injuries is a warning.

muppet

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11751991

The Kiwis reckoned they were hard done by.

Any comment from the lads who know their rugby?

...The Irish hinted that they felt Peyper had let them down. But as much as it may have looked - home crowd reaction always influences the perception - that Ireland had been hard done by, so too can the All Blacks mount a strong case to say they didn't have much go their way.

The tackle Johnny Sexton made to try to stop Barrett's try was high and dangerous. If Barrett had been judged not to have scored, it would most likely have been a penalty try in any case with Sexton being shown a yellow card.

Barrett scored a second try in the first half that was disallowed for a supposed knock-on - but the interpretation could just as easily and perhaps should have been that Irish first-five Paddy Jackson was stripped of the ball and the correct decision would have been play-on...try New Zealand.

And what about the knock-on by Andrew Trimble when Barrett chipped into the clear and passed to Israel Dagg?

In Super Rugby the knock-on would have been adjudged deliberate and the outcome either a penalty, or a penalty try in this case as Dagg would have been in the clear and probably would have scored. It also would have been a yellow card for Trimble...
MWWSI 2017