The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Bomber why do you like a Scottish soccer team? What's the story there? Family from Scotland??

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 10:31:07 PM
The interest in domestic soccer is the true reflection of our passion for the game. I live in the UK now and the difference between their everyday interest in soccer and ours is stark. We aren't even close to being genuinely passionate about the game. Mind you, I prefer our broader, if often superficial, interest in sports. The UK is a one trick pony and all the worse for it.

There's no money in the domestic game, it's semi pro - Dundalk will lose Horgan for free in December because clubs cannot afford to tie players down on long term contracts. The domestic league in turn suffers, the best players go abroad and the quality of the domestic game invariably suffers. English Premier League soccer has a much bigger attraction to Irish sports fans than rugby has. Rugby has a much bigger attraction to non Irish sports fans and houswives than Premier League soccer does.

seafoid

Bomber, Connacht are playing some fabulous stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHMQC4CmKc8

If you want to critique rugby, talk about concussion

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 10:33:59 PM
Bomber why do you like a Scottish soccer team? What's the story there? Family from Scotland??

I support an Irish side who play in Scotland called Celtic. You might notice they fly a tricolour over their stadium, something you wouldn't see the West Brits do once they waddle their fat arses on a plane to go play abroad.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:31:43 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 10:24:39 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:21:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 10:13:37 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 09:53:18 PM
Soccer is the biggest bandwagon sport in Ireland though with very few supporting their local team and almost all picking the top British team of their youth to 'follow'. Now I personally wouldn't watch a soccer game if it was on in the front room, I'd have little interest in rugby either but if lads like to support those sports or newer fads like MMA I don't see the issue even if I can't get into them myself.

Bandwagon?

The vast, vast majority of football supporters have played the game for a start, been into it since they were old enough to kick a ball - who they decided to support is a different matter but the interest in sport is genuine.

The vast majority of rugby people have never chucked an egg shaped ball in their lives.

Ah stop Bomber, there is a fairly superficial level of interest in soccer in Ireland. It's the glamour professional sport on our doorstep, in 50 years time rugby may well be the sport kids want to play as professionals. If we were beside America it would be American football. GAA is the sport that's in our souls, soccer most certainly isn't and will probably be replaced by rugby as the glamour sport of choice. Nobody does bandwagons like the Irish but why not let them at it? Like the Celtic or Man U fans??

Superficial?

It's the most popular sport in the country, has been for some and still continues to be - it shows no sign of abating either.

The thing with rugby is that quite a high amount of people who follow it and attend matches have no real sporting interest. I would say the % level of housewife interest in rugby is through the roof.

I would say GAA is the most popular sport in the country.

As for your second point do you have any actual factual figures to back up these claims or if you say the level is through the roof does that make it true?

Incorrect soccer is more popular and more played than gaelic football, hurling, basketball or rugby.

Interesting - what is your source for that?  Depends what way you are measuring - in terms of people attending games GAA would be far an away the most popular.  That is probably an inaccurate measurement though based on the number of GAA games versus soccer or rugby.  However do you have a link to your source?

What about a factual figure/source to your second point that housewife viewing figures have gone through the roof?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 10:39:52 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:31:43 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 10:24:39 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:21:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 10:13:37 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2016, 09:53:18 PM
Soccer is the biggest bandwagon sport in Ireland though with very few supporting their local team and almost all picking the top British team of their youth to 'follow'. Now I personally wouldn't watch a soccer game if it was on in the front room, I'd have little interest in rugby either but if lads like to support those sports or newer fads like MMA I don't see the issue even if I can't get into them myself.

Bandwagon?

The vast, vast majority of football supporters have played the game for a start, been into it since they were old enough to kick a ball - who they decided to support is a different matter but the interest in sport is genuine.

The vast majority of rugby people have never chucked an egg shaped ball in their lives.

Ah stop Bomber, there is a fairly superficial level of interest in soccer in Ireland. It's the glamour professional sport on our doorstep, in 50 years time rugby may well be the sport kids want to play as professionals. If we were beside America it would be American football. GAA is the sport that's in our souls, soccer most certainly isn't and will probably be replaced by rugby as the glamour sport of choice. Nobody does bandwagons like the Irish but why not let them at it? Like the Celtic or Man U fans??

Superficial?

It's the most popular sport in the country, has been for some and still continues to be - it shows no sign of abating either.

The thing with rugby is that quite a high amount of people who follow it and attend matches have no real sporting interest. I would say the % level of housewife interest in rugby is through the roof.

I would say GAA is the most popular sport in the country.

As for your second point do you have any actual factual figures to back up these claims or if you say the level is through the roof does that make it true?

Incorrect soccer is more popular and more played than gaelic football, hurling, basketball or rugby.

Interesting - what is your source for that?  Depends what way you are measuring - in terms of people attending games GAA would be far an away the most popular.  That is probably an inaccurate measurement though based on the number of GAA games versus soccer or rugby.  However do you have a link to your source?

What about a factual figure/source to your second point that housewife viewing figures have gone through the roof?

Playing numbers.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2016, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 01:54:56 PM
Duke of York? God I've been in that old bar since late 80's!!
Apart from The Duke of York and the Front Page or White's Tavern but certainly not much in town back in the day, apart from the risk of a kicking.

I'd imagine you got one or two kickings in your day !  ;) ;)

Frank_The_Tank

Getting back to the rugby chat with people who actually are interested in the sport - would you start Sean O'Brien on Saturday or Van Der Flier?  Any other changers to the team that started in Chicago?  Peter O'Mahony?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

screenexile

Don't feed the troll lads your life will be much easier if you ignore his drivel.

Celtic an Irish Club ... Jesus wept!! The only thing Irish about it anymore is that they hate the Brits!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on November 15, 2016, 10:56:53 PM
Don't feed the troll lads your life will be much easier if you ignore his drivel.

Celtic an Irish Club ... Jesus wept!! The only thing Irish about it anymore is that they hate the Brits!!!

But voted to stay British, strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:36:31 PM

I support an Irish side who play in Scotland called Celtic. You might notice they fly a tricolour over their stadium, something you wouldn't see the West Brits do once they waddle their fat arses on a plane to go play abroad.

LOL an irish side. Jesus you are some craic....

So it's about flegs!!! That's what makes you irish isn't it.

Ladies and gents we have Tyrones version of Wulllllie Fraser!

"What you say ye slabbbbbbber?"

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 11:23:18 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 10:36:31 PM

LOL an irish side. Jesus you are some craic....

So it's about flegs!!! That's what makes you irish isn't it.

Ladies and gents we have Tyrones version of Wulllllie Fraser!

"What you say ye slabbbbbbber?"

It's about what's in the tin of beans, not what the wrapper says.

Rugby is very much the game for unionists in Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Bigot lol!! Unreal scratch the surface and hey presto
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 11:30:31 PM
Bigot lol!! Unreal scratch the surface and hey presto

Sounds more like you guys are inverted bigots, maybe Castle Catholics.