Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 07:56:23 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 03:45:34 PM
Quote from: our_fella on November 15, 2016, 03:22:48 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 03:20:43 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 10:17:50 PM

Rugby had no following in Ireland and then overnight half the country were big rugby people who were blowing excessive money following the fortunes of the bottlers. I wonder how many of our Ulster rugby fans on here set foot inside Ravenhill before the mid 2000s?

Not to mention all these women who suddenly were 'into rugby' who never played a sport in their lives.

And do you see a problem with this you bitter old w****r?

look like we have another troll in foxcommander  :-[  Can you explain the logic on commenting on the Rugby thread?

Another rugby bully boy who cannot take valid criticism about the game and its faux die hards.
It's opinion and not very well put together and we don't need 2 weeks of it

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 06:02:37 PM
I have no interest in netball. But I don't spend my day joining netball forums to tell netball fans that they are wrong.

But that is exactly what you do. You choose to join a discussion on a sport you obviously hate, trying to show fans of that sport that they are all wrong and you are right. Either you are a troll, or completely insane.

If Netball gets as much hyperbole and vomit inducing, self congratulatory bullshit about it on all forms of media then I will be the first to rail against it. As it is, netball is an irrelevance and makes no odds to me. For a person living in Ireland right now it is very hard to go about and not have rugby foisted down your throat.

I am entitled to make valid criticisms about the nonsense level of hysteria about a niche game with little grass roots interest in the country. The real crux of the matter here is the defensive and nasty reaction from those who have been called out as impressionable bandwagon jumpers. They know that the criticisms I've put forward of the game are valid - yet the fact that they have gone from having no interest in the game to being self proclaimed rugby die hards - are hard to accept for them - it raises big questions on their intelligence levels and so it should. It's a bit like when yer man in The Crying Game falls for the lady with the tadger.

muppet

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 08:16:55 PM
I have no interest in netball. But I don't spend my day joining netball forums to tell netball fans that they are wrong.

But that is exactly what you do. You choose to join a discussion on a sport you obviously hate, trying to show fans of that sport that they are all wrong and you are right. Either you are a troll, or completely insane.

If Netball gets as much hyperbole and vomit inducing, self congratulatory bullshit about it on all forms of media then I will be the first to rail against it. As it is, netball is an irrelevance and makes no odds to me. For a person living in Ireland right now it is very hard to go about and not have rugby foisted down your throat.

I am entitled to make valid criticisms about the nonsense level of hysteria about a niche game with little grass roots interest in the country. The real crux of the matter here is the defensive and nasty reaction from those who have been called out as impressionable bandwagon jumpers. They know that the criticisms I've put forward of the game are valid - yet the fact that they have gone from having no interest in the game to being self proclaimed rugby die hards - are hard to accept for them - it raises big questions on their intelligence levels and so it should. It's a bit like when yer man in The Crying Game falls for the lady with the tadger.

So you can insult whatever 'vomit inducing, self congratulatory bullshit' you like.

But no one can call your posts 'vomit inducing, self congratulatory bullshit'?
MWWSI 2017

Frank_The_Tank

Your well entitled to your opinion.  Think everyone gets it.  Im asking why you are continually posting about in the thread.  I think we have all got the point of your argument some of which may be i agree with.  I only really got into rugby in the early 2000's.  Big deal like.  Why does it annoy you so.much like? 

You want people to accept your valid criticism of it but you are unwilling to accept the vast majority of people on this thread want to discuss the positiveness of ireland beating nz.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 08:34:47 PM

Your well entitled to your opinion.  Think everyone gets it.  Im asking why you are continually posting about in the thread.  I think we have all got the point of your argument some of which may be i agree with.  I only really got into rugby in the early 2000's.  Big deal like.  Why does it annoy you so.much like? 

You want people to accept your valid criticism of it but you are unwilling to accept the vast majority of people on this thread want to discuss the positiveness of ireland beating nz.

There needs to be acceptance that rugby football is built on myth and hyperbole. My criticism should be accepted because it is valid, yet it's not and it's been defended with all sorts of bullshit - I guess it annoys me because I'm a straight talker who is averse to bullshit and there is nothing more bullshit that the way rugby football is positioned in this country.

Milltown Row2

You've already accepted it so move on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 08:40:27 PM

There needs to be acceptance that rugby football is built on myth and hyperbole. My criticism should be accepted because it is valid, yet it's not and it's been defended with all sorts of bullshit - I guess it annoys me because I'm a straight talker who is averse to bullshit and there is nothing more bullshit that the way rugby football is positioned in this country.

Surely it's easily topped by the soccer myth and hyperbole in this country, most notably the Celtic fan, though not confined to them??

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 08:40:27 PM

You are not going to bully us all into changing our opinion on rugby with your very silly and immature arguments. You are on a crusade here and it's pathetic to come on here every couple of days to see you dominating a thread on a sport you obviously detest. The simple fact is rugby is on the crest of a wave both for spectators and playing especially at youth level. It's a great sport to watch, magherafelt is quite a big rugby town and I have gone to occasional games since I was young. I have a number of friends who play regularly and I played a small bit at school. I can't wait for the game this saturday and most sports fans in Ireland will be glued to the game. It should be a fantastic occasion and hopefully we can do it again.

Il Bomber Destro

What makes the rugby bully boys so testy about relaying the reality of their connection with the game is that they see it for the charade that it is.

It's like a marriage of convenience, it's like a husband marrying his wife because her family is worth a few bob and the wife marrying her husband because he's got a well paid job.

They envy what football fans have, that true love at first sight that childhood sweethearts who grow old and happy together have. It's that game you start playing at 3 or 4 and do all throughout your childhood and early adulthood, the passion for the game is true and never leaves you. It's not about being able to wave at the camera.

Rugby players are all about their media profile, the footballers are serious individual concerned with being allowed to focus on their football.

omaghjoe

I was being greatly entertained by this, but I think Bomber stumbled upon a valid point with rugby being on a bit of a bandwagon.

Myself being a great example of it over the past decade or so...never played it, never really wanted to play it, dont really support any club or provinical teams, but followed the Irish team. However since I moved to the states I couldnt really give a shit about it that much, its not on the box, or the news and more crucially I dont seek it out on the internet like the way I do with the football.
So I could only conclude that I was into rugby because of how the media... and in particular RTE push it as a super important high profile sport

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 09:18:35 PM
What makes the rugby bully boys so testy about relaying the reality of their connection with the game is that they see it for the charade that it is.

It's like a marriage of convenience, it's like a husband marrying his wife because her family is worth a few bob and the wife marrying her husband because he's got a well paid job.

They envy what football fans have, that true love at first sight that childhood sweethearts who grow old and happy together have. It's that game you start playing at 3 or 4 and do all throughout your childhood and early adulthood, the passion for the game is true and never leaves you. It's not about being able to wave at the camera.

Rugby players are all about their media profile, the footballers are serious individual concerned with being allowed to focus on their football.

Well to be fair the GAA is our national sport so it's no surprise we are football and hurling fans in the main. I've no real issue with lads jumping on the soccer or rugby bandwagons.

foxcommander

Quote from: lenny on November 15, 2016, 09:02:53 PM
You are not going to bully us all into changing our opinion on rugby with your very silly and immature arguments. You are on a crusade here and it's pathetic to come on here every couple of days to see you dominating a thread on a sport you obviously detest. The simple fact is rugby is on the crest of a wave both for spectators and playing especially at youth level. It's a great sport to watch, magherafelt is quite a big rugby town and I have gone to occasional games since I was young. I have a number of friends who play regularly and I played a small bit at school. I can't wait for the game this saturday and most sports fans in Ireland will be glued to the game. It should be a fantastic occasion and hopefully we can do it again.

A) a great sport to watch  :o
B) Magherafelt? Say hi to Willie McCrae. Case closed.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 15, 2016, 09:19:47 PM
I was being greatly entertained by this, but I think Bomber stumbled upon a valid point with rugby being on a bit of a bandwagon.

Myself being a great example of it over the past decade or so...never played it, never really wanted to play it, dont really support any club or provinical teams, but followed the Irish team. However since I moved to the states I couldnt really give a shit about it that much, its not on the box, or the news and more crucially I dont seek it out on the internet like the way I do with the football.
So I could only conclude that I was into rugby because of how the media... and in particular RTE push it as a super important high profile sport

Joe - As far as I recall the RTE D4 set started broadcasting the domestic games even though there were only 10 men and a dog in Donnybrook attending. They put a lot of effort into promoting it.

omaghjoe

Also in terms of a spectacle, professional rugby on the TV is good, however live its rubbish, for the most part you cant see whats goin on, its real up the jumper stuff.

foxcommander

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 15, 2016, 09:37:25 PM
Also in terms of a spectacle, professional rugby on the TV is good, however live its rubbish, for the most part you cant see whats goin on, its real up the jumper stuff.

A bunch of fat lads hugging  :D