The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Have been in frames a good few times more during the day though but only recently the front page where clientele have changed a little bit to say the least i suspect...

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 11:46:59 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2016, 11:38:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2016, 10:56:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 15, 2016, 10:21:47 AM

As an aside, as an Ulster man, I will never support the Ulster rugby team in its current guise. The selection processes, coaching, administration and governance is inherently sectarian and no serious attempt has been made to address this. Of course plenty of Catholics don't care and go to ravenhill for the spectacle but personally I wouldn't go near it until I see some fundamental change in culture from the top down.

Explain all these reasons before making such a hideous claim.

Yeah, I mean to be fair rugby is played in tradionally Protestant Grammer schools up north and not played in Catholic schools at any level as far as i know, Ulster rugby pick from these schools and they represent Ulster at school level and then make it (if they are lucky) to get on to the Ulster set up.... There has been many attempts from catholics in the past that set up rugby teams and such but lost a lot of interest as they were mainly GAA men and never really commited to it...

Ive never heard of a bias to be honest and thats from lads i know personally who over the years have been involved with coaching at schools and ulster levels

wrong...as I mentioned to the thread dose a while back, a couple of catholic schools in Derry now field rugby teams

Couple, do they play in the schools cup or the lower level competitions? How have they fared?

that's 2 in Derry, I'm not sure about other areas. Schools Cup level, no, be a fair bit off that level at the minute. There's a few of our minors playing, I'll get the low down as to how they are progressing.

Was talk of brining it into a lot of schools but to fit it in with their current soccer and gaelic games set up would put more strain on timetabling and getting staff to get involved... most parents that are involved with rugby do send their sons to particular schools with the tradition, Inst, Methody, BRA, and the rest and the training facilities at these schools is on a par to professional clubs, directors of rugby brought in to do just that, no teaching just coaching....

MacRory not far behind either at the minute... serious setups in the Schools for that. St. Marys just employed a full time GAA Officer. Will it help deliver our first MacRory beating St. Pat's in the process??

One can only hope!!

Frank_The_Tank

Ireland video bid for the 2023 world cup looks good (narrated by Liam Neeson)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37988826
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on November 15, 2016, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 11:46:59 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2016, 11:38:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 15, 2016, 10:56:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 15, 2016, 10:21:47 AM

As an aside, as an Ulster man, I will never support the Ulster rugby team in its current guise. The selection processes, coaching, administration and governance is inherently sectarian and no serious attempt has been made to address this. Of course plenty of Catholics don't care and go to ravenhill for the spectacle but personally I wouldn't go near it until I see some fundamental change in culture from the top down.

Explain all these reasons before making such a hideous claim.

Yeah, I mean to be fair rugby is played in tradionally Protestant Grammer schools up north and not played in Catholic schools at any level as far as i know, Ulster rugby pick from these schools and they represent Ulster at school level and then make it (if they are lucky) to get on to the Ulster set up.... There has been many attempts from catholics in the past that set up rugby teams and such but lost a lot of interest as they were mainly GAA men and never really commited to it...

Ive never heard of a bias to be honest and thats from lads i know personally who over the years have been involved with coaching at schools and ulster levels

wrong...as I mentioned to the thread dose a while back, a couple of catholic schools in Derry now field rugby teams

Couple, do they play in the schools cup or the lower level competitions? How have they fared?

that's 2 in Derry, I'm not sure about other areas. Schools Cup level, no, be a fair bit off that level at the minute. There's a few of our minors playing, I'll get the low down as to how they are progressing.

Was talk of brining it into a lot of schools but to fit it in with their current soccer and gaelic games set up would put more strain on timetabling and getting staff to get involved... most parents that are involved with rugby do send their sons to particular schools with the tradition, Inst, Methody, BRA, and the rest and the training facilities at these schools is on a par to professional clubs, directors of rugby brought in to do just that, no teaching just coaching....

MacRory not far behind either at the minute... serious setups in the Schools for that. St. Marys just employed a full time GAA Officer. Will it help deliver our first MacRory beating St. Pat's in the process??

One can only hope!!

Lol keep dreaming Screen.

theticklemister

So how much does he get paid? Does he overrule the coaches?

foxcommander

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 10:17:50 PM

Rugby had no following in Ireland and then overnight half the country were big rugby people who were blowing excessive money following the fortunes of the bottlers. I wonder how many of our Ulster rugby fans on here set foot inside Ravenhill before the mid 2000s?

Not to mention all these women who suddenly were 'into rugby' who never played a sport in their lives.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

our_fella

Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 03:20:43 PM

Rugby had no following in Ireland and then overnight half the country were big rugby people who were blowing excessive money following the fortunes of the bottlers. I wonder how many of our Ulster rugby fans on here set foot inside Ravenhill before the mid 2000s?

Not to mention all these women who suddenly were 'into rugby' who never played a sport in their lives.

And do you see a problem with this you bitter old w****r?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: our_fella on November 15, 2016, 03:22:48 PM

look like we have another troll in foxcommander  :-[  Can you explain the logic on commenting on the Rugby thread?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

AhNowRef

Youse lads would need to chill out a bit ... Rugby "always" had a good following in Ireland .... Many people, myself included, have always been Rugby fans but even if they weren't, sure what harm is there in that .. better late than never...

I find it hard to fathom why certain people feel so bitter about a sport that they cant even see why fans would get a little excited when their team beats the best team ever for the first time ever .. or maybe they just dont want to see it  ::) ... certain underlying issues/excuses Im sure  ;)

And to lambast Rugby but suggest Saccer is beyond reproach is laughable .. a pile of overpaid prima donnas who mostly couldnt give a feck Versus fellas who go out week after week and get their heads smashed in for the love of the game/club/country .....

And the most ridiculous thing is that some blinkered folk try to paint Rugby as all hoity-toity .. it sure as hell aint !! ....

I think both lads above must have had their eyes wiped by a Rugby player   :o

JoG2

The anger &  bitterness in you pair cannot be healthy. Seriously,  life's too short to be so twisted,  live and let live

foxcommander

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 03:45:34 PM

look like we have another troll in foxcommander  :-[  Can you explain the logic on commenting on the Rugby thread?

How is this trolling? I know quite a few of such people who jumped on the bandwagon with no prior interest in sports just because it became the thing to do. They wanted to be part of the posh crowd.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Denn Forever

I bet  they were surprised when they 1st went to Thomond park.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 15, 2016, 04:12:26 PM
I bet  they were surprised when they 1st went to Thomond park.

Hey!!!! What are you saying? We're dead posh in Thomond Park. Sometimes we even take the wrappers off our burgers before we eat them.

We still prefer turnips though.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2016, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 15, 2016, 03:45:34 PM

How is this trolling? I know quite a few of such people who jumped on the bandwagon with no prior interest in sports just because it became the thing to do. They wanted to be part of the posh crowd.

trolling -
Being a p***k on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

If the glove fits

AhNowRef

Fox & Bomber both seem to enjoy soccer tremendously but swat Rugby away as a garrison game .... thats all you need to know Im afraid !!