The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: square_ball on November 13, 2016, 10:31:31 PM
That's a really stupid argument. How many lads have boxed, done MMA, played American football, drove a formula 1 car etc etc?

I don't agree.

Loads of people have became big rugby fans in their 20s/30s/40s despite the fact that.

I would say most of the people who are big rugby fans now had little to no interest in the game 15 years ago. The only reason it has became popular is due to the fact it is only taken seriously in a handful of countries, making success a lot easier to achieve - the national side had an upturn in results and the people in the media pushed. The impressionable, naive, folly people bought into this as a result and are now big rugby fans.

Irish rugby fans tend to be like cult members- "Everything is great about rugby football, criticism of the game is not wanted or needed". The national team are lauded as sporting giants, despite the fact they rank somewhere between 5th and 8th in a sport that only 8 countries take anywhere serious.

If I had an interest in sport and it was accessible for me to play then I would take it up when I was in a position, I'm sure most normal people would as well.

square_ball

Did Tyrone have loads of support pre-2003 or did it only become popular to support Tyrone as only a handful of counties can realistically win the all Ireland thus making success relatively easily to come by? I'd say the likes of you who appears to have no ties to a club only became interested in Tyrone when they became successful. Apologies in advance for making assumptions but I guess you have done the same to rugby fans.

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 13, 2016, 11:03:06 PM
That's a really stupid argument. How many lads have boxed, done MMA, played American football, drove a formula 1 car etc etc?

I don't agree.

Loads of people have became big rugby fans in their 20s/30s/40s despite the fact that.

I would say most of the people who are big rugby fans now had little to no interest in the game 15 years ago. The only reason it has became popular is due to the fact it is only taken seriously in a handful of countries, making success a lot easier to achieve - the national side had an upturn in results and the people in the media pushed. The impressionable, naive, folly people bought into this as a result and are now big rugby fans.

Irish rugby fans tend to be like cult members- "Everything is great about rugby football, criticism of the game is not wanted or needed". The national team are lauded as sporting giants, despite the fact they rank somewhere between 5th and 8th in a sport that only 8 countries take anywhere serious.

If I had an interest in sport and it was accessible for me to play then I would take it up when I was in a position, I'm sure most normal people would as well.

Give us some data, bomber
Rugby was always on the telly. In the 80s and 90s Ireland might win 2 matches in the 5 or 6N with occasional class like 82 or 85

But then O'Driscoll rolled up
He  scored 3 tries in PARIS to beat the French in France for the first time in 30 years in 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWr9Oz-cnzI
I remember pulling into a pub in Tipp to watch it.
Rugby has been on an upward curve since then

seafoid

Tyrone people knew about Canavan because of the all Ireland Under 21 wins but it was 1994 when the country took notice of him . Tyrone never had anything like him before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JLASzADsaI

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2016, 08:36:47 AM

I don't agree.

Rugby was always on the telly. In the 80s and 90s Ireland might win 2 matches in the 5 or 6N with occasional class like 82 or 85

He  scored 3 tries in PARIS to beat the French in France for the first time in 30 years in 2000

Back in 95 Leinster played in front of a crowd of 4k at Landsdowne Road in the Heinken Cup.

http://origin-m.ercrugby.com/matchcentre/16914.php

Nobody cared then obviously.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 10:08:06 PM

I don't agree.

Back in 95 Leinster played in front of a crowd of 4k at Landsdowne Road in the Heinken Cup.

Except you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2016, 10:10:08 PM

I don't agree.

Except you

No one cares about Scottish football bomber! Even the famous Celtic couldn't fill Parkhead when the sectarian fun was missing for 3 or 4 years!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 14, 2016, 10:11:59 PM

I don't agree.

Except you

No one cares about Scottish football bomber! Even the famous Celtic couldn't fill Parkhead when the sectarian fun was missing for 3 or 4 years!

A team as opposed to a sport.

On a bad day Celtic Park is about 60% full. Imagine playing in the echelons of European club rugby (after you've amalgamated all the clubs on the island into four sides) and playing in a stadium where 3/4 of the stadium didn't even open.

Rugby had no following in Ireland and then overnight half the country were big rugby people who were blowing excessive money following the fortunes of the bottlers. I wonder how many of our Ulster rugby fans on here set foot inside Ravenhill before the mid 2000s?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 10:17:50 PM

I don't agree.

Except you

On a bad day Celtic Park is about 60% full. Imagine playing in the echelons of European club rugby (after you've amalgamated all the clubs on the island into four sides) and playing in a stadium where 3/4 of the stadium didn't even open.

Rugby had no following in Ireland and then overnight half the country were big rugby people who were blowing excessive money following the fortunes of the bottlers. I wonder how many of our Ulster rugby fans on here set foot inside Ravenhill before the mid 2000s?

It's a bit like when the junior and intermediate club teams go to Croke park on finals day... 10th of the capacity but for the players amazing.... nowadays it's nearly full houses so hey everyone come on well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2016, 11:14:29 PM

I don't agree.

Except you

It's a bit like when the junior and intermediate club teams go to Croke park on finals day... 10th of the capacity but for the players amazing.... nowadays it's nearly full houses so hey everyone come on well

But we agree that game had no mass appeal 15-20 years ago. Strange how there are all these ardent rugby lads here now saying that they were always into the game - that is out of shape with the pattern.

Milltown Row2

It's more attractive to go to these games now for a few reasons, facilities are better, better promotion better coverage some ownership... it's a night out lots of different things which make it a great spectacle... I've been to Ravenhill then Kingspan stadium and it's a great atmosphere to be honest, you bump into plenty GAA men that's for sure so it's got a broad appeal, something unfortunately the GAA up north doesn't have.

I don't think bandwagon is it, more of its become a better professional sport

Walter Cronc

I don't agree.

Except you

Set foot and played in it before the mid 00's. Imagine that a taig from South Derry being in Ravenhill pre bandwagon support!! So tell us why would someone from Tyrone support a Scottish side?? Have you got Scottish ancestory?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2016, 11:14:29 PM

I don't agree.

Except you

But we agree that game had no mass appeal 15-20 years ago. Strange how there are all these ardent rugby lads here now saying that they were always into the game - that is out of shape with the pattern.
Really?  The AIL was drawing some decent crowds back in the mid 90's from what I can remember.  A run of the mill league game between many of the top teams was regularly drawing well in excess of 10K.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 15, 2016, 07:50:34 AM

20+ years ago I think the appeal was all about the internationals, particularly the 5/6 nations.  Lansdowne Road always drew them in.  Club rugby was definitely a niche thing.   

The AIL certainly worked to changed that.  I worked in Athlone for a while in late 90s and Buccaneers games drew big crowds and generated a new level of interest.  Teams like Shannon, Cork Con etc.. had big followings too.

Professionalism needed a bigger outlet and creating professional clubs out of the provinces was a master stroke.  Compared to the made up franchises in Scotland and Wales, the IRFU inherited a ready-made identity out of the provinces.  (An identity which went well beyond traditional rugby base).  Hence you had the Munster thing, ready-made rivalries.   

There is no doubt either that this interest has increased playing numbers among young people.

/Jim.

DuffleKing

As an aside, as an Ulster man, I will never support the Ulster rugby team in its current guise. The selection processes, coaching, administration and governance is inherently sectarian and no serious attempt has been made to address this. Of course plenty of Catholics don't care and go to ravenhill for the spectacle but personally I wouldn't go near it until I see some fundamental change in culture from the top down.