The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on November 06, 2016, 09:04:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 08:36:38 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 06, 2016, 08:30:02 PM
Yeah they play in the high profile O'Fiaich Cup instead, ::)

That's a competition.

I wouldn't be getting worked up over winning one in any case.

It's about context and the rugby fellas are getting worked up about winning a friendly and becoming hypersensitive when this pointed out.

You did get quite excited when tyrone won by your criteria a niche competition this year, ie the ulster championship. There are only 9 teams in it and none of them had to qualify. Also only 3 or 4 of them really take it seriously so it didn't really mean all that much and wasn't worth getting excited about.

A competition, not a friendly. I think you'll find 8 of the counties in Ulster take it seriously - some of them just happen to not be very good.

screenexile

Lads stop feeding the troll please!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 09:07:48 PM

That's a competition.

It's about context and the rugby fellas are getting worked up about winning a friendly and becoming hypersensitive when this pointed out.

You did get quite excited when tyrone won by your criteria a niche competition this year, ie the ulster championship. There are only 9 teams in it and none of them had to qualify. Also only 3 or 4 of them really take it seriously so it didn't really mean all that much and wasn't worth getting excited about.

A competition, not a friendly. I think you'll find 8 of the counties in Ulster take it seriously - some of them just happen to not be very good.

Please take this on board: the criteria for what qualifies as success is set from within the sport.

Il Bomber Destro

Lads, stop comparing apples with oranges.

If you have any examples of friendly wins being blown out of proportion in other sports please put them up for comparison.

In the meantime:

Ireland has the seventh highest rugby playing population in the world yet has never made it past the last 8 in the sport.

Ireland also includes tag rugby players in their total playing numbers. LOLZ.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: thewobbler on November 06, 2016, 09:15:01 PM

That's a competition.

Please take this on board: the criteria for what qualifies as success is set from within the sport.

The criteria is quite a low base when it comes to rugby so.

thewobbler

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 09:19:56 PM

That's a competition.

As it is in every sport until success becomes commonplace.

When England finally won the Ashes in 2005 (I think that was the year) it genuinely was an historic occasion... but more importantly it set a new bar for English cricket.

When Europe won the Ryder Cup in 1982, it "changed golf forever".

Beating Derby County or Notts Forest while staying up used to be enough to make a Leicester City fan's season.

Watch what happens the next time Meath or Down wins a provincial title to see how teams realign their goals according to what is achievable.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: thewobbler on November 06, 2016, 09:41:23 PM

That's a competition.

When England finally won the Ashes in 2005 (I think that was the year) it genuinely was an historic occasion... but more importantly it set a new bar for English cricket.

Beating Derby County or Notts Forest while staying up used to be enough to make a Leicester City fan's season.

Watch what happens the next time Meath or Down wins a provincial title to see how teams realign their goals according to what is achievable.

Cricket is another commonwealth game.

Golf, a past time for pensioners and the affluent.

I find it hard to understand the hype that goes with the national side of a country (where rugby is about the fourth of fifth most popular played sport and the game itself has a limited gloabal reach) who continue to fail to meet expectations on the world scene - never won a knockout game.

The football side constantly are criticised and ridiculed for punching above their weight which is far and above the most popular sport across the globe. Yet football is far and away the most popular sport in the nation. It's bizarre but probably due to the fickle, glory chasing  streak of the Irish.

omaghjoe

This is gas stuff lads.... keep it up :D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

I never understood why people followed Tyrone before 2003. They never won anything. They got all excited in 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxeAr3n2Ous

The Stallion

While very few people here seem willing to, or capable of, accepting it, bomber makes a valid point that to the impartial observer the hysterical celebrations among many people to Ireland winning a friendly game seems a bit odd.

I've yet to read an explanation from anyone on here which makes me understand why this friendly result had been greeted with more joy than an actual World Cup victory.

seafoid

Mike Gibson: The flight home, and then the crowds at the airport when we arrived in London - even George Ace had flown over!
Paul Kimmage: (Laughs)
MG: He had been sent by the (Belfast) Newsletter to interview us. And then we had the late flight back home to Aldergrove . . . but in terms of significant games - and this again is an emotional thing - it's the first Test in '71 that stands out for me. We were leading 6-3 I think at half-time, and the BBC were taking a radio commentary on the second half. I remember standing in a huddle - and I shouldn't have been thinking of this - but it suddenly came over me, and it was an overwhelming thing that my parents . . .
(His voice breaks with emotion)
PK: They were going to be listening?
MG: Yes, in disbelief, because it just didn't happen. All my life, I had been brought up with that: you did not expect to beat New Zealand. It was a great feeling.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on November 06, 2016, 09:41:23 PM

That's a competition.

Will ya stop. Wins over shite teams like Italy and Scotland are treated like national events.

It's the equivalent of the Irish soccer team beating Georgia

foxcommander

Does anyone know what day/time the open bus parade down O'Connell street is going to be on for the team?
I'm hoping I won't miss this occasion to mark such a massive achievement in Irish sporting history.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Syferus

What tripe by the usual suspects.