The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

When did they invent the November test series?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 06, 2016, 05:27:18 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 05:01:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 06, 2016, 04:50:57 PM
November test Internationals, played every year. Southern Hemisphere teams play 3 tests against the Northern Hemisphere teams.

Northern hemisphere teams tour the Southern hemisphere during the summer. Pretty rare a team from the South is beaten on home soil

What competition is it?

Are you incapable of reading?

I'm capable of reading alright but that's not a competition.

Now what competition did the West British rugby team win a game in yesterday?

Your republican and the true Gael credentials have been boosted greatly by your valiant and patriotic use of the term 'West British rugby team'. Pearse would be proud, as 100 years after his death people still rail against the scoundrels he wrote about in Mise Éire by rubbishing the achievements of a 32 county sports team.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 06, 2016, 05:52:13 PM
November test Internationals, played every year. Southern Hemisphere teams play 3 tests against the Northern Hemisphere teams.

Northern hemisphere teams tour the Southern hemisphere during the summer. Pretty rare a team from the South is beaten on home soil

What competition is it?

Your republican and the true Gael credentials have been boosted greatly by your valiant and patriotic use of the term 'West British rugby team'. Pearse would be proud, as 100 years after his death people still rail against the scoundrels he wrote about in Mise Éire by rubbishing the achievements of a 32 county sports team.

I'm sure his heart would be filled with joy listening to a pub song written by the son of a peeler being used instead of the national anthem in a game played almost solely by ex commonwealth nations.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 05:57:57 PM

What competition is it?

I'm sure his heart would be filled with joy listening to a pub song written by the son of a peeler being used instead of the national anthem in a game played almost solely by ex commonwealth nations.

I hate that piece of rubbish myself but it's not a valid reason to completely rubbish the achievements of the team. The game clearly has importance, it's hardly a club pre-season challenge match on a wet February evening.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 06, 2016, 06:02:51 PM

What competition is it?

I hate that piece of rubbish myself but it's not a valid reason to completely rubbish the achievements of the team. The game clearly has importance, it's hardly a club pre-season challenge match on a wet February evening.

It's not far off.

It's only a match and nothing more which is why I can't understand the fuss over the result.

lenny

What competition is it?

It was a test match. That's the beauty of international rugby, every test match is an event in itself. It isn't so insecure that it needs to be a "competition". These matches have been going on for over 100 years so they have that historical context and everyone who is interested is aware of their importance. You have obviously chosen to ignore that context and haven't developed an interest and that's fair enough. Most Irish sports people were enthralled and exhilarated watching the game last night given that we had just beaten arguably the greatest sports team ever after 111 years of trying.

INDIANA

Quote from: lenny on November 06, 2016, 06:08:27 PM

What competition is it?

It was a test match. That's the beauty of international rugby, every test match is an event in itself. It isn't so insecure that it needs to be a "competition". These matches have been going on for over 100 years so they have that historical context and everyone who is interested is aware of their importance. You have obviously chosen to ignore that context and haven't developed an interest and that's fair enough. Most Irish sports people were enthralled and exhilarated watching the game last night given that we had just beaten arguably the greatest sports team ever after 111 years of trying.

Happy we won but the point above is correct. it's a friendly. Ireland won't NZ in the Wc when it counts

Il Bomber Destro

What competition is it?

An irrelevant answer to the question put forward.

What competition was it in? There seems to be an opposition to call the game for the non-competitive event that it was.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 06:13:56 PM

What competition is it?

What competition was it in? There seems to be an opposition to call the game for the non-competitive event that it was.

That's a completely irrelevant response to my perfectly relevant answer.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on November 06, 2016, 06:18:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 06:13:56 PM

What competition is it?

That's a completely irrelevant response to my perfectly relevant answer.

Your answer is irrelevant as I enquired about what competition it was part of and you responded with a meandering waffle about some non-competition without addressing the question?

What competition was it in or was it in fact a non-competitive game?

square_ball

I have to laugh at these ones that don't like rugby (which they have every right it's not everyone's cup of tea) are the ones getting most annoyed at this victory. If you don't like something just don't pass any remarks on it instead of getting a wee kick in your life by winding people up on a discussion forum. But whatever floats your boat I guess. . .

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2016, 06:27:24 PM
I have to laugh at these ones that don't like rugby (which they have every right it's not everyone's cup of tea) are the ones getting most annoyed at this victory. If you don't like something just don't pass any remarks on it instead of getting a wee kick in your life by winding people up on a discussion forum. But whatever floats your boat I guess. . .

I find it odd that people are celebrating winning a non-competitive game like they have won the World Cup. I have to laugh at these people who treat the result as some sort of seismic moment in their sport, maybe it's telling of what matters in a niche game. A proper sport would not have an eyelid batted at such a trivial matter.

JoG2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 06:06:05 PM

What competition is it?

It's not far off.

It's only a match and nothing more which is why I can't understand the fuss over the result.

Ach dry your eyes ffs. Ask the wife / husband / partner for a bit of attention and stay clear of a thread you've no interest in.  Job done

square_ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: square_ball on November 06, 2016, 06:27:24 PM

I find it odd that people are celebrating winning a non-competitive game like they have won the World Cup. I have to laugh at these people who treat the result as some sort of seismic moment in their sport, maybe it's telling of what matters in a niche game. A proper sport would not have an eyelid batted at such a trivial matter.

Why you getting so wound up about it for? You seem awfully annoyed at a sport you don't like. I don't like cricket or hurling or golf so I don't really pay that much remarks on what's happening in those sports.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JoG2 on November 06, 2016, 06:35:44 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 06:06:05 PM

What competition is it?

It's not far off.

Ach dry your eyes ffs. Ask the wife / husband / partner for a bit of attention and stay clear of a thread you've no interest in.  Job done

I'm just pointing out a few truths.

More in line for certain posters to take these points on board rather than being hypersensitive over someone dealing with the realities.