The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

What competition was this in, lads?

Boycey

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 06, 2016, 11:54:48 AM
i came on to see a bunch of happy posts from our Rugby folk to cheer up this sunday hangover, i will quietly leave the room. There is some shocking stuff on here nowadays

It's wouldn't be fair now if the pettiness was confined to the GAA and soccer threads would it?

The Stallion

At the risk of being wrongly accused of trolling, I just don't understand why this friendly victory is being hailed as the best Irish rugby result ever in some quarters.

It's nice that they've finally beaten New Zealand, but the scenes which have greeted a friendly victory over a team with bigger fish to fry have been frankly baffling. I didn't see this sort of reaction when Ireland won a game at the World Cup, which to me is a much more significant acheivement.

Again, not trolling, just bewildered by the reactions in some quarters. Well done to the Irish players on winning a friendly and beating New Zealand for the first time.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on November 06, 2016, 12:10:08 PM
At the risk of being wrongly accused of trolling, I just don't understand why this friendly victory is being hailed as the best Irish rugby result ever in some quarters.

It's nice that they've finally beaten New Zealand, but the scenes which have greeted a friendly victory over a team with bigger fish to fry have been frankly baffling. I didn't see this sort of reaction when Ireland won a game at the World Cup, which to me is a much more significant acheivement.

Again, not trolling, just bewildered by the reactions in some quarters. Well done to the Irish players on winning a friendly and beating New Zealand for the first time.

Possibly because Ireland have never won a knockout game in a World Cup despite the fact only 8 countries take it seriously. They are the only country out of the 8 countries to take it seriously who have never won a knockout game in the World Cup.

Ergo, Irish rugby is shit so it doesn't take a lot for it to be great.

manfromdelmonte

How many imports on that Ireland team?

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 11:56:46 AM

Okay we get it, rugby isn't your thing. Just let the rest of us enjoy an incredible, historic victory for an Irish side. It was a test match which means it meant a lot to both teams. Other sports don't have an equivalent type of contest apart from maybe cricket. The adminiration of the Irish performance from the British press and the press down under shows the quality and level of performance delivered. For an Irish side to beat arguably the greatest side ever in any sport makes me feel really proud and should make everyone feel proud and elated.

Dougal Maguire

I'm at a loss to understand what motivates these begrudgers and what satisfaction they get from posting what they do. It's akin to the wicked witch coming to the wedding to tell the bride and groom they shouldn't be happy because in 50 years time they'll be dead
Careful now

seafoid

Matt Williams ‏@MattRCNM  11 h

Ding dong the witch is dead! About time Ireland beat NZ.Dont write a play about it.Just keep beating NZ.Wonderful Irish performance

seafoid

What competition was it?
Matt Williams ‏@MattRCNM  22 oct.
NZ are simply brilliant. They do the simple things perfectly. They can put on 20 points in the last 10 min.

Wildweasel74

Friendly or not as some say, or NZ missing certain big players, its important as we had done it before, and this team depleted or not, has just made the record for 18 straight wins.

foxcommander

Not that I pay much attention to the sport but congratulations to Ireland on beating New Zealand and winning the rugby world cup.
I didn't even know it was on.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

rodney trotter

Test Rugby is a bit more serious then a standard International soccer friendly. New Zealand were unbeaten in 2016 ,and pissed off with their performance.

PW Nally

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 06, 2016, 01:49:58 PM
Test Rugby is a bit more serious then a standard International soccer friendly. New Zealand were unbeaten in 2016 ,and pissed off with their performance.
Congrats to Ireland on breaking their duck.

In all seriousness, can you explain to me the difference between a friendly soccer international and a test international?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on November 06, 2016, 12:54:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 06, 2016, 11:56:46 AM

Okay we get it, rugby isn't your thing. Just let the rest of us enjoy an incredible, historic victory for an Irish side. It was a test match which means it meant a lot to both teams. Other sports don't have an equivalent type of contest apart from maybe cricket. The adminiration of the Irish performance from the British press and the press down under shows the quality and level of performance delivered. For an Irish side to beat arguably the greatest side ever in any sport makes me feel really proud and should make everyone feel proud and elated.

That's fine and well but it doesn't answer my question.

What competition was this game in?