The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 05, 2016, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 05, 2016, 11:26:18 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 05, 2016, 11:04:01 PM
Conor Murray's tackle on Savea at the death said it all - to be focused enough to be there and win the scrum - super.
And the captain of the team that slayed the All Blacks coming from Poyntzpass - there is something class about that.
O'Driscoll, O'Connell, O'Gara, all said Best was the natural choice to take on the captaincy. He must be a great leader of men.
There is something very special about the whole island contributing and nobody making a song and dance about it .And the output being top notch.

I could write an essay on it, but you hit the nail on the head in two sentences. GRMA.
TFR

It is a sign of what is possible

gawa316

Quote from: Main Street on November 05, 2016, 11:17:59 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 05, 2016, 11:08:22 PM
So I've seen feck all rugby since I moved to the states.

Does this result have any significance on what lies ahead for us? Are we on a crest with serious talent coming through or is it just a one off?
Yes, beating the all blacks after a  brilliant performance has absolutely no future significance, so much so  that we cannot enjoy the historical moment, because the historical moment has no significance by itself ::)

So there's no chance it is a one off? Ye know when an underdog pulls off a shock result

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on November 06, 2016, 12:17:07 AM

Does this result have any significance on what lies ahead for us? Are we on a crest with serious talent coming through or is it just a one off?
Yes, beating the all blacks after a  brilliant performance has absolutely no future significance, so much so  that we cannot enjoy the historical moment, because the historical moment has no significance by itself ::)

So there's no chance it is a one off? Ye know when an underdog pulls off a shock result
Ignore him. There is every chance it was an anomaly against a poor All Blacks side. Hopefully not.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 06, 2016, 12:25:14 AM

Ignore him. There is every chance it was an anomaly against a poor All Blacks side. Hopefully not.

Jesus the victory is only a few hours old lads could we nit wait a day at least until we pour cold water on it??

There is a chance its a one off but it shows that in a one off match we can compete/beat the best in the world. The squad has more depth than ever now and when that last defeat was always in the back of the mind it's gone and what's left is the fact they all pulled off an historic win.

Henderson, O'Brien, O'Mahony all to come in as well somewhere hopefully its the start of something rather than the end!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2016, 10:21:17 PM
For guys who take a lot of stick, I thought both Zebo and Trimble were absolutely outstanding. Zebo's catch was one of the best I've ever seen on a rugby pitch.

One of the best I've seen on any pitch to be honest. It was ridiculous.

seafoid

The next match is interesting in terms of the power dynamics

I hope it's not like Galway /Kilkenny just before the 4 in a row

The audacious win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBVeaqxKy4
The Empire strikes back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDKa66XBAuw

Depends how NZ see it. Are they as vindictive as Cody ? They might also think World Cup is different. What was that phrase? Grace under pressure.

They also have the power over Wales
Since the last loss (19 December 1953) New Zealand have won 25[1] encounters and Wales winning 0.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2016, 12:47:35 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 06, 2016, 12:25:14 AM

Jesus the victory is only a few hours old lads could we nit wait a day at least until we pour cold water on it??

There is a chance its a one off but it shows that in a one off match we can compete/beat the best in the world. The squad has more depth than ever now and when that last defeat was always in the back of the mind it's gone and what's left is the fact they all pulled off an historic win.

Henderson, O'Brien, O'Mahony all to come in as well somewhere hopefully its the start of something rather than the end!

Talking about cynical? Can you not just enjoy a win?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/nov/06/steve-hansen-praises-ireland-efforts-first-win-all-blacks

"They certainly learned how to close it," Hansen said. "And when we had to put Ardie on the wing I thought they played really smart: they went into his zone. It was smart play by them, and credit to them for that.
"People will say 'Oh, you were missing two locks,' but we haven't got any excuses. We were just beaten by a better side on the day. That happens when you play good sides. And we've been saying for quite some time they're a good team."

The day had started for Ireland with a unique set-up to face the haka. The Ireland players formed a figure eight to remember Munster's Anthony Foley, who died last month.
"It was the national team's first time together since his passing, so we felt that it was the right thing to do," Best said.
"And then to put the Munster boys at the front of that figure eight – that just felt like the right thing as well. It was our way as an Irish national team to show a mark of respect to Axel and his family."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJUh8DjNhw

gallsman

For f**k sake, he specifically stated that he hasn't seen much rugby recently and queried where it came from, i.e. have we unearthed new talent or have we seen a significant upturn in our level of performance or was it likely to be a one off magnificent moment. A perfectly legitimate question ffs. Nobody's pouring cold water on or downplaying anything.

Bord na Mona man

Pity we didn't have Indiana here in the build up lecturing us about how Ireland were light years behind the Southern Hemisphere and predicting the mother and father of all beatings

gallsman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 06, 2016, 09:34:37 AM
Pity we didn't have Indiana here in the build up lecturing us about how Ireland were light years behind the Southern Hemisphere and predicting the mother and father of all beatings

In fairness, most of the conventional wisdom pointed to that beating.

Anyone know if the match is being repeated on "normal" TV anytime soon? The da didn't get to see it and wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing so.

Jim Bob

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2016, 08:17:42 AM
For f**k sake, he specifically stated that he hasn't seen much rugby recently and queried where it came from, i.e. have we unearthed new talent or have we seen a significant upturn in our level of performance or was it likely to be a one off magnificent moment. A perfectly legitimate question ffs. Nobody's pouring hold water on or downplaying anything.
I too was surprised at the reaction to his post, which, unlike The Stallion's, seemed pretty reasonable to me.
Careful now

Minder

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2016, 10:48:50 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2016, 08:17:42 AM
For f**k sake, he specifically stated that he hasn't seen much rugby recently and queried where it came from, i.e. have we unearthed new talent or have we seen a significant upturn in our level of performance or was it likely to be a one off magnificent moment. A perfectly legitimate question ffs. Nobody's pouring hold water on or downplaying anything.
I too was surprised at the reaction to his post, which, unlike The Stallion's, seemed pretty reasonable to me.

In fairness to Main Street he is consistent and goes out of his way to be awkward.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RealSpiritof98

i came on to see a bunch of happy posts from our Rugby folk to cheer up this sunday hangover, i will quietly leave the room. There is some shocking stuff on here nowadays