The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Both Kearneys out is a blessing

Anyone suggesting Jackson is better than Sexton knows nothing about rugby

Steenson would have been more deserving of a call up than Madigan (not that Madigan has done anything wrong, but Steenson has been playing consistently at a higher level)

Walter Cronc

Where has anyone stated that PJ is better than Sexton?? Even us Ulster fans know he's not. However Paddy has improved greatly and is the form 10 in the country (despite Sexton dominating the semi final).

As for Steenson I've been to a number of Chiefs games and whilst being a very good club player he is not international standard and at his age wouldn't be seen as a long term investment.

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on June 03, 2016, 12:42:24 AM

Steenson would have been more deserving of a call up than Madigan (not that Madigan has done anything wrong, but Steenson has been playing consistently at a higher level)

I didn't say he's a better player than Sexton I said he has been the form Fly Half in Irish Rugby this year which he has been. Sexton has not had a great season by any accounts. Both at their best there is no question that Sexon is a better player but Jackson's form has been better.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ian-madigan-called-up-as-johnny-sexton-and-rob-kearney-ruled-out-1.2670600

The list of injured absentees is extensive: Rob Kearney, Dave Kearney, Simon Zebo, Tommy Bowe, Luke Fitzgerald, Jonathan Sexton, Cian Healy, Mike McCarthy, Dan Tuohy, Seán O'Brien, Josh van der Flier and Peter O'Mahony.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/irfu-move-to-secure-bundee-aki-as-foreign-clubs-hover-1.2674799

Bundee Aki met with Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt last week. With lucrative offers from French and English clubs potentially enticing the Pro12 player of the season away from Connacht, the IRFU have seemingly, albeit informally, begun the process of securing Aki on a long-term national contract.
The 26-year-old centre's current deal ends in July 2017. He qualifies to play for Ireland, via the three-year residency rule, in October 2017
Either way, the next contract would make Aki one of the highest earners in Irish rugby, alongside Jamie Heaslip and Johnny Sexton

Regarding the addition of a more experienced, and possibly foreign, coach to the Leinster ranks, Nucifora stated: "I've said before that coaching is paramount. To get our coaching right to maximise the talent we have at our disposal in the playing ranks is huge. We've worked with all the provinces to put all the structures in place and we've got three very experienced coaches in Munster, Ulster and Connacht.

"Leo [Cullen] looks like he stands out because of his inexperience but we've worked with Leinster in putting Leo into the position. He's there now and we think he's going to be a really valuable resource to Irish rugby as a coach for years to come.
"If Leo requires any assistance over time he knows he's only got to ask and we'll be there to help and give him that assistance. He's doing a good job. It's not easy coming into a head coaching position with such little experience because he is learning on the go and that can be tricky at times.
"He is developing and is going to develop into a really important asset for Irish rugby as a coach. Does he need help along the way? Possibly, but that's up to Leinster and Leo to ask for that if they think that's required.
"They have still got a talented coaching group. They might not be experienced but they're talented."

Walter Cronc

Superb win for the u20s against Wales in the first game of the u20 World Cup. The Welsh (2016 6 nations grand slam champions) went 17-3 up for Ireland to come back and win 26-25. Next up is the baby blacks.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 07, 2016, 11:00:55 PM
Superb win for the u20s against Wales in the first game of the u20 World Cup. The Welsh (2016 6 nations grand slam champions) went 17-3 up for Ireland to come back and win 26-25. Next up is the baby blacks.

Great game. Jeez the under 20's are now all beasts compared to just a few years ago!!

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-wales-u20-world-highlights-2810845-Jun2016/

AZOffaly

How could that be, I wonder?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: theticklemister on June 02, 2016, 07:21:02 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 01, 2016, 07:14:59 PM
The u20 world cup starts next Tuesday and all the fixtures are taking place in Manchester. Ireland will be training at the Rugby facility where my GAA club are based so will get down and watch them train. Do Ireland have a chance of winning?

Don't you signing up any of those players now Maroon Manc! I know your squad inside out!!!!   

Didnt make the 7s  comp u had last week as I have been away.

A great result for them last night, turned over when they were 17-3 down; Played very different rugby compared to the 1st team.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Longshanks

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2016, 10:00:28 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 03, 2016, 12:42:24 AM

I didn't say he's a better player than Sexton I said he has been the form Fly Half in Irish Rugby this year which he has been. Sexton has not had a great season by any accounts. Both at their best there is no question that Sexon is a better player but Jackson's form has been better.

Totally agree, far too many players getting picked on past exploits in my opinion and not their form, generally the only reason younger players are getting a chance is because of injuries etc.. I think this is the fault of schimdt and other countries seem to be able to blood younger players easier or more often.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 08:14:41 AM
A combination of diet and strength and conditioning training. What other means is available?  ;)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2016, 01:55:33 PM
A combination of diet and strength and conditioning training. What other means is available?  ;)

Same as the modern day inter county footballer then. Or maybe the Kerry lads just have bigger legs.

LeoMc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 08, 2016, 01:56:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2016, 01:55:33 PM

Same as the modern day inter county footballer then. Or maybe the Kerry lads just have bigger legs.
They have longer arms too according to Physio / photoshop experts.

Walter Cronc

Ireland (v South Africa): Jared Payne (Ulster), Andrew Trimble (Ulster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Keith Earls (Munster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Conor Murray (Munster); Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Jordi Murphy (Leinster), CJ Stander (Munster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rory Best (Ulster, captain), Jack McGrath (Leinster)

Replacements: Sean Cronin (Leinster), Finlay Bealham (Connacht), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Ultan Dillane (Connacht), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Kieran Marmion (Connacht), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Craig Gilroy (Ulster)

Jaysus Murphy at 7!!! :-/

Would O'Halloran not have been a smarter pick as utility back ahead of Gilroy!