The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2016, 10:00:24 AM
I know it's very simplistic to say, and please don't think I am equating the two, but is Connacht's approach a more 'southern hemisphere' type of game, particularly a more All Black type of game. They seem to be a smaller, lither bunch, who want to avoid contact when on the ball, and basically keep it moving away from tackles as quickly as possible, as opposed to the northern hemisphere type of game that looks for the first up tackler and tries to smash him and draw people into rucks through recycling and going through phases?

I wonder if they are part of a vanguard of where rugby might head to, which might be a healthier game for participants and also a better spectacle.

The commentator on Sky Sports made a good point, articulating what I was thinking as I was watching them. They don't seem too bothered about the infamous 'gain line', they just wanted to keep the ball alive. So there were passes back 15 yards almost vertical, rather than taking a tackle and forming a ruck. It was almost sevensy at times.

Its certainly high risk stuff from Connacht but it has paid off big time! I think Gregor Townsend alluded to the fact they have coughed up the most turnovers in this years Pro 12. Whereas some coaches would be sacked for that they adopt the Super Rugby approach of keeping everything alive.

It'll be interesting to see who plays 13 next year. Will O'Halloran move inside with Kelleher at full back? Or vice versa.

Does O'Halloran have the ability to be Ireland's next full back??

AZOffaly

Coughed up the most turnovers and had (I think) the least 'phases'.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2016, 12:12:26 PM
The draw hasnt been made for the Champions Cup but they could draw the big boys of Saracens, Leicester, Wasps etc.

Connacht will actually be amongst the top seeds in Europe next season so they can't draw Saracens anyway. Whatever about the other two.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 01, 2016, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2016, 10:00:24 AM
I know it's very simplistic to say, and please don't think I am equating the two, but is Connacht's approach a more 'southern hemisphere' type of game, particularly a more All Black type of game. They seem to be a smaller, lither bunch, who want to avoid contact when on the ball, and basically keep it moving away from tackles as quickly as possible, as opposed to the northern hemisphere type of game that looks for the first up tackler and tries to smash him and draw people into rucks through recycling and going through phases?

I wonder if they are part of a vanguard of where rugby might head to, which might be a healthier game for participants and also a better spectacle.

The commentator on Sky Sports made a good point, articulating what I was thinking as I was watching them. They don't seem too bothered about the infamous 'gain line', they just wanted to keep the ball alive. So there were passes back 15 yards almost vertical, rather than taking a tackle and forming a ruck. It was almost sevensy at times.

Its certainly high risk stuff from Connacht but it has paid off big time! I think Gregor Townsend alluded to the fact they have coughed up the most turnovers in this years Pro 12. Whereas some coaches would be sacked for that they adopt the Super Rugby approach of keeping everything alive.

It'll be interesting to see who plays 13 next year. Will O'Halloran move inside with Kelleher at full back? Or vice versa.

Does O'Halloran have the ability to be Ireland's next full back??

Think TOH will stay at 15. Kelleher will probably be his back-up but Kelleher can play wing as well so will probably get some decent game time filling in across the back three.

Not sure what Connacht plan to do at 13. Eoin Griffin is coming back from England so he'll get some games. Be interesting to see if they target a 13 somewhere or just go with what they already have.

Maroon Manc

The u20 world cup starts next Tuesday and all the fixtures are taking place in Manchester. Ireland will be training at the Rugby facility where my GAA club are based so will get down and watch them train. Do Ireland have a chance of winning?

muppet

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 01, 2016, 07:14:59 PM
The u20 world cup starts next Tuesday and all the fixtures are taking place in Manchester. Ireland will be training at the Rugby facility where my GAA club are based so will get down and watch them train. Do Ireland have a chance of winning?

NZ 5
England 2
SA 1

Ireland a 4th, a 5th, 7th or worse for the rest.

Probably get good odds if you fancy it.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 01, 2016, 07:14:59 PM

Don't you signing up any of those players now Maroon Manc! I know your squad inside out!!!!   

Didnt make the 7s  comp u had last week as I have been away.

Walter Cronc

Sexton out of the tour to SA by all accounts.

Time for wee Paddy to step up!

Walter Cronc

http://www.the42.ie/david-nucifora-irfu-talent-id-irfu-2800123-Jun2016/

Positive step from the IRFU here. Think the introduction of 7s rugby in the 'non-traditional' rugby playing schools is a great idea!

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 02, 2016, 09:36:18 AM

Sexton needs a break badly. It might do him the world of good. And it gives the rest a chance to step up.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on June 02, 2016, 10:25:02 AM

Sexton needs a break badly. It might do him the world of good. And it gives the rest a chance to step up.

Jackson is the form Fly Half in Ireland at present anyway!!!

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on June 02, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 02, 2016, 10:25:02 AM

Jackson is the form Fly Half in Ireland at present anyway!!!

Were they afraid of missing their flight home if Sexton took all the spot kicks?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Walter Cronc

Sexton, Fitzgerald and both Kearneys out of the SA tour. Madigan, Gilroy, O'Halloran and Matt Healy have came in.

You don't like seeing players injured but this could prove to be a good thing in terms of squad development! O'Halloran to play FB against the Boks??

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 02, 2016, 01:53:56 PM
Sexton, Fitzgerald and both Kearneys out of the SA tour. Madigan, Gilroy, O'Halloran and Matt Healy have came in.

You don't like seeing players injured but this could prove to be a good thing in terms of squad development! O'Halloran to play FB against the Boks??

Maybe but I would doubt it. I would say the best he or Healy could hope for would be a place on the bench as far as Joe is concerned!!Gilroy and Marshall are probably ahead of them for the scramble for the bench!!
If I had to guess , I think the back line for the first test will be Murray , Jackson or Madigan , Trimble , Olding , Payne , Earls , Henshaw.

whitegoodman

Id guess at

Murray
Jackson
Earls
Henshaw
Marshall
Trimble
Payne

Payne has been the best full back in Ireland this year when playing there for Ulster and don't think Olding will start.