The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hound on May 30, 2016, 08:08:04 AM
Although the oddest selection of all for Ireland is probably Quin Roux, who can't even make the bench for Connacht!

Not when you remember it was Joe that brought him to Ireland.

/Jim.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 30, 2016, 05:20:07 PM
Any likelihood this will spur Connacht towards getting a decent ground presuming attendances will rise?
It seems the preference is to develop the sportsground to a capacity of somewhere between 12 - 15k which would be plenty big IMO, anything bigger would not make sense. 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 30, 2016, 09:48:22 PM
Any likelihood this will spur Connacht towards getting a decent ground presuming attendances will rise?
It seems the preference is to develop the sportsground to a capacity of somewhere between 12 - 15k which would be plenty big IMO, anything bigger would not make sense.

Great pics, they have talked about a capacity of 10K which is very appropriate and when tickets do become scarce for the few games they will sell out, it helps create a buzz and an excitement and will help with season ticket sales. Connacht technically still lose money but it's a model that is working for them and Irish Rugby and they are working very hard off the pitch as well as on it. I actually know a young lad who turned down Leinster 20s in favour of Connacht as he feels he will get better opportunities out west. Sean O'Brien is the example, I thought he was fantastic in the 2nd half, if was in the Leinster Academy, he'd be just about 1st or 2nd year, playing with Lansdowne or Clontarf and just not progressing at the same rate and probably with a lower skill level.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Connacht would definitely be better with a stadium of 10-12k with the ability to increase to say 15k for big games.

Its looking like Matt Healy will be called up for the injured Fitzgerald. Though with JS I wouldnt be surprised to see O'Halloran in. Really like O'Halloran. Good in the air, a real footballer and plenty of pace.

oakleafgael

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 30, 2016, 09:48:22 PM

The fact that they don't own the Sportsground and aren't the best of tenants could lead to problems although their landlords can't survive without the rent so they may have some leverage.

Maroon Manc

How long is Lam contracted to Connacht for?

I don't know a great deal about Rugby but what an achievement it was for Connacht especially considering their style of play.

I assume Connacht have qualified for the European Cup and what English clubs could they potentially draw?

Walter Cronc

No idea on his deal at Connacht but the IRFU would need to get him tied down with the possibility of replacing Schmidt post RWC 2019.

The draw hasnt been made for the Champions Cup but they could draw the big boys of Saracens, Leicester, Wasps etc.

The power of Ultan Dillane is unreal. He is hungry for the hit. Love that in a forward. I think this lad has the potential to be world class!!

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2016, 10:17:34 AM
Connacht would definitely be better with a stadium of 10-12k with the ability to increase to say 15k for big games.

Its looking like Matt Healy will be called up for the injured Fitzgerald. Though with JS I wouldnt be surprised to see O'Halloran in. Really like O'Halloran. Good in the air, a real footballer and plenty of pace.
The gaa   should sell them pearse stadium

JS had an interesting comment tyesterday. You can't teach players new skills in 10 days on international duty.
The Connacht players have a different skill set to the leinster crowd

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2016, 12:12:26 PM
No idea on his deal at Connacht but the IRFU would need to get him tied down with the possibility of replacing Schmidt post RWC 2019.

The draw hasnt been made for the Champions Cup but they could draw the big boys of Saracens, Leicester, Wasps etc.

The power of Ultan Dillane is unreal. He is hungry for the hit. Love that in a forward. I think this lad has the potential to be world class!!

Himself and Henderson will be some unit. For all of the trumpeting of England's new 4 & 5 I think our two could be even better.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Quote from: muppet on May 31, 2016, 01:33:16 PM

Himself and Henderson will be some unit. For all of the trumpeting of England's new 4 & 5 I think our two could be even better.

My thoughts exactly. I've seen Itoje a few times (inc live) and he is a serious talent but Dillane is better in open play imo.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 12:15:56 PM
JS had an interesting comment tyesterday. You can't teach players new skills in 10 days on international duty.

Plus we have Joe saying you can't try out new lads against South Africa.  Autumn tour we have All-Blacks so can't take chances there.  Come the spring we are back to 6 nations. Ireland haven't a lot of these one so we can't afford to experiment there.  Then we are well into "World Cup Cycle" and can't be choppin' and changin'......

We seem to have create a noose that makes it hard to break into the squad.

Also Pat Lam seems to want to continue  his work in Connacht so he hardly wants Joe teaching his back three how to chase and catch Garryowens and go to ground as quick as possible.

/Jim.

Dinny Breen

It took Connacht 3 years week in week out to get to their current level. JS plays a very system orientated playbook in defence and attack, it's low based percentages. Connacht had the highest turn-over rate in the Pro12 - that would dismay JS.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2016, 03:18:34 PM

It took Connacht 3 years week in week out to get to their current level. JS plays a very system orientated playbook in defence and attack, it's low based percentages. Connacht had the highest turn-over rate in the Pro12 - that would dismay JS.
JS teams don't score many international tries
He is going to have to change tactics anyway cos England moved things on this year

AZOffaly

I know it's very simplistic to say, and please don't think I am equating the two, but is Connacht's approach a more 'southern hemisphere' type of game, particularly a more All Black type of game. They seem to be a smaller, lither bunch, who want to avoid contact when on the ball, and basically keep it moving away from tackles as quickly as possible, as opposed to the northern hemisphere type of game that looks for the first up tackler and tries to smash him and draw people into rucks through recycling and going through phases?

I wonder if they are part of a vanguard of where rugby might head to, which might be a healthier game for participants and also a better spectacle.

The commentator on Sky Sports made a good point, articulating what I was thinking as I was watching them. They don't seem too bothered about the infamous 'gain line', they just wanted to keep the ball alive. So there were passes back 15 yards almost vertical, rather than taking a tackle and forming a ruck. It was almost sevensy at times.

Hound

As Pro 12 Champions, Connacht will be one of the top seeds for the Champions Cup, so they'll avoid Saracens and whoever wins out in France. 

I thought Muldowney was even better than Dillane in the final. But Dillane and Henderson is a partnership to look forward to alright. Speculation that Henderson will be employed at 6 for the Boks first test.