The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

How Ireland have defended all of that I don't know.

It would be great if we stole a try before halftime.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:31:36 PM

Good defence but some shoddy play from England. Could get nailed in the second half if this keeps up.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 27, 2016, 05:33:51 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 05:31:36 PM

Good defence but some shoddy play from England. Could get nailed in the second half if this keeps up.

Feck it if someone had tracked Henshaw that time, or if Heaslip knew how to kick.

But we are definitely just hanging on. Murray is something else for us, but Vunipola is probably MOM of the first half.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Roid rage from Heskill the big donkey.

muppet

God its like watching the Fianna Fáil resurgence.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Dillane & McCloskey are keepers I think. Van Der Flier maybe.

Best might have to be relieved of the captaincy otherwise he could lose his place. Line outs inside their 22 were poor. Back up front row was well beaten which isn't much use. What happens when Mike Ross goes?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Hard to argue with the result. England played with intent from the start.

CiKe

Thought fresh legs earlier might have been called for given the efforts in the first half

Bord na Mona man

Decent effort from a somewhat under powered Irish team. The differences were actually more glaring in the first half. The ease at which England could make yards bashing up the middle or running it wide. When Ireland tried to run it, there was rarely much gain. Ireland didn't help themselves though when too often the first or second receiver was someone like Devin Toner which always guarantees you minus metres gained between rucks.
In the second half you could see the greater emphasis on getting it into the hands of Stander and McCloskey earlier in a play.

The English tries were inevitable, but it was admirable the way Ireland came back and had a cut. What England gain in picking tanks, they lose in aerobic ability and towards the end their back rowers couldn't keep up with the breakdowns. Maybe if Ireland had kicked to the corners from the beginning and made England use their metres deeper in their half...

I'm not convinced Mike Brown deliberately shoed Murray in the face. In slow motion it looks poor. In real time it looks like frantic hacking at the ball. When players are desperately trying to prevent a try, however illegally, I don't think dirty play is their primary concern. Mike Brown would be one of my least favourite England players for a host of other reasons.

square_ball

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 06:51:12 PM
Dillane & McCloskey are keepers I think. Van Der Flier maybe.

Best might have to be relieved of the captaincy otherwise he could lose his place. Line outs inside their 22 were poor. Back up front row was well beaten which isn't much use. What happens when Mike Ross goes?

Interesting one with Best I thought his throwing was ok but with the ones we lost his throws seemed to be on the money but seemed to be with the jumpers where we were beaten. Crooked throws, overthrows is down to the hooker but a few appeared to be a lifting/jumping problem. I guess he inherited a poisoned chalice after POC. He is fantastic around the park too. (Ps this isn't Simon Best posting!!)

If we can blood a few from this 6 nations I think it will have been a partial success. Kearneys best days are behind him I'm afraid, Trimble is a shadow of himself from 2 years ago. The fact Nathan White is our 2nd choice prop at the minute speaks volumes. No point complaining about injuries because they are the norm these days and do any teams play with a first choice 15 these days?

Wildweasel74

England haven't changed from 20yrs ago, still same ole bosh bosh bash bash with limited skill. Compare their back row players to the New Zealand back row of Kaino, Read and formerly McCaw not as physical big as England but faster fitter and fabulous ball skills, Brutality will only take you so far in Rugby

Declan

What do we think about the doctors call for tackling to be banned in underage rugby?
http://www.bbc.com/news/education-35696238

Makes sense objectively but if they are not taught how to tackle properly is it not more risky as they get older and continue to play?