The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 15, 2016, 06:14:08 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 15, 2016, 05:14:27 PM
It's harsh because you are telling Connacht that you will never better yourself and to get used to it. It may be a fair assessment of the reality of the situation, but I can't believe how you could not see that to be harsh.

No am I telling Connacht that their player where the fans ire should directed not the IRFU has chosen to go to another club because a) he will gain financially from it and b) he has more chance of success. That is the nature of professional sport a
the nature of pro rugby is that you have more chance of brain damage

deiseach

Putting aside hair-splitting over words, Dinny's invocation of Bruce Hornsby when it comes to Irish rugby is both right and wrong. Right, because that's just the way it is. Wrong, because it's messed up that Irish rugby should have to look for the crumbs that fall from the English and French tables and be made to feel grateful for it. It's hard to have too much sympathy for the IRFU though. In 1999 they faced down the English when it came to the rights for the Five Nations. I remember being dead impressed by an IRFU old fart who reacted to being told the opinion of an RFU old fart, that Ireland somehow owed England for turning up in 1973 after our Celtic brethren had failed to do so in 1972, by thundering that it was England's DUTY to fulfill that fixture. The IRFU realised in 1999 that the big boys needed to someone to play against if they were to prosper. Six years later though they were happy to take Sky's filthy lucre. It may have seemed smart at the time, but when the English and French clubs made their deal with BT there was no room to appeal to DUTY. As Bruce Hornsby didn't say, you're going to reap just what you sow...

seafoid

It's harsh because you are telling Connacht that you will never better yourself and to get used to it. It may be a fair assessment of the reality of the situation, but I can't believe how you could not see that to be harsh.

No am I telling Connacht that their player where the fans ire should directed not the IRFU has chosen to go to another club because a) he will gain financially from it and b) he has more chance of success. That is the nature of professional sport, why did Sterling leave Liverpool?

Connacht are on a upward curve and maybe someday when they are financially viable they might be able to retain their best players, Leinster have loaned Gilsenan, Cooney and Roux this season, if Connacht didn't want to lose Henshaw to Leinster, should they be taking players on loan from Leinster, perhaps the Connacht management need to be asked their views?

The romantic wants to see Henshaw stay I appreciate that, but same in most professional sports outside a wages cap, money talks money wins. For a young man it's the right decision.

And for the record I hope Connacht win the Pro12, I am not a Leinster fan and I am just a rugby fan that sees it differently that all you romantic feckers.
It must be funny putting on the rugby hat, Dinny. The GAA power structures no longer apply so Connacht becomes the diol trua. In the GAA being from Kildare even though it is in Leinster is much more painful. Funny old sporting world...money and not

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 10:14:10 AM

No am I telling Connacht that their player where the fans ire should directed not the IRFU has chosen to go to another club because a) he will gain financially from it and b) he has more chance of success. That is the nature of professional sport, why did Sterling leave Liverpool?

Connacht are on a upward curve and maybe someday when they are financially viable they might be able to retain their best players, Leinster have loaned Gilsenan, Cooney and Roux this season, if Connacht didn't want to lose Henshaw to Leinster, should they be taking players on loan from Leinster, perhaps the Connacht management need to be asked their views?

The romantic wants to see Henshaw stay I appreciate that, but same in most professional sports outside a wages cap, money talks money wins. For a young man it's the right decision.

And for the record I hope Connacht win the Pro12, I am not a Leinster fan and I am just a rugby fan that sees it differently that all you romantic feckers.
It must be funny putting on the rugby hat, Dinny. The GAA power structures no longer apply so Connacht becomes the diol trua. In the GAA being from Kildare even though it is in Leinster is much more painful. Funny old sporting world...money and not

Absolutely, the IRFU support and fund Connacht far better than the GAA support and fund the likes of Kildare.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 16, 2016, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 10:14:10 AM

Absolutely, the IRFU support and fund Connacht far better than the GAA support and fund the likes of Kildare.
The power dynamics are different. But for Syferus they are the same.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 16, 2016, 11:53:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 11:37:53 AM
George hook gives it bhfaca tu

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/comment-analysis/george-hook-french-defeat-was-an-insult-to-entertainment-joe-schmidt-is-living-a-charmed-life-34453148.html

Who still listens to George Hook? In fact whoever listened to George Hook?

This might interest you Seafoid.

https://www.layahealthcare.ie/headon/

Thanks Dinny. lots of Indo readers probably listen to him. I think he is bang on about Schmidt leading a charmed life

Bord na Mona man

George Hook does Statler and Waldorf for every Irish coach...

Waldorf: That was wonderful!
Statler: Bravo!
Waldorf: I loved it!
Statler: That was great!
Waldorf: Well, it was pretty good.
Statler: Well, It wasn't bad.
Waldorf: There were parts that weren't pretty good, though.
Statler: It could've been a lot better.
Waldorf: I didn't really like it.
Statler: It was pretty terrible.
Waldorf: It was bad.
Statler: It was awful!
Both: Terrible! Eh, boo!

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 16, 2016, 12:22:43 PM

all coaching careers end in failure. Even Cody's will.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 12:44:55 PM

Not necessarily. Some people walk away on top. Alex Ferguson for example.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2016, 01:07:17 PM

Including succession planning ?

Tony Baloney

That is a short list. BOD a recent example.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 16, 2016, 01:53:00 PM

That is a short list. BOD a recent example.

He's talking about coaches. A few coaches would have retired or gone out on top, or at least not ending in failure. Liam Sheedy in Tipperary is another. Bob Paisley at Liverpool.

Never mind me, I'm just being a pedant :) Oh, and Succession planning not included :)