The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

This linking POC to drugs now that he has retired is just bizarre, as someone who has never failed a drugs test or been linked with steroids in anyway during his career (AFAIK) and was the model professional throughout a distinguished career, I think the least he should be given is the benefit of the doubt (even if it is just one person that seems to be doubting him).
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Harold Disgracey

Walter, by any chance do you know how the games with Armagh went last night? My wee lad plays for the U16s and unfortunately we couldn't make it last night. BTW that's a damn fine U16 team you have at Rainey.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 10, 2016, 11:14:24 AM
This linking POC to drugs now that he has retired is just bizarre, as someone who has never failed a drugs test or been linked with steroids in anyway during his career (AFAIK) and was the model professional throughout a distinguished career, I think the least he should be given is the benefit of the doubt (even if it is just one person that seems to be doubting him).

He suffered an injury which is far more likely to happen with steroid use. He is a muscle bound freak who plays a sport which has a big problem with steroids. Dismissing the notion out of hand that he could have taken steroids is naive in the extreme.

Those factors raise a red light for me but as usual if you dare to speak out against rugby in this country you have the rugby nazis coming for you.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 09, 2016, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 09, 2016, 01:27:14 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 09, 2016, 01:14:41 PM
Tearing your muscle clean off the bone is a glaring indication of steroid use.

He's also brand ambassador for Pinergy. I guess the rugby guys lack any sort of confliction where they make their money  from.

For a hater of 'Garrison sports' you seem to know plenty. Slide on back to the Tyrone thread you mug!

Garrison sports?

I'm quite happy to cut through the bluster here. The national hero Paulie may not be quite the guy his national standing portrays him to be.
Are you Tony in disguise?

blewuporstuffed

QuoteHe suffered an injury which is far more likely to happen with steroid use.

You are far more likely to be in a  car accident if you have been drinking, but that doesn't mean everyone that is, is a drink driver.

QuoteDismissing the notion out of hand that he could have taken steroids is naive in the extreme.
But accusing someone of steroid abuse on the basis of zero evidence is ok?  :-\

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Longshanks

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 10, 2016, 11:37:10 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 10, 2016, 11:14:24 AM

He suffered an injury which is far more likely to happen with steroid use. He is a muscle bound freak who plays a sport which has a big problem with steroids. Dismissing the notion out of hand that he could have taken steroids is naive in the extreme.

Those factors raise a red light for me but as usual if you dare to speak out against rugby in this country you have the rugby nazis coming for you.

So every person who works out in the gym and is a 'Muscle bound freak' as you so politely put it, there is a good chance they are on steriods?

I actually think he is the build of any other lock playing rugby to be fair, I'm 6ft6 myself, over 17 stone and if I hit the gym hard like POC has I'm sure I'd muscle up eventually with years of dedication...

Maybe there is a drug problem, I dont have enough details but please fill me in, get me details of other muscle bound freaks and their injuries which raise your Suspicions?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Longshanks on February 10, 2016, 10:38:54 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 09, 2016, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 09, 2016, 04:41:27 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 09, 2016, 04:36:08 PM
So, that's it then.

You're all going to avoid and deflect away from the difficult questions regarding O'Connell. You're all going to try and get confrontational and try and suppress rather than discuss.

The points I have made about O'Connell are most valid, however all those hours you've spent conversing by the water cooler about the "goys" probably has left you in an entrenched  position where retreat doesn't seem like an option.

I wonder were you all such big rugby men back in the early 90s?

You really are a bitter little man aren't you. This obsession with rugby being a game for the wealthy. Did mum and dad not give you much love son??

Well I can assure you the average rugby club and fan in Ireland is not wealthy. I'm a member of the Rainey Old Boys club in Magherafelt. No silver spoons around our club. Sure come on down some time sure.......you never know, you might enjoy yourself!

I'm not bitter, far from it in fact, I have a very sunny disposition and I would suspect you are only coming to that conclusion as you have invested a lot in jumping on the rugby bandwagon and now can't hear any reasonable criticism of it. If my altruistic traits rub people up the wrong way then that's their problem - not mine.

When did you get into rugby anyway? When Ireland became mediocre as opposed to shit at a minority sport and captured the nation's imagination with their World Cup quarter final finishes in a sport that only 9 countries take remotely seriously? When they amalgamated the clubs in the country into four teams where they could go and take on the might of the 3 other domestic leagues in Europe? When rugby marketed itself as some sort of social climbing ladder for the underclass?

Or were you one of the few who actually gave a bollocks about rugby when Ireland were utterly shit back in the early 90s?

Personally, I'd have a moral affliction about supporting an organisation that backed apartheid but each to their own.

I enjoy sports in general, when the masters is on I follow it as well as all the majors but I dont follow every golf tournament, I didnt follow rugby in the early 90s but I dont think I should have to make any apologies for that?

Is the rule now if we don't follow it when we are young we can never follow a new sport? thats just daft!
I enjoy many different sports, hell I even watch the superbowl but I guess I cant comment on that cause I dont watch every bloody match!?

As for drugs in sport, look maybe there is but I dont think the time is right to go for a guy when he has just announced his retirement (Lance Armstrong being the obvious exception)

Not if you don't follow it when you're young, more that you didn't follow it when Ireland were shit. Was it the sport that really wooed you or was the fact that Ireland could achieve relative success in the very shallow pool of competition. It still is a minority sport.

It's got reasonable popularity in France. It's popularity in Italy extends itself to a bunch of farmers in Lombardy. It's got no presence in Spain, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Russia etc etc. If it did then Ireland would be a lowly team receiving regular filletings and there would be little place to laud these bottlers.

You seem to have been enthused by the media cheerleading of a mediocre team in a minority sport.

What do you find aesthetically interesting about a load of overgrown freaks and fatties crashing into each other ad nauseum until the ball is chucked out to some square head who subsequently kicks the ball out of play, deliberately conceding possession.

It's a bat shit crazy game which has bizarrely found popularity in Ireland over the past 15 years. You will most likely find it is the newest avenue for social climbing, you can see that with its popularity with women who have little interest in real sports.

Applesisapples

Bomber your statements about Paul O'Connell are very close to being if not actually libellous. Do you have proof that he abused steroids? If so kindly enlighten us. If not I think you should withdraw the remarks and apologise.

winghalfun

From John Hayes autobiography when Prince William visited the Lion's dressing room during a tour in 2005.

Legend of a story but more importantly legend of a player.*

QuoteAt one stage of the tour Prince William turned up to meet him (Woodward) at training one day. William is a big rugby fan and he came into our dressing room after one of the games and went round shaking our hands. I was sitting next to O'Connell. William told him he'd heard of Munster rugby and the legendary Thomond Park.

So Paulie said to him he should come over for a game some time. William said he'd love to but it wouldn't be easy; a visit like that to Ireland would take a bit or organizing. And quick as a flash O'Connell fires back, 'Some of your ancestors hadn't much problem coming over to Ireland.' He kinda half said it under his breath so I wasn't sure if Prince William had heard it or not. But I had and I nearly fell off my seat laughing.
*Until proved otherwise

Walter Cronc

So Bomber by your bat-crazy theory how would Ireland fare if the world played GAA?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 10, 2016, 11:48:42 AM
Bomber your statements about Paul O'Connell are very close to being if not actually libellous. Do you have proof that he abused steroids? If so kindly enlighten us. If not I think you should withdraw the remarks and apologise.

I didn't say he did.

I'm just stating facts that he plays in a sport with high steroid abuse and suffered an injury that is common in steroid abuse.  The fact is I don't know whether he has or not but I can draw my own conclusions from the information available.

blewuporstuffed

Its strange then, that you find time to post on the Rugby thread.
I have no interest in cricket, I think its sh1t. But I don't feel the need to go onto the cricket thread and repeated tell everyone how sh1t it is. (and throw wild accusations at one of its greatest players in the process)

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 10, 2016, 11:51:43 AM
So Bomber by your bat-crazy theory how would Ireland fare if the world played GAA?

Odd argument. GAA is the national sport and an indigenous game.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 10, 2016, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 10, 2016, 11:51:43 AM

Odd argument. GAA is the national sport and an indigenous game.

Time to crawl back under your rock!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 10, 2016, 11:19:48 AM
Walter, by any chance do you know how the games with Armagh went last night? My wee lad plays for the U16s and unfortunately we couldn't make it last night. BTW that's a damn fine U16 team you have at Rainey.

Sorry HD I dont. Away with work at the min. If I find out I'll PM you. Yeah its a great wee side we have coming through. Putting big effort in at underage.