The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Arnold is English so an easy move for him. Munster just can't produce centres.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 04, 2016, 04:57:29 PM
Arnold is English so an easy move for him. Munster just can't produce centres.

That's true. I was trying to think of one, and couldn't. Rory Scannell might be decent, but he's more of a 10 some say. I can't remember the last home grown Munster centre that was good. I know Earls fancies himself there, but he's a winger. Denis Hurley? Jaysus. The good centres have been south Africans or Kiwis. Larry Murphy, Red Tipoki, Jean De Villiers,  Trevor Halsted.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

whitegoodman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 04, 2016, 04:23:01 PM
I see Sam Arnold has decided to quit Ulster for Munster. He's very highly rated in Ulster and its definitely a blow long term. Good signing for Munster though. Perhaps their lack of midfield options means he'll get more game time and further his development.

He's still eligible (AFAIK) for the Ireland U20s but was retained by Ulster this year to play more Pro 12 games. Be interesting to see what they do now.

Arnold would have been behind McCloskey, Marshall and Olding who are all under 24 as well as Cave and possibly Payne so he was going to struggle for game time for a while.  A good move all round.

Il Bomber Destro

Best of luck to Wales at the weekend.

Walter Cronc

Walter Cronc

Looking like the Irish team will look something like:

15. Zebo
14. Trimble
13. Payne
12. Henshaw
11. Earls
10. Sexton
9. Murray
1. McGrath
2. Best
3. White
4. Toner
5. McCarthy
6. Stander
7. O'Donnell
8. Heaslip

I dont know enough about O'Donnell and Stander. Only seen a few games. Are they up to whats a huge task?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 05, 2016, 12:58:19 PM
Looking like the Irish team will look something like:

15. Zebo
14. Trimble
13. Payne
12. Henshaw
11. Earls
10. Sexton
9. Murray
1. McGrath
2. Best
3. White
4. Toner
5. McCarthy
6. Stander
7. O'Donnell
8. Heaslip

I dont know enough about O'Donnell and Stander. Only seen a few games. Are they up to whats a huge task?

Both good players both will be fine. Zebo at full would be a disaster.

If I had my way no Stander, White of Payne. A South African and 2 Kiwis. You should be living in the country 10 years and have taken Irish citizenship before you should be allowed play for the country. Only exception is if your mother or father was Irish.

But the rules are the rules so they are allowed and I am excited to see Stander play.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Is O'Brien definitely out? Tommy is not back long, this would be a big test for him. That's a fairly active Welsh back row.

Walter Cronc

Yeah apparently SOB and Kearney injured.

I think Zebo is a lot better in the air than he gets credit for. Put it this way he's miles better than Anscombe. The English kicked all day to him last year and he caught everything and made good yardage.

Tipuric in wide channels is a worry! However O'Donnell is of a similar build/speed.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 05, 2016, 01:37:03 PM
Yeah apparently SOB and Kearney injured.

I think Zebo is a lot better in the air than he gets credit for. Put it this way he's miles better than Anscombe. The English kicked all day to him last year and he caught everything and made good yardage.

Tipuric in wide channels is a worry! However O'Donnell is of a similar build/speed.

Zebo has no form though, has been poor for Munster so strange choice when you have Payne who has returned from injury in great form. However in saying that Schmidt is a systems man so the team are picked to play a certain way and perhaps McCloskey isn't ready yet. Tight 5 are a worry....

It won't be a classic...
#newbridgeornowhere

Mikhailov

Surprised by this selection. I would have had Payne at 15, McCloskey at 12/13 for starters. I fear we are going to cleaned out at the breakdown / maul with a brilliant back row from the Welsh.
Interesting that only 3 players remain in position from the Argentina game but we still have a experienced side out but I don't think it will be enough.

Wales by 7+ but hope I am wrong big time.

trileacman

Shocking poor Irish side, Wales could do a runaway victory I fear. Whilst there's so much fanfare around Payne and Hinshaw they've never produced it as a partnership and in my eyes got a free ride from the press who undeservedly crowned them bod darcy 2.0
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on February 05, 2016, 04:02:25 PM
Shocking poor Irish side, Wales could do a runaway victory I fear. Whilst there's so much fanfare around Payne and Hinshaw they've never produced it as a partnership and in my eyes got a free ride from the press who undeservedly crowned them bod darcy 2.0

Payne is still an excellent defender in the outside channel - he will get severely tested here on Sunday however. Jon Davies has an eye for a gap and serious pace to go with it. Tipuric will also be popping up here now and again. I think we can keep pace for the first 60 then I'm fearful.

Bord na Mona man

This Ireland side looks nearly as patched up as the one against Argentina. There is a tipping point when you have more than a certain amount of changes, it becomes difficult to play to a high level.

It'll have to be a game plan with very few moving parts to succeed.
Probably Wales will be able to disrupt Ireland at ruck time, so anticipating this, it'll be a lot of box kicks off slow ball and trying to win penalties and turnovers off kick chases.
2 years ago in this fixture, Ireland kicked every ball back at Wales, forced them into errors and eventually won 26-3. You could try the same plan again and if the pressure is 5% less, Welsh could run it back and carve you open.
Wales have won Grand Slams immediately after the last 2 World Cups, so they'll require stopping.