The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2016, 05:33:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 04:52:57 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2016, 04:48:48 PM
QuoteDinny's favourite 'passion' was very much to the fore

QuoteI think fight, pride and aggression has to be the baseline for any professional rugby team

This.

What happens when you get out passion a team, or you're too up for a game and give a flat performance?

Bottom line Munster fail to perform when it mattered, in the 22 in both games against Leicester and away to Stade. That has nothing to do with lack of passion, that is just poor coaching when the same mistakes are repeated over and over.

You won't get an argument from me about the coaching. But you can't tell me they were at the requisite level of intensity against Stade last week? The way they fell off tackles and got bullied showed that.

You have to start with the right level of intensity and aggression. Call it passion if you like, but if you don't have it, all the coaching in the world won't win a physical game like Rugby. Leinster took a long time to cotton onto that, and when they finally did, with lads like Leo Cullen leading the charge, they became the best in Europe.

It takes both, but you can at least be hard to beat with aggression and intensity, and work from there on the stuff you really need to get to the top.

I'm not disagreeing but you still need skills and a game plan to compliment that intensity and there will be games where you can't perform at a high intensity level. It's about managing energy and the two weeks previous to the Stade game Munster would have put a lot of energy into the Leinster and then the Ulster game, it was inevitable they would hit a wall. I wasn't surprised to see their performance in France.

I think Foley is just a poor coach in how he manages his squad, his limited game plan and his lack of accountability.

A loss for Munster would have been better in the long term, all that win does is reinforce Foley's belief that's about "passion". Meh!

Wouldn't agree with that bit. I know what you are saying, but that performance and attitude was very important on Saturday, in the medium term and long term. Because if they had come out and lay down, a lot of bandwaggoners would just walk away. 

I don't think anybody, Foley included, would think that passion and intensity is enough, and I know the fans still want Foley to be let go at the end of the year. It was just important to show that sense of pride, because if you don't have that, you have nothing to even build off.

Walter Cronc

Conor O'Shea to quit Harlequins.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0120/761557-conor-oshea-harlequins/

New Munster coach possibly?? Or will he make the leap to International with Italy. Who is the Italian coach btw?

Feckitt

Rory Best is the new Ireland Captain for the 6 Nations.  I think this is a great appointment.

I know Best has captained Ireland before, but only on a stand in basis.  Who was the last Ulsterman to be Ireland Captain

thewobbler

There's been a few who've done it for a few games - Simon Best, David Humphreys - but you'd probably have to go Dion O Cuinneagain and the '99 debacle for a naturalised Ulsterman as official captain and maybe to Paddy Johns for a real one.

AZOffaly

I doubt Conor O'Shea will be coming to Munster. In fact I think Foley will extend a year. Unfortunately.

Anyway, on another note, what are people's opinions on International Rugby's eligibility rules. I'm all for someone who feels Irish through bloodline or whatever being allowed play soccer for the ROI, but I can't get my head around these lads coming in from the Southern Hemisphere, staying a few years, and suddenly being Irish? I think it dilutes the whole thing. The following is Joe Schmidt's squad for the 6 NAtions, and while I don't know the back story of some of these lads, and maybe they are born here or lived here since they were kids, which is fair enough, I just can't help feeling that the like of CJ Stander playing for Ireland is a joke.

Home Rugby Irish Rugby Joe Schmidt Unveils Ireland's Six Nations Squad
Joe Schmidt Unveils Ireland's Six Nations Squad
Alan Drumm  January 20, 2016   2 Views

Tweet
+1
TOTAL SHARES 0
Ireland are looking to win their third consecutive Six Nations Championship.

With Ireland about to be entering a period of transition, Joe Schmidt's squad announcement was always going to be of interest for even passive rugby fans.

With the likes of Paul O'Connell and Brian O'Driscoll now firmly out of the picture, players such as Stuart McCloskey and Ultan Dillan have taken the opportunity to put themselves in contention for a place in Schmidt's squad.

However, despite his recent performances, Gary Ringrose has missed out.

Indeed, while Jamie Heaslip has been Ireland's undisputed number 8 for the best part of a decade, CJ Stander's recent performances suggest that the Leinster man will face serious competition.

Paul O'Connell's retirement also means that the position of Captain was up for grabs. In the midst of much debate on the issue, Schmidt handed the role to Ulster's Rory Best.

Ireland Squad.

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) Captain- Born Craigavon
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) - Born Limerick
James Cronin (Dolphin/Munster) - Born Ballincollig
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht)* - Born Paris, France (but moved to Ireland aged 7 and has an Irish mother)
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) - Born Wexford
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) Vice Captain - Born Tiberius, Israel ( Father was based over there in the UN in the Leb)
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster)  - Born Cape Town, South Africa
Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster) - Born in London, but obviously with Irish connections. Played with England at underage.
Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) - Born Dublin
Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster) - Born Dublin
Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) - Born Carlow
Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) - Born Cahir
Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) - Born Dublin
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) - Born Limerick
CJ Stander (Munster)* - Born George, South Africa
Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster) - Born Pretoria, South Africa
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)  - Born Moynalvey
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)* - Born Dublin
Nathan White (Connacht) - Born Hawera, New Zealand

Backs (16)

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)- Born Limerick
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster) - Born Wicklow
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht) - Born Athlone
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) - Born Belfast
David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) - Born Dundalk
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) - Born Dundalk
Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) - Born Dublin
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) - Born Barking, UK, but to Irish parents.
Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster) - Born Ballymoney
Stuart McCloskey (McCloskey/Ulster)* - Born Bangor
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) - Born Limerick
Jared Payne (Ulster) - Born Tauranga, New Zealand
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) - Born Limerick
Jonathan Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) - Born Dublin
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) - Born Belfast
Simon Zebo (Cork Con/Munster) - Born Cork

So it's not out of the bounds of possibility that an Irish team could line out with one third of it being about as much Irish as Nelson Mandela.

Hound

Quote from: Feckitt on January 20, 2016, 02:45:25 PM
Rory Best is the new Ireland Captain for the 6 Nations.  I think this is a great appointment.

I know Best has captained Ireland before, but only on a stand in basis.  Who was the last Ulsterman to be Ireland Captain
The only thing I'd say about Best is that inevitably he'll be taken off around the 60 minute mark, so our captain won't be on the pitch for potentially crucial late decisions.

But as a leader he's definitely the best man. I was at the Argentina match in the World Cup and when things were going pear-shaped it was only himself and Heaslip that were showing leadership, taking responsibility and making concerted efforts to turn things around and talk to teammates. But Best in particular.
Whereas other senior players, in particular Conor Murray and Rob Kearney, were hiding.

AZOffaly

Conor Murray has hid for Munster all year. I'm not necessarily slating him for that, as maybe that's just the sort of quiet lad he is, but he does not have leadership skills, that's obvious. I'd expect Peter O'Mahoney or Sean O'Brien to be the long term captains of the team. Rory probably doesn't have a long time left.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2016, 03:03:03 PM
I doubt Conor O'Shea will be coming to Munster. In fact I think Foley will extend a year. Unfortunately.

Anyway, on another note, what are people's opinions on International Rugby's eligibility rules. I'm all for someone who feels Irish through bloodline or whatever being allowed play soccer for the ROI, but I can't get my head around these lads coming in from the Southern Hemisphere, staying a few years, and suddenly being Irish? I think it dilutes the whole thing. The following is Joe Schmidt's squad for the 6 NAtions, and while I don't know the back story of some of these lads, and maybe they are born here or lived here since they were kids, which is fair enough, I just can't help feeling that the like of CJ Stander playing for Ireland is a joke.

Tweet
+1
TOTAL SHARES 0

With Ireland about to be entering a period of transition, Joe Schmidt's squad announcement was always going to be of interest for even passive rugby fans.

With the likes of Paul O'Connell and Brian O'Driscoll now firmly out of the picture, players such as Stuart McCloskey and Ultan Dillan have taken the opportunity to put themselves in contention for a place in Schmidt's squad.

Indeed, while Jamie Heaslip has been Ireland's undisputed number 8 for the best part of a decade, CJ Stander's recent performances suggest that the Leinster man will face serious competition.

Paul O'Connell's retirement also means that the position of Captain was up for grabs. In the midst of much debate on the issue, Schmidt handed the role to Ulster's Rory Best.

Ireland Squad.

Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht)* - Born Paris, France (but moved to Ireland aged 7 and has an Irish mother)
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) Vice Captain - Born Tiberius, Israel ( Father was based over there in the UN in the Leb)
Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster) - Born in London, but obviously with Irish connections. Played with England at underage.

Backs (16)

So it's not out of the bounds of possibility that an Irish team could line out with one third of it being about as much Irish as Nelson Mandela.
I'd agree with you on the eligibility but all the European Nations are at it.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on January 20, 2016, 03:12:25 PM

The only thing I'd say about Best is that inevitably he'll be taken off around the 60 minute mark, so our captain won't be on the pitch for potentially crucial late decisions.

But as a leader he's definitely the best man. I was at the Argentina match in the World Cup and when things were going pear-shaped it was only himself and Heaslip that were showing leadership, taking responsibility and making concerted efforts to turn things around and talk to teammates. But Best in particular.
Whereas other senior players, in particular Conor Murray and Rob Kearney, were hiding.

Very valid point Hound regarding Best coming off on the 60 mark. I have no problem with Heaslips ability to manage a game when its in the melting pot. Its the fact he's crap with the media and loses the run of himself pre game that makes Best a much more sensible option. Choosing the next captain for 2019 will be interest. POM, SOB and Henderson all injury prone!

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2016, 04:11:32 PM

Tweet
+1
TOTAL SHARES 0

Ireland Squad.

Backs (16)

And the big three in the Southern Hemisphere have been at it for years!

Mikhailov

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2016, 04:11:32 PM

Tweet
+1
TOTAL SHARES 0

Ireland Squad.

Backs (16)

Every European nation !! - every nation in WRU is at it. Sure NZ and Australia raid the Pacific Islands every year for all their good players at youth level and offer them so called contracts to join Super 15 clubs. We are miles behind in terms of this, they have been at it for years.

mikehunt

Quote from: Hound on January 20, 2016, 03:12:25 PM

If you're relying on a man with a fake tan and a fake accent to step up in times of need then you know you're in trouble.

AZOffaly

I'm not arguing any of that. I'm saying its bollix. The term international rugby is a misnomer. It should be called inter federation rugby. We have lads giving out about Irelands Call. Sure jaysus we could play Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika for 3 of them 😃

seafoid

It is no worse than Larry Tompkins playing for Cork .