The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Zero creativity in that Ulster side.

Such a shame Stuart Olding picked up those injuries. The one player who could open things up.

Love to see him back at his best and perhaps in tandem with McCloskey in the centre.

GaillimhIarthair

Yahoooo, thoroughly deserved win down in Thomond for Connacht.  Four pts clear now at the top of the Pro12.  Fair play to Pat Lam, doing a very good job with a relatively young squad and playing a very attractive brand of rugby.  Hope this gives them greater confidence to push on for the remainder of the season. 

seafoid

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 28, 2015, 07:57:35 PM
Yahoooo, thoroughly deserved win down in Thomond for Connacht.  Four pts clear now at the top of the Pro12.  Fair play to Pat Lam, doing a very good job with a relatively young squad and playing a very attractive brand of rugby.  Hope this gives them greater confidence to push on for the remainder of the season.
He's doing a  great job, isn't he ?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2015, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 28, 2015, 07:57:35 PM
He's doing a  great job, isn't he ?
He surely is!  It's not that long ago that Conn would have crumbled after that ridiculous pen try - we have come a long way.  Great to see so many of the team have come through the Conn development system - probably about 15 or 16 of this evenings 23.  Hope Henshaw stays as the kids that go to the sportsground every other week idolise him and I suppose all young ones need heroes!

Walter Cronc

Massive respect to Connacht - the other provinces could learn plenty from them. Invest in your youth, give them a chance instead of employing second rate overseas players.

Henshaw out for 6 weeks is a big blow. Hopefully he'll back in time for the 6 Nations.

Interesting piece by Gerry Thornley on the Lions tour today. I never knew the finances received between the host nation and 4 touring nations was so vast. The ball is surely in the Lions court and they should push for a 50/50 slice!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-want-to-win-a-world-cup-scrap-the-lions-1.2449026

mikehunt

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 01, 2015, 01:06:29 PM
Massive respect to Connacht - the other provinces could learn plenty from them. Invest in your youth, give them a chance instead of employing second rate overseas players.

Henshaw out for 6 weeks is a big blow. Hopefully he'll back in time for the 6 Nations.

Interesting piece by Gerry Thornley on the Lions tour today. I never knew the finances received between the host nation and 4 touring nations was so vast. The ball is surely in the Lions court and they should push for a 50/50 slice!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-want-to-win-a-world-cup-scrap-the-lions-1.2449026

Using the Lions as an excuse for Northern Hemisphere rugby being way behind is a bag of pish. Jerry needs to accept that they're just better at rugby. He's an insufferable gowl.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mikehunt on December 01, 2015, 01:44:02 PM

Using the Lions as an excuse for Northern Hemisphere rugby being way behind is a bag of pish. Jerry needs to accept that they're just better at rugby. He's an insufferable gowl.

I don't think he's insinuating that Mike. However it does take its toll on the players. England will surely have improved come 2017 so we'll not have to worry as they'll supply the bulk of the players!

mikehunt

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 01, 2015, 01:48:08 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on December 01, 2015, 01:44:02 PM

I don't think he's insinuating that Mike. However it does take its toll on the players. England will surely have improved come 2017 so we'll not have to worry as they'll supply the bulk of the players!

Gerry Thornley: Want to win a World Cup? Scrap the Lions
Square pegs in round holes. Wanna win a World Cup? Scrap the Lions. No chance. But just an idea.

That's what his report says. If it takes it's toll on Lions players then would it not also take it's toll on Australia as well? If they came out and said they lost to NZ in the final cos of the Lions matches they'd be laughed out the door.

Walter Cronc

You do understand how Lions tours work don't you?

You play upwards of 10-12 games against Provincial sides and then a 3 test tour against the host nation. During that period of playing regional sides the host nation is in camp preparing and ready to hit you fresh.

Look I'm not on here to slate the Lions or defend Thornley in light of your dislike for him. However i do feel the 4 host nations should receive a 50% share of the funds.

mikehunt

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 01, 2015, 02:38:15 PM

You play upwards of 10-12 games against Provincial sides and then a 3 test tour against the host nation. During that period of playing regional sides the host nation is in camp preparing and ready to hit you fresh.

Look I'm not on here to slate the Lions or defend Thornley in light of your dislike for him. However i do feel the 4 host nations should receive a 50% share of the funds.

They play a few pub teams during the week. That's what the B team is for.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mikehunt on December 01, 2015, 02:51:52 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 01, 2015, 02:38:15 PM

They play a few pub teams during the week. That's what the B team is for.

Good Mike.

Walter Cronc

I see Conor O'Shea turned down the head coach role at Italy. To be honest I'm glad he did. Still have hopes of him returning to an Irish province ahead of possibly being Ireland head coach one day.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/l-equipe-cuts-into-johnny-sexton-and-leinster-1.2466009

"Sexton, the idol of Ireland, who returned home, yesterday played as he often did during his time at Racing 92: transparent, making multiple poor decisions. Visibly, completely out of touch, he symbolises the impotence of his club," L'Equipe said

I wonder have all the concussions gotten to him

GaillimhIarthair

Sexton has been playing poorly for the best part of a year at this stage.  I hope for his own sake it's a form issue and nothing concussion related.  Might be no harm if he took a 6 month sabbatical from the game as per Dan Carter a few years ago but unlikely to happen I guess. 

seafoid

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on December 15, 2015, 07:18:02 AM
Sexton has been playing poorly for the best part of a year at this stage.  I hope for his own sake it's a form issue and nothing concussion related.  Might be no harm if he took a 6 month sabbatical from the game as per Dan Carter a few years ago but unlikely to happen I guess.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-johnny-sexton-burdened-by-weight-of-expectation-1.2466435