The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: johnneycool on March 24, 2015, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2015, 01:20:04 PM
For what it's worth, the Opta Stats team of the tournament is

Loose Head - Alistair Dickinson (Scotland)
Hooker - Leonardo Ghiraldini (Italy)
Tight Head - Dan Cole

Second Row - Luke Charteris (Wales)
Second Row - Johnny Gray (Scotland)

Blind Side - Peter O'Mahony (Ireland)
Number 8 - Billy Vunipola (England)
Openside - Chris Robshaw (England)

Scrum Half - Conor Murray (Ireland)

Outhalf - George Ford (England)

Wing - Jack Nowell (England)

Inside Centre - Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)

Outside Centre - Jonathan Joseph (England)

Wing - Tommy Bowe (Ireland)

Fullback - Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

You'd have to be wearing a serious set of green tinted glasses to have Tommy Bowe in any team of the tournament in fairness

It wasn't a tournament for Wingers with only North, Watson and Bowe playing all the games for their teams. Ireland won so Tommy Bowe should get the nod I think.

muppet

Some first 6N for Robbie Henshaw. A championship win under his belt and a nomination for Player of the Year. In most people's team of the year ahead of the likes of Jamie Roberts and he isn't even playing in his usual position.
MWWSI 2017

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on March 24, 2015, 03:44:17 PM

Tight Head - Dan Cole

You'd have to be wearing a serious set of green tinted glasses to have Tommy Bowe in any team of the tournament in fairness

It wasn't a tournament for Wingers with only North, Watson and Bowe playing all the games for their teams. Ireland won so Tommy Bowe should get the nod I think.
Clive Woodward selected Bowe in his team of the tournament as well.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Estimator on March 24, 2015, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 24, 2015, 03:44:17 PM

Tight Head - Dan Cole

Clive Woodward selected Bowe in his team of the tournament as well.
As did Lawrence Dallaglio in The Sunday Times if I recall correctly. LOL had 6 Irish players and Stephen Jones had 2  :o

oakleaflad

A guy asked me the question in work if you had to pick the full backs for the Lions tour now who would you bring and who would miss out? I couldn't really answer to be honest, so I'll ask here.

AZOffaly

Halfpenny surely? And Mike Brown probably. If you were bringing 3, it would be a tough call between Hogg and Kearney.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2015, 12:14:32 PM
Halfpenny surely? And Mike Brown probably. If you were bringing 3, it would be a tough call between Hogg and Kearney.

Judging on the 6N it would be hard to make the case for Kearney!

JoG2

4 superb players. Does halfpenny offer as much as the others outside of his kicking? tough to cull any of them

muppet

Quote from: JoG2 on March 25, 2015, 12:30:27 PM
4 superb players. Does halfpenny offer as much as the others outside of his kicking? tough to cull any of them

Depends on the coach and what he wants.

If you need a kicker, Halfpenny. If not, then not Halfpenny and the other 3 offer more elsewhere.

I'd start Hogg, Brown is a good runner but Brown conceded 9 turnovers in the 6N. Coaches wouldn't like that. Kearney is the most solid and experienced as the best in the air, if that is what floats your boat. Kearney would definitely travel imho.

So if you would want to start him as kicker, Halfpenny, followed by Kearney and Hogg.
If not, Hogg, Kearney and Brown.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

You could argue Wales are a more potent side with Liam Williams at FB as was evident when Halfpenny went off concussed. That said Halfpenny is probably the worlds best kicker so a place in the starting 15 is a must.

muppet

Remember Sean O'Brien missed a match.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

That's probably not surprising. I'd say Ireland had the most attacking rucks in the tournament because the gameplan was very tight, and kick based, until the last game v Scotland. Ruck, recycle, ruck, recycle, ruck recycle.

What are the carrying stats? I bet the Irish forwards carries are among the leaders as well.

gallsman

Just caught last few minutes of Leinster match. They got very lucky there on the last Glasgow turnover as Kirchener made an almighty tackle where he made no attempt to use the arms. Should have been a relatively handy penalty to win it.

seafoid

screenexile

Was just reading that Sexton had an absolute shocker for Racing at the weekend against Saracens. Did anyone watch the game? What happened?